ADVERTISEMENT

MSU and Wisc

Wisconsin says "Oh shit we are behind by 11, we better turn the lights on" and they did.

And now OT. Not surprising this was going to be a war based on how these two teams have been playing lately.

Quite a battle - just went to OT - 69 - 69. One of the better games I've seen this year - both teams playing well on both ends. And the coaches' facial expressions have been entertaining as well. :)

Originally posted by CRBoiler:
Quite a battle - just went to OT - 69 - 69. One of the better games I've seen this year - both teams playing well on both ends. And the coaches' facial expressions have been entertaining as well. :)
Wisky may be one of those teams of destiny. They don't make mistakes and they don't beat themselves.

How much could Bo make if he chose to leave Madison for a warmer climate?

Originally posted by PDX_Boiler:
No points by MSU in the OT, did not expect that. But that's Wisconsin D.
Yeah but Wisconsin was lucky. If the foot on the line is called, MSU might/should have won. I think luck follows you when you are good but it just shows many games can go either way.

So happy to see the whiner and the thug loss like that. I don't think I have ever disliked two people in college basketball more than Izzo and his bought boy dawson. Congrats to Wisky on the comeback!! ONIONS for Bronson!

Exactly, glad to see the whiner and his thugs go down. Have to say Badgers had me worried in regulation though.

OrigMUDlly posted by GemstateBoiler:

Yeah but Wisconsin was lucky. If the foot on the line is called, MSU might/should have won. I think luck follows you when you are good but it just shows many games can go either way.
Yes. MSU got hosed on that call. Should have at least stopped play to look at that call. Probably determined the outcome.

Originally posted by boiler-deuce:

Yes. MSU got hosed on that call. Should have at least stopped play to look at that call. Probably determined the outcome.
Gasser's foot was on the line, yes.....don't think the official was in position to see it. The key, though, is no call was made, so I don't think there's any way to really review that. There wasn't anything to overturn, but maybe the rules allow something......I heard on the telecast something to the effect that two players or more needed to ask...did I hear that, correctly? I don't think it's like a two-pt/3pt review type stop.

In any event, Michigan State probably wins the game if that call isn't missed, but you never know.....although, they were doing well from the line for a change.

Although you hate to see a call get missed, I'm not in favor of stopping the game or going back and making calls that weren't made after-the-fact, unless there is some type of limited challenge/review process.

Michigan State played well, and they had plenty of chances to close that game out, including Dawson's jumper at the end of regulation. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out. I was a little surprised that they let some of the contact go in the paint on both ends of the floor....but for the most part, I thought it was a well-officiated game for the conference.

Originally posted by Purdue Grad in Texas:

Gasser's foot was on the line, yes.....don't think the official was in position to see it. The key, though, is no call was made, so I don't think there's any way to really review that. There wasn't anything to overturn, but maybe the rules allow something......I heard on the telecast something to the effect that two players or more needed to ask...did I hear that, correctly? I don't think it's like a two-pt/3pt review type stop.

In any event, Michigan State probably wins the game if that call isn't missed, but you never know.....although, they were doing well from the line for a change.

Although you hate to see a call get missed, I'm not in favor of stopping the game or going back and making calls that weren't made after-the-fact, unless there is some type of limited challenge/review process.

Michigan State played well, and they had plenty of chances to close that game out, including Dawson's jumper at the end of regulation. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out. I was a little surprised that they let some of the contact go in the paint on both ends of the floor....but for the most part, I thought it was a well-officiated game for the conference.
I actually put that wrong. I think play was already stopped. One official was a good distance away by had a good angle. I actually noticed it on the replay. In real time the angle was bad for the viewer. After the replay, I was screaming at the screen. Then they highlighted that foot. I mean if fans see it, there should not be a messed up call like that. No way that I was the only person to see it before the highlight replay. I think it decided the winner.

Deuce

I actually put that wrong. I think play was already stopped. One official was a good distance away by had a good angle. I actually noticed it on the replay. In real time the angle was bad for the viewer. After the replay, I was screaming at the screen. Then they highlighted that foot. I mean if fans see it, there should not be a messed up call like that. No way that I was the only person to see it before the highlight replay. I think it decided the winner.
Totally agree. After it was confirmed I thought wow Wisconsin has their planets in line today. When it looked like Wisconsin was going to get beat earlier, I actually was ready to post a thread that maybe Deuce was right about the Badgers but they did find a way and that sometimes happens with certain teams.

Re: Deuce

Originally posted by GemstateBoiler:

Totally agree. After it was confirmed I thought wow Wisconsin has their planets in line today. When it looked like Wisconsin was going to get beat earlier, I actually was ready to post a thread that maybe Deuce was right about the Badgers but they did find a way and that sometimes happens with certain teams.
Yes, they really got on a roll after being down by 11. I'll give them credit for that...however, I believe, MSU was robbed. I'm not a big MSU fan and had no skin in the game. I still think they're lucky to get past the Sweet16. JMHO. We gave them a hell of a fight, and we're not that good yet. We're clearly much improved, but not there yet. And, MSU was dominating them after the half and IMO got a bit complacent. I do still think Wisco gets the benefit of favorable calls....that won't happen in the NCAA.

I actually put that wrong. I think play was already stopped.

Play was not stopped. The saved ball was thrown high into the air and came down around the lane area. Almost a jump ball and Valentine got position and made the catch. However, he then had a brain fart and threw a pass up toward half-court that was caught by Wisky player who drove toward hoop with defense out of position. Not sure if he was fouled, passed the ball, or shot....but my point is that the play went on for 10-20 seconds (at least) before the next whistle. And many things happened during that time INCLUDING AN MSU POSSESSION.

Was it a bad no-call? Yes. But if the whistle did not blow when it occurred, what can you do? You cant rewind all the action that occurred between the natural stoppage of play and the blown no-call.

Originally posted by StateStreet123:

I actually put that wrong. I think play was already stopped.

Play was not stopped. The saved ball was thrown high into the air and came down around the lane area. Almost a jump ball and Valentine got position and made the catch. However, he then had a brain fart and threw a pass up toward half-court that was caught by Wisky player who drove toward hoop with defense out of position. Not sure if he was fouled, passed the ball, or shot....but my point is that the play went on for 10-20 seconds (at least) before the next whistle. And many things happened during that time INCLUDING AN MSU POSSESSION.

Was it a bad no-call? Yes. But if the whistle did not blow when it occurred, what can you do? You cant rewind all the action that occurred between the natural stoppage of play and the blown no-call.
Yes, true. Play was not stopped. That brain fart pass...forgot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT