ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's Team

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
With all the excitement about this year, we may forget how young this team actually is. No seniors. I suspect AJ will go pro after this year, but everybody else should be back. Rapheal as a senior will be a solid leader. Stephens should start the year healthy and maybe shuck this sophomore slump. Add the 2 solid freshmen to the mix and a red shirt Taylor, and I think we could be a favorite to win the BIG next year. The question is: Can Haas replace Hammons? I'd say the answer is yes.

If Swanigan or some other high level player commits, that would be a spectacular team.

Yogi and likely JBJ will be gone from IU. Whisky will be rebuilding. MSU will lose #22, but will have a freshman star coming in. Russell might go pro at OSU, but I doubt it. Iowa should still be tough, but will lose White, and they don't have much coming in. Michigan is also very young, but they have not shown the promise that the young Boilermakers have.

I'd say that OSU and Purdue might be the favorites to win the BIG next year. Next year is going to be fun.

cool.r191677.gif

I feel Haas would easily replace Hammons rebounding, have similar offensive production, but won't be close on defense.

Haas has to show he can go the length, he's massive and gets winded, (hey it's normal)
Taylor is still a bit of an unknown at this point with his injuries, love his potential but lets temper expectations.

Also replacing Octeus will be very hard, he might be the best PG under the Painter tenure, including LewJack. I believe Scott can be the guy, but still has a ways to go with his jump shot and decision making.
We have a good mix, with a great shooter coming in but definitely some shoes to fill.

Originally posted by mathboy:
With all the excitement about this year, we may forget how young this team actually is. No seniors. I suspect AJ will go pro after this year, but everybody else should be back.
Umm - Octeus? Point guard could be an issue next year.

One other difference. Even if Haas can come close to AJ's production. Who is going to come close to Haas's production when he is in foul trouble or resting? He isn't going to be a 30+ minute per game next year. What makes you so sure yogi and blackman will be gone?

With all the excitement about this year, we may forget how young this team actually is. No seniors. I suspect AJ will go pro after this year, but everybody else should be back. Rapheal as a senior will be a solid leader. Stephens should start the year healthy and maybe shuck this sophomore slump. Add the 2 solid freshmen to the mix and a red shirt Taylor, and I think we could be a favorite to win the BIG next year. The question is: Can Haas replace Hammons? I'd say the answer is yes.

If Swanigan or some other high level player commits, that would be a spectacular team.

Yogi and likely JBJ will be gone from IU. Whisky will be rebuilding. MSU will lose #22, but will have a freshman star coming in. Russell might go pro at OSU, but I doubt it. Iowa should still be tough, but will lose White, and they don't have much coming in. Michigan is also very young, but they have not shown the promise that the young Boilermakers have.

I'd say that OSU and Purdue might be the favorites to win the BIG next year. Next year is going to be fun.

cool.r191677.gif
Math, usually your posts are spot on but I have to question where Blackmon's going? It's not the NBA because he's too small to be a SG, he's not a good enough ball handler to run the point, he's not really quick enough to defend anyone in the show. I've been told that he's not happy at IU, and I won't be surprised to see him transfer...I'll say no more, but think Blue and White and Cal. UK is a much better fit for him and was all along, and had it not been for his mama throwing a fit 20 minutes before he announced, he'd have been with his buddy Lyles. And I agree that PU should be one of the favorites to win not only the B10, but to make a serious run for the FF.

Answers to the original poster: Overall, I agree. Purdue could be very good next year. However, the team is losing Octeus, who has been crucial to this season's success. Purdue will need players to step up to fill the PG void next season. We all know who they are. And a lot of next season's success will depend on how much they improve and fill that role.

Hammons improvement on both sides of the ball this year has been incredible. Different types of players, but it kinda reminds me of the amount of improvement JJ had from his Soph to Jr season. To say Haas can fill that void, if AJ goes pro, is a bit of wishful thinking IMO, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Love the way Haas works, but experience is one of the best teachers, especially for 7 foot big men.

Russell might go pro??? Russell is very likely a top 3 pick in the draft. However, OSU, MSU, and Illinois all have nice classes coming in.

When was the last time Wisconsin was "rebuilding?..." They don't. They reload. And will be returning Koening, Hayes, and quite possibly Dekker. How do they replace a guy like Kaminsky? The same way they replaced bigs like Wilkinson, Butch, Krabbenhoft etc. With other big men within the system. Wouldn't be surprised to see Vito Brown really step up for them next year. A lot of Badger fans are excited about what he brings to the table in the front court.

Illinois is getting better each year under Groce and next year should be no different. Maryland returns some nice players. MSU, OSU will be in the mix as well as Purdue, Iowa and Wisconsin.

Personally, I'm just hoping Purdue makes the tournament before I declare them #1 in the B1G pre-season poll.

Wisky will not be rebuilding they will be a top 25 team. They will have Decker, Hayes, Keoning, and I believe their injured PG is a junior. They will be average if Decker leaves though.

This post was edited on 3/3 2:47 PM by BoilerFan#35

Originally posted by BoilerFan#35:
Wisky will not be rebuilding they will be a top 25 team. They will have Decker, Hayes, Keoning, and I believe their injured PG is a junior. They will be average if Decker leaves though.

This post was edited on 3/3 2:47 PM by BoilerFan#35
Traevon Jackson is a senior.

Russell is gone - he would be a fool not to.

While Haas has certainly been better than I expected, I think the bigger question is the back-up situation. Look at this year, if Haas wasn't around - not sure how effective we'd be. So next year, Taylor is a question mark for us (not as much of the coaching staff I suppose). Haas isn't a guy that's going to be playing 30-35 minutes a game. And I think Haas is ahead of where Hammons was as a freshman, but he still has some significant issues that are "covered up" by sharing playing time. Again, nothing that he can't learn, but still issues.

If we can get a consistent 3 point shot from more than 1 guy next year, we'll be in a good situation. Staying healthy is part of that issue.

Originally posted by TwinDegrees2:

cool.r191677.gif
Math, usually your posts are spot on but I have to question where Blackmon's going? It's not the NBA because he's too small to be a SG, he's not a good enough ball handler to run the point, he's not really quick enough to defend anyone in the show. I've been told that he's not happy at IU, and I won't be surprised to see him transfer...I'll say no more, but think Blue and White and Cal. UK is a much better fit for him and was all along, and had it not been for his mama throwing a fit 20 minutes before he announced, he'd have been with his buddy Lyles. And I agree that PU should be one of the favorites to win not only the B10, but to make a serious run for the FF.
From what I'm hearing, JBJ will find someplace else to play next year. I agree that he probably won't go pro. Both he and Yogi are too short for NBA players. They both could head to Europe. Hell, I would if I were in his shoes - get out of a bad situation (In his mind), earn some $$$ and play for fun.

To some of the other comments, I can't disagree that there will be real questions about who backs up Hass? Who is our PG? Will Stephens come out of his slump? I think all the BIG teams have Question marks. We just have fewer of them... at least for next year.

cool.r191677.gif

I don't understand the assumption that seems to be prevalent here that Hammons is leaving. If you review the draft projection websites (which are updated often), AJ, at best, is considered a late 2nd rounder. In many mocks, he is still off the board entirely. There are two ways to entice the NBA scouts: 1) potential 2) production. AJ's age takes the "potential" option off the table. He has shown this year that he is able to be consistently be productive but the NBA may want more of a sample size. It's possible, if we make the tourney, win a few games, and AJ dominates, that his stock will shoot up. But barring that, he is probably better served sticking around one more year. He would be a national name next year and we, as a team, could be poised to do something special. That may be his best path to the pros.

Love AJ. He's been a positive kid the whole time he's been here. Finally is showing his potential but unless he can extend his range to at least a consistant 15 foot jumper he's not going to the NBA and may just end up with a decent European career.

Chuch, The minimum salary is $507,336[/B]. For the first time in NBA history, every player will make at least half a million bucks for an entire season.

He's guaranteed to make no less than half a million bucks....for sitting on the bench if that's where he winds up. He can buy some pretty comfy ass pads and still have a lot left over.

Agree with Hunk; biggest loss will be Octeus. Nobody on the team now that can step in at that level; nobody coming in that could reasonably be expected to play at that level; have to find a transfer/5th yr senior. Huge void and I think the biggest difference between this year and last; of course AJ's improvement, Raphael's improvement, and the addition of Edwards are not far behind.

Originally posted by Lionheart1:
Agree with Hunk; biggest loss will be Octeus. Nobody on the team now that can step in at that level; nobody coming in that could reasonably be expected to play at that level; have to find a transfer/5th yr senior. Huge void and I think the biggest difference between this year and last; of course AJ's improvement, Raphael's improvement, and the addition of Edwards are not far behind.
I don't think PG will be that big of an issue. If Scott can keep his head about him and play SMARTER, he's got the skills to play it. Thompson, with a year under his belt will...or should...be much improved and he can play it. Davis, if need be though not my #1 choice can play it. Or....there could be another 5th year player already to come that we don't know about.

I don't think anyone would disagree with what you have to say. Keep in mind we went through similar situation with JaJuan - there were people who thought he was gonna leave after his sophomore year! Then junior…

Like I said, I think if he has no chance to go first round this year, I personally think he should come back. However, as someone else pointed out, he's going to struggle to really enter a first round discussion unless he develops offense away from the basket, which would be tough to do in one season. So the question is whether he's near his ceiling in terms of NBA stock given his age, etc.

If AJ comes back, I think he has a legit shot, if he continues his hard work, to have such a great overall season that he could be Big Ten player of the year. But look at Frank Kaminsky - he's a 7 footer that can hit 40%+ from 3 and people are skeptical of him in the mid to late first round. AJ doesn't even have a 14 foot shot, let alone a 3 point shot. So the question is whether he'd ever get to that point of being a first round pick.

1 year of 500k on a non guartaneed 2nd rd contract or 2m for a first rounder. Unless an underclassmen is a first rounder there is no reason they should leave early. I think at the end of the season when hammons talks with Painter and others he will ultimately come back for his sr year. Besides I think hes having fun now, amd this offseason will allow him to develop his outside jump shot.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT