ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Official Game Thread: Purdue-Nebraska (link)

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Good evening,

Purdue is the favorite tonight in a game that feel like it should be the underdog. Why? The Boilermakers are going to have to prove that they can score, because right now I don't have - and more important they don't have - a lot of faith that they can get the ball regularly into the end zone. Only one touchdown now in the last two games, including the miserable performance last week at Rutgers.

So what does Purdue do?

That's the rub, right? I'm not sure what it changes, certainly not much from a personnel point of view. If it felt Isaac Zico was more ready, then he'd be getting in there more frequently. Terry Wright can be a weapon — and I'd guess we see more of him earlier — but Corey Holmes isn't close, I don't think.. JaMarcus Shephard barely even mentioned the ND transfer when asked about the newcomers earlier this week.

Maybe David Blough will take over at quarterback, providing a steady hand there when Purdue hasn't had one recently. The junior is our (my?) guess as Purdue's starter, but we'll see. Regardless, he needs to be better, and he's been good against Nebraska historically, so maybe that's a positive.

I can't help but feel that Purdue's offensive confidence is shaken. It just don't seem to feel like it can score after it gets in the red zone. An example: That trick play from the 11 last week, the double-reverse lateral (or whatever). It's just not a play that works with only 30 yards of real estate. An odd call, but one that's telling of the lengths Jeff Brohm feels he needs to go to to get the ball in the end zone.

Will Purdue have to gadget its way to scores tonight?

Injuries are a factor: Grant Hermanns will be missed. It's possible the redshirt freshman was playing as Purdue's best offensive line. Nebraska's pass rush isn't great, but it's better than Rutgers. Purdue will have to keep the pressure off the QBs. But the interior of the line has been as leaky lately as any other part.

Purdue might need a similar defensive effort today as last week, but the Cornhuskers do things a little differently, with a trio of solid receivers and a couple good TEs. And Tanner Lee has cut down the turnovers lately, something the Boilermakers will need to reverse.

And here I go again telling you all the reasons why I feel Nebraska will win, as I did in the predictions. But then I chose Purdue.

Couple other notes: Purdue is wearing the neon green socks today, as part of its hammer down cancer game. Can't tell yet the rest of the uniform. Today, in my opinion, is must-win in terms of postseason. Purdue did that to itself last week. Tario Fuller is said to be back. Where does he fit in the RB rotation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News