ADVERTISEMENT

My All-Big Ten ballot

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Here is the ballot I submitted to the Big Ten Sunday morning. Unfortunately, logistically, I had to submit it prior to that afternoon's and evening's games, which might have changed some things had I had a chance to hold off.

First team
? Draymond Green, Michigan State
The Big Ten Player-of-the-Year. People laughed at me two years ago for putting him on my first team two years ago. No one will be laughing now.
? Jared Sullinger, Ohio State
Not as dominant as year ago, but a no-brainer.
? Cody Zeller, Indiana
He played like a junior as a freshman and made everyone on that team better.
? Tim Frazier, Penn State
His team is bad, but I'm not so sure he's not the best guard in the Big Ten. His numbers, especially in light of the fact he has no help, are awesome.
? John Shurna, Northwestern
Northwestern is this close to making the NCAA Tournament finally and Shurna's the reason.

Second team
? Trey Burke, Michigan
Michigan had to fret when Darius Morris went pro, having no idea Burke would prove to be an upgrade.
? Robbie Hummel, Purdue
I'd have loved to put him on the first team and you could make a strong case. He certainly is playing like a first-teamer right now. It's just the injuries were too much for him to play at this level all season.
? Jordan Taylor, Wisconsin
He wasn't as good this season as last, but he set an awfully high standard for himself.
? Matt Gatens, Iowa
He was playing about as well as anyone in the league there in a complete of those games late in the season.
? Tim Hardaway, Michigan
He made a really big jump from Year 1 and to Year 2 and is a big reason Michigan won a share of the league title.

Third team
? Wiliam Buford, Ohio State
Buford is a great complement to Sullinger and as Matt Painter once called him, "a professional shooter."
? Meyers Leonard, Illinois
He disappeared at times, but he's the most talented player in the Big Ten if you ask me. He's just a coach-killer.
? Brandon Paul, Illinois
Didn't want to vote for him, but a 43-point game against Ohio State and his solid numbers forced me to. Another coach-killer, though.
? Victor Oladipo, Indiana
The energy he's brought to the Hoosiers has been very distinct.
? D.J. Byrd, Purdue
This was my proximity-driven reach vote and I apologize to Drew Crawford, Deshaun Thomas and guys like them if I reached, but I've seen all season how Byrd's shooting and energy have helped Purdue keep on track when things could have gone sideways and stayed that way. He literally saved Purdue when Hummel wasn't shooting well.

Coach-of-the-Year: Tom Izzo, Michigan State
Again, I had to submit my ballot assuming Michigan State was going to beat Ohio State, so John Beilein got the shaft here.

Freshman-of-the-Year: Cody Zeller, Indiana
It's not close, IMO. Trey Burke filled a hole; Zeller transformed a program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News