ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Official Game Thread, Illinois at Purdue ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
The Boilermakers need a win today.

Have to think they'll be able to get it, against an Illinois team that is extremely young, with something like 15 freshmen who have started and 22 who have played. And all the matches, as we've discussed this week. I don't see how Illinois puts enough points on the board to win.

Of course, we'll take a look at Purdue's injuries. A little early in pregame to get an assessment - we'll add to this later - but if Ja'Whaun Bentley, T.J. McCollum and Da'Wan Hunte are out, then maybe that even things up a bit. Actually, McCollum has been deemed out, I guess, but we'll look at the other two.

If Purdue was down both linebackers, then it might significantly change what the defense does. It'd still have Markus Bailey and Garrett Hudson/Derrick Barnes, but not sure that's the threesome the Boilermakers want to have to go with. Maybe nickel? Well, if Hunte doesn't play, then you're down another DB. Not sure putting five on the field all the time is the wisest either.

So, we'll see. Maybe Bentley is good to go and solves all of it.

Tight end Cole Herdman, who missed last week, is warming up and appears to be moving around. That would be a help.

Purdue should win this game, I'd think. Everyone points to the Boilermakers, the same as it did two weeks ago at Rutgers, so there's the concerns. But if Purdue wins, it keeps alive an outside shot at six and the postseason. Lose, and well the entire outlook of the season changes, in my opinion. It almost erases all the earlier successes, and Purdue certainly doesn't want that.

Reactions: Dr_billy_badass
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News