ADVERTISEMENT

Nice article by Carmin in Lafayette JC - interviews w Bo & Versyp.

What is also interesting is why we did not play in the post season tournaments, and why we folded a bit toward the end of the year. Things happen. Some of those things are good, but some of those things are "bad". The team got hit with some of those "bad" things. Let's hope that will all be behind us, and we come out with a chip on our shoulder and kick some butt next year.

What is also interesting is why we did not play in the post season tournaments, and why we folded a bit toward the end of the year. Things happen. Some of those things are good, but some of those things are "bad". The team got hit with some of those "bad" things. Let's hope that will all be behind us, and we come out with a chip on our shoulder and kick some butt next year.
Team returns its entire starting 5 and top bench players, add to that 2 solid Frosh and a good transfer and good things should be in store. I realize many want Sharon gone and deep down want to see the team lose, I for one will never root against Purdue athletes, just can't do it.

Reactions: mathboy and DocRon
I used to be a big supporter of Sharon V., but recent years have eroded that support I do worry that she is not growing with her team, and that her offense will still be so very basic. This year will be the watershed. If her relatively basic offense was driven by lack of talent, and the now-talented-team demonstrates a much more sophisticated offense, I will be one of the first to flip my perspective.

I would say the best of all scenarios is to have our current coach succeed. Recruiting on the women's side of the sport seems to have a long lead time. Changing coaches would be detrimental to our recruiting. We have seen that before. It takes a while to get back to where you were, let alone progress.

We have miles to go before this new freshman class is integrated into a functional team, and the product hits the floor. No desertions or injuries please!

:cool:

I used to be a big supporter of Sharon V., but recent years have eroded that support I do worry that she is not growing with her team, and that her offense will still be so very basic. This year will be the watershed. If her relatively basic offense was driven by lack of talent, and the now-talented-team demonstrates a much more sophisticated offense, I will be one of the first to flip my perspective.

I would say the best of all scenarios is to have our current coach succeed. Recruiting on the women's side of the sport seems to have a long lead time. Changing coaches would be detrimental to our recruiting. We have seen that before. It takes a while to get back to where you were, let alone progress.

We have miles to go before this new freshman class is integrated into a functional team, and the product hits the floor. No desertions or injuries please!

Exactly, team needs to stay intact, if they do next season should be a good one, if not, she'll be let go!

Students of history would disagree. Our best ranked class in history was the one Kristy Curry brought in her first season at Purdue. Three Top 25 players in Shereka Wright, Erika Valek and Cherrise Graham. Two great support players in Beth Jones and Lindsay Hicks and outstanding Shalicia Hurns. As freshman Wright and Hurns were NCAA Final Four first team all tournament. Graham got homesick and Hurns got in trouble and yet the class still is the winningest in school history with 115 wins and 23 defeats.

Students of history would disagree. Our best ranked class in history was the one Kristy Curry brought in her first season at Purdue. Three Top 25 players in Shereka Wright, Erika Valek and Cherrise Graham. Two great support players in Beth Jones and Lindsay Hicks and outstanding Shalicia Hurns. As freshman Wright and Hurns were NCAA Final Four first team all tournament. Graham got homesick and Hurns got in trouble and yet the class still is the winningest in school history with 115 wins and 23 defeats.
I admire your constant positive spin on things, Des. (Smile)

I’m puzzled... the J&C article by Mike Carmin was reprinted last Sunday in the IndyStar. My brother sent me the article, I re-read it, and having time to delve into Coach’s statements I have a couple questions:

1. It was stated that the decision to skip the WNIT was made “two or three weeks ahead of time” because some “players bodies were breaking down”. So... if, IF Purdue had somehow performed well enough in the B10 Tourney to get an NCAA bid, would they have declined? I’m guessing no, b/c ROI for an NCAA bid is probably worth going and losing your first game, regardless... whereas WNIT, not so much...

2. Coach mentioned having a young team “not used to playing 30 games” was a factor in the February slump (additive to the mental, emotional strain of the 3 family deaths) - which I found curious because she later said the 36+ minutes/game played by the starters was a non-factor in their hitting a wall in February.

3. The third thing I saw - and this may just have been an innocent mis-statement - Coach was listing all the “hits” the team took (deaths, injuries) and said Traylor turned her ankle “and then she’s gone for 2 & 1/2 weeks”. The author then notes parenthetically that Traylor missed one game and played 23+ minutes in 8 of the last 10 games... which I interpret as a contradiction to her statement.

I don’t know... I want this team to produce, to win, to be exciting, to shine! Wish I could sense more energy from the coaching staff. Fingers crossed for 2019-2020

Reactions: mathboy and DocRon
I’m puzzled... the J&C article by Mike Carmin was reprinted last Sunday in the IndyStar. My brother sent me the article, I re-read it, and having time to delve into Coach’s statements I have a couple questions:

1. It was stated that the decision to skip the WNIT was made “two or three weeks ahead of time” because some “players bodies were breaking down”. So... if, IF Purdue had somehow performed well enough in the B10 Tourney to get an NCAA bid, would they have declined? I’m guessing no, b/c ROI for an NCAA bid is probably worth going and losing your first game, regardless... whereas WNIT, not so much...

2. Coach mentioned having a young team “not used to playing 30 games” was a factor in the February slump (additive to the mental, emotional strain of the 3 family deaths) - which I found curious because she later said the 36+ minutes/game played by the starters was a non-factor in their hitting a wall in February.

3. The third thing I saw - and this may just have been an innocent mis-statement - Coach was listing all the “hits” the team took (deaths, injuries) and said Traylor turned her ankle “and then she’s gone for 2 & 1/2 weeks”. The author then notes parenthetically that Traylor missed one game and played 23+ minutes in 8 of the last 10 games... which I interpret as a contradiction to her statement.

I don’t know... I want this team to produce, to win, to be exciting, to shine! Wish I could sense more energy from the coaching staff. Fingers crossed for 2019-2020
Team will be a lot better, should 100% make the tournament if everyone stays healthy and defections are limited to no more than 1 or at the most 2, hopefully none!

Regarding number one, going into the B1G Tournament I think everyone realized the chances of winning four games in a row against the best in the conference was barely perceptible. I don't think anyone worried about “what if” too much.

Reactions: mathboy

Talk is cheap! :(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT