ADVERTISEMENT

Off-season volleyball thread…

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Heard Brielle Warren has entered the portal, any off-season news would be appreciated. Next year has the potential to be a final 4 year.

Not portal related but saw that Wiscy has three non super players transferring along with three seniors graduating. And they have a great group of 6 high school players coming in

Not portal related but saw that Wiscy has three non super players transferring along with three seniors graduating. And they have a great group of 6 high school players coming in
Guarentee they add a high level transfer or two.

Heard Brielle Warren has entered the portal, any off-season news would be appreciated. Next year has the potential to be a final 4 year.
Sorry, I love Purdue, but we were at best 10th best team this last year. I don't see us getting that much better by adding three walkons while Texas has already added a quality transfer.

Sorry, I love Purdue, but we were at best 10th best team this last year. I don't see us getting that much better by adding three walkons while Texas has already added a quality transfer.
Hopefully, a portal transfer is coming, yea, not sure about the recruits, don’t believe their names have been mentioned. Purdue was probably around 10-12 range last year, have 6 of 7 starters returning including 2-3 All American types, should be a very good team.

Hopefully, a portal transfer is coming, yea, not sure about the recruits, don’t believe their names have been mentioned. Purdue was probably around 10-12 range last year, have 6 of 7 starters returning including 2-3 All American types, should be a very good team.
Very good, agreed, great, not there yet... 2-4 players away yet imo

2024 hs recruits are Allie Shondell (S), Jessica Foster (DS/OH) and Ryan McAleer (libero). Since they are not signed to LOIs, Coach Shondell cannot talk about them until they are enrolled.

Last edited:
It was reported here at some point that McAleer was rated the top LIbero in the country. How can this be true if she is just a walk on. I can see getting the other two to walk on because of their relationship to Purdue but not the other if true about her. And how are these ladies rated relative to other recruits nationally?

Reactions: Boilermb
It was reported here at some point that McAleer was rated the top LIbero in the country. How can this be true if she is just a walk on. I can see getting the other two to walk on because of their relationship to Purdue but not the other if true about her. And how are these ladies rated relative to other recruits nationally?
With Warren leaving maybe she gets the scholarship? I imagine a player or maybe 2 more move on as well.

I think a more question is: Who will CDS add to his coaching staff? This is a critical hire as the program moves forward. Since Dave probably has 3-4 more seasons before he retires, will there be a transition plan put in place for his successor?

I have been wondering why a new assistant hasn't been chosen already. He has had a long time to find one. We need a super knowledgeable and great recruiter to keep things going higher. Puzzling to me but he must have his reasons

I have been wondering why a new assistant hasn't been chosen already. He has had a long time to find one. We need a super knowledgeable and great recruiter to keep things going higher. Puzzling to me but he must have his reasons
I don’t think Purdue posted the job until early December and the big hiring season is after the NCAA tournament. They might already have somebody in mind, but with the holidays the process is typically delayed. Also, many people conduct interviews at the coaches convention held in conjunction with the Final 4.

I don’t think Purdue posted the job until early December and the big hiring season is after the NCAA tournament. They might already have somebody in mind, but with the holidays the process is typically delayed. Also, many people conduct interviews at the coaches convention held in conjunction with the Final 4.
Any chance someone like Otec gets it?

Any chance someone like Otec gets it?
Now that’s an interesting thought…. Didn’t realize until late in this recent season that she had left - was it Eastern Michigan? - for WKU. If she has the coaching skill set for that role on Dave Shondell’s staff, I would be thrilled to see her come on board.
She was an elite bundle of energy, fight, doggedness, and skill - and would be very relatable to current players

So, if I remember correctly McAleer was on the national team with Lanie Choboy (Nebraska) and maybe Chloe Chicoine at one point for the age group. That’s definitely elite company because it’s a small number of girls on the national team for each age range.

I was told - and I don’t know how accurate this because I haven’t gotten a chance to look into it more - that it is unusual/uncommon for DS/libero roles to be 4y scholarships. That they are often different but I don’t know enough about college volleyball to confirm that. I was also told that in volleyball there are 2y scholarships, not just 4y ones? When I get a chance I was going to do some research and I’ll report back.

Reactions: DocRon and Boilermb
So, if I remember correctly McAleer was on the national team with Lanie Choboy (Nebraska) and maybe Chloe Chicoine at one point for the age group. That’s definitely elite company because it’s a small number of girls on the national team for each age range.

I was told - and I don’t know how accurate this because I haven’t gotten a chance to look into it more - that it is unusual/uncommon for DS/libero roles to be 4y scholarships. That they are often different but I don’t know enough about college volleyball to confirm that. I was also told that in volleyball there are 2y scholarships, not just 4y ones? When I get a chance I was going to do some research and I’ll report back.
She’s listed on the USA Volleyball U19 team site for 2023, but did not make the 12 player roster for the FIVB Girls World Championship. https://usavolleyball.org/womens-national-team/girls-u19-team/

Reactions: DocRon
Just read that Kathy Jewell has been promoted to Associate Head Coach - Recruiting Coordinator.

Cool, there’s still a down level spot available correct? Would love to see Otec return.
Yes and you may see some other movement among the coaching slots before there’s an external hire. Prior to the ‘23 season, you could only have the number we had/positions we had all season (with John Shondell gone) so it wasn’t actually a huge change number wise after he left compared to previous years (experience and roles he played likely a big change though) because they’d promoted/added a coach coming into the season.

I figured the job would go to Jewell, she’s been with Dave since he was hired, just like John was. But even with more movement among existing coaches, there’s still an open spot and it would be great to see Otec back!! I’d love that.

Yes and you may see some other movement among the coaching slots before there’s an external hire. Prior to the ‘23 season, you could only have the number we had/positions we had all season (with John Shondell gone) so it wasn’t actually a huge change number wise after he left compared to previous years (experience and roles he played likely a big change though) because they’d promoted/added a coach coming into the season.

I figured the job would go to Jewell, she’s been with Dave since he was hired, just like John was. But even with more movement among existing coaches, there’s still an open spot and it would be great to see Otec back!! I’d love that.
I would guess she would love to be back, we’ll see.

There must be a reason but I can't figure out why it is taking this amount of time to complete the staff since John Shondell left. With that kind of lead time would have thought That position would have been filled awhile ago to get a head start on recruiting for the years ahead

Reactions: MichaelRR
There must be a reason but I can't figure out why it is taking this amount of time to complete the staff since John Shondell left. With that kind of lead time would have thought That position would have been filled awhile ago to get a head start on recruiting for the years ahead
Is it possible Shondell was hoping he’d come back? Maybe it was family stuff that Coach was hoping would be resolved.

Is it possible Shondell was hoping he’d come back? Maybe it was family stuff that Coach was hoping would be resolved.
I think it was timing - it’s hard to hire in season and have many options and I think they probably shifted responsibilities to Jewell anyway. I’d guess they have to post the job potentially and follow hiring rules (not sure what they are but most universities have rules they have to follow) so it just seemed easier to wait since they had the same number of coaches they’d had for 20y.

This is only sort of confirmed (people both in support of Shondell and against him said there was so I do think that’s true) and I don’t know the details of the actual complaint/investigation but volleytalk had a thread where a poster said there was an investigation into complaints made over the summer. It was confirmed by someone who supported John in the thread too (so I think it’s true there was a complaint and investigation). Allegedly, Dave was cleared, but John resigned. Speculation is he just wanted it to go away and since he was the one in the crosshairs, that ended the investigation/consequences from it. Based on what I saw, it seemed people in the know think (or know) the complaint came from three athletes who transferred. If any of that is true, even just an investigation or complaint, I don’t think they thought he’d come back. The poster who shared the info def had an ax to grind so I don’t give a lot of credit to it beyond that someone who was defending both Shondells confirmed there was a complaint/investigation when defending them. So I’d say I’m 75% confident there was a complaint, and possibly an investigation. I’ll see if I can find the thread again and post it here if you’d like to see for yourself.

Last edited:
My guess is that Purdue will look to hire a more seasoned coach versus somebody who has two-three years of experience. Dave’s brother did a lot of the skill development and I think the program might need somebody more experienced at this stage.

As a side note just saw where the top player from Minn transferred to Nebraska for her last year of eligibility. Almost impossible to compete with Nebraska,Wisconsin and Texas when they keep getting players like tis

As a side note just saw where the top player from Minn transferred to Nebraska for her last year of eligibility. Almost impossible to compete with Nebraska,Wisconsin and Texas when they keep getting players like tis
She has 2y because of Covid and an injury/redshirt year.

Nebraska def gets the cream of the crop but they are more like Purdue in that they will fill holes or weaknesses with transfers but prefer their own recruits. They just get the top of the top tier recruits because of their history, John Cook and NiL now. Last year they got the top transfer (Beason) but they only had an incoming freshman opposite so it was more of a need vs just taking whoever is in the portal and top tier (which is what Texas does imo).

I think TL is a huge risk so I’m fascinated to watch this one. Maybe it works for Nebraska but she was not good this year, couldnt pass, is apparently a team player issue (rumor is if she didn’t transfer the entire Minnesota roster wanted out), among other things. Nebraska’s weak spot was their other OH spot (Batenhorst since Krause was injured) but for us our OH spots are Eva and Chloe, both who play 6ro and have proven themselves. Cook may lose Krause or Batenhorst over this, and I certainly don’t want Shondell to risk Eva or Chloe for 2y of TL who has had injury issues along with effort issues. But anyway, I guess my point is Id rather do things in the transfer portal Nebraska style, because I think it’s more sustainable.

My guess is that Purdue will look to hire a more seasoned coach versus somebody who has two-three years of experience. Dave’s brother did a lot of the skill development and I think the program might need somebody more experienced at this stage.
It’s annoying, that’s why I hope Purdue gets a talented transfer this off-season, if not likely a 3-4th place Big Ten season followed by a sweet 16/possibly elite 8 tourney run.

John Klanac is the new volleyball assistant coach. He was previously at Rice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT