ADVERTISEMENT

MSU at Purdue WVB

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Discouraging loss in set #1 23-25.. Purdue had built a 6-7 pt lead and then MSU fired off 8 straight points Purdue could never catch up. Our offense is not its usual. Heaney not playing.

I have felt all along this is a trap game. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermb and DrEss
Purdue wins in breathtaking fashion in extra points 30-28 on an ace serve by Ali Hornung. Colvin playing very well fighting off set point after set point. Holdem for MSU (a freshman) has been almost unstoppable.

Chloe having one of her worst games with only 4 kills in 24 attacks. Poulter in this set for a struggling Anderson.

Last edited:
In a close set, Purdue wins set #3 25-23 to lead 2-1. Purdue playing much better. Purdue hit 0.350 this set vs 0.229 for MSU. Colvin has been the star of this match although Eva has been good (both with 12 kills) and Chloe is playing much better.

And Purdue wins the match with a domination of set #4 25-18. Chicoine made an amazing recovery from set #1 hitting negatively with multiple errors but ending the match for the Boilers with 18 kills hitting 0.250.

One and a half sets in I was sure the Boilers were in to be upset. Coach Shondell deserves credit for qsueaking by in set 2 and then being in command for the last two sets. Good job.

MSU’s Holdem had a double double with 23 kills and 12 digs hitting 0.203. A star in the making.

Purdue’s blocking was excellent with a match total of 16 vs 12 for MSU. Lourdes Myers was credited with 9 and Colvin with 6 along with 12 kills. Poulter’s ability to find our middles was a big key to the game.

Last edited:
Discouraging loss in set #1 23-25.. Purdue had built a 6-7 pt lead and then MSU fired off 8 straight points Purdue could never catch up. Our offense is not its usual. Heaney not playing.

I have felt all along this is a trap game. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon
Some additional CDS’s comments from the situation room.
Kenna Wollard is being groomed for the left side since we only have Chloe and Eva there now.
Emily Rastovski is nursing a sore shoulder.
CDS pointed out that MSU played on Wednesday so had more time to prepare for today’s match. Purdue only had Saturday to prepare.
The 6-2 that MSU runs limits their defensive substitutions, because they are subbing a hitter for a setter each time a setter rotates into the front row, and vice versa.
CDS was asked about our incoming 2024 recruiting class. He said he could not comment on them because none of them will start out on scholarship.
Was asked about setting back row hitters. Said that Chloe and Eva have to take off behind the 10 foot line but actually want to contact the ball about 7 feet from the net.
This has probably already been mentioned, but CDS said Hornung had the best day of her career versus Minnesota.

Some additional CDS’s comments from the situation room.
Kenna Wollard is being groomed for the left side since we only have Chloe and Eva there now.
Emily Rastovski is nursing a sore shoulder.
CDS pointed out that MSU played on Wednesday so had more time to prepare for today’s match. Purdue only had Saturday to prepare.
The 6-2 that MSU runs limits their defensive substitutions, because they are subbing a hitter for a setter each time a setter rotates into the front row, and vice versa.
CDS was asked about our incoming 2024 recruiting class. He said he could not comment on them because none of them will start out on scholarship.
Was asked about setting back row hitters. Said that Chloe and Eva have to take off behind the 10 foot line but actually want to contact the ball about 7 feet from the net.
This has probably already been mentioned, but CDS said Hornung had the best day of her career versus Minnesota.
Glad to hear the reason why Rastovski wasn’t in. She went in when Heaney went out with her ankle injury, but hasn’t played since. Was wondering why Wollard was playing for Heaney. The first set or so was a bad run for Chloe (negative hitting percentage) and Eva (under .200) yet we kept trying to force it without setting the middles hardly any. When Poulter came in the first two sets were to Raven. She did a good job of feeding the middles and it paid dividends getting many points. It almost seemed to free up the outside hitters. Maybe because they had to worry about blocking both the middle and outside. Chloe did a fantastic job from her early negative hitting to leading the team with 18 kills on a .250 percentage.

From the “you think you’re having a bad match”, #2 on MSU at one point had a negative 400 hitting percent. Something like 2 kills, 11 errors on 21 attempts. She ended up negative 400: 2 kills and 12 errors on 25 attempts.

Keeps us tied with PSU on the conference record, but third due to the sweep. PSU giving WI only it’s second loss (I assume) helps us because we swept PSU, but now we have to play WI just after they lose.

Glad to hear the reason why Rastovski wasn’t in. She went in when Heaney went out with her ankle injury, but hasn’t played since. Was wondering why Wollard was playing for Heaney. The first set or so was a bad run for Chloe (negative hitting percentage) and Eva (under .200) yet we kept trying to force it without setting the middles hardly any. When Poulter came in the first two sets were to Raven. She did a good job of feeding the middles and it paid dividends getting many points. It almost seemed to free up the outside hitters. Maybe because they had to worry about blocking both the middle and outside. Chloe did a fantastic job from her early negative hitting to leading the team with 18 kills on a .250 percentage.

From the “you think you’re having a bad match”, #2 on MSU at one point had a negative 400 hitting percent. Something like 2 kills, 11 errors on 21 attempts. She ended up negative 400: 2 kills and 12 errors on 25 attempts.

Keeps us tied with PSU on the conference record, but third due to the sweep. PSU giving WI only it’s second loss (I assume) helps us because we swept PSU, but now we have to play WI just after they lose.
Sort of odd, Purdue planning on a transfer or two in the off-season? Next year should be a real good one, maybe Coach feels a stud transfer like Wisky gets yearly is the route to take next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT