ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Basketball analysis

buygreekbonds

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 16, 2011
Seems like an Indiana kid who wafnts to be Mr. B and plans to go to school out of state will delay the announcement of his college choice until Mr. B is named. Of course he keeps an Indiana school in his "final 3 list".

Let's see if it happens again next year.

I'll admit, I don't follow high school basketball that closely, but it appears from Rivals that Isaac Humphries from La Porte is the highest rated recruit (#29 nationally) in the 2016 class and he doesn't currently have offers from Purdue or IU (Rivals lists Illinois and Kansas as the only schools that offered and then also lists Arizona, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and New Mexico as schools with interest). Eron Gordon from Indianapolis (#57) is next and he does have IU and Purdue offers (as well as Butler, ND, and Arizona State). Kyle Guy from Indianapolis (#59) is next and has already committed to Virginia. Nolan Narain (a teammate of Humphries) is #63 and has a number of offers from mid to upper level schools (Kansas State, Illinois, Gonzaga, Xavier), but not from Purdue or IU.

It'll be an interesting race next year for Mr. Basketball for sure.

Oh, and I also see La Porte La Lumiere High School also has the #111 recruit in the country. With 3 players in the top 115 and two in the top 65, is there any reason they shouldn't win the state championship? Again, I really don't follow high school basketball that closely

Originally posted by TyHay822:
I'll admit, I don't follow high school basketball that closely, but it appears from Rivals that Isaac Humphries from La Porte is the highest rated recruit (#29 nationally) in the 2016 class and he doesn't currently have offers from Purdue or IU (Rivals lists Illinois and Kansas as the only schools that offered and then also lists Arizona, Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and New Mexico as schools with interest). Eron Gordon from Indianapolis (#57) is next and he does have IU and Purdue offers (as well as Butler, ND, and Arizona State). Kyle Guy from Indianapolis (#59) is next and has already committed to Virginia. Nolan Narain (a teammate of Humphries) is #63 and has a number of offers from mid to upper level schools (Kansas State, Illinois, Gonzaga, Xavier), but not from Purdue or IU.

It'll be an interesting race next year for Mr. Basketball for sure.

Oh, and I also see La Porte La Lumiere High School also has the #111 recruit in the country. With 3 players in the top 115 and two in the top 65, is there any reason they shouldn't win the state championship? Again, I really don't follow high school basketball that closely
1. Do they even compete for the state title as they are a different kind of institution?

2. I would say the bigger question is why Painter is not active there @ La Lumiere? I am sure there is a reason, I am just not aware of it.

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:
1. Do they even compete for the state title as they are a different kind of institution?

2. I would say the bigger question is why Painter is not active there @ La Lumiere? I am sure there is a reason, I am just not aware of it.
I honestly have no idea. I'm really not familiar with La Lumiere

Originally posted by buygreekbonds:
Seems like an Indiana kid who wafnts to be Mr. B and plans to go to school out of state will delay the announcement of his college choice until Mr. B is named. Of course he keeps an Indiana school in his "final 3 list".

Let's see if it happens again next year.
I would imagine the hold on announcing has more to do with the "Business decision" aspect of the situation than anything with Mr. Basketball as we have had many of them go out of state. IMO -Holding it up until spring just brings in more behind the scenes money....All along lots of talk by the CS camp on "it is a business decision where CS goes" that is simply dialogue to the behind the scenes money men that more cash needs to come our way. I believe the MSU coaching staff is NOT a part of this directly.......but both parties (the recruit & in this case MSU) are aware & know behind the scenes happenings from the money men goes on....... and each side benefits from it accordingly. And like I said in another post, the business is now concluded......Congrats to MSU....they got a nice player, we all would have liked to have.

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:

I would imagine the hold on announcing has more to do with the "Business decision" aspect of the situation than anything with Mr. Basketball as we have had many of them go out of state. IMO -Holding it up until spring just brings in more behind the scenes money....All along lots of talk by the CS camp on "it is a business decision where CS goes" that is simply dialogue to the behind the scenes money men that more cash needs to come our way. I believe the MSU coaching staff is NOT a part of this directly.......but both parties (the recruit & in this case MSU) are aware & know behind the scenes happenings from the money men goes on....... and each side benefits from it accordingly. And like I said in another post, the business is now concluded......Congrats to MSU....they got a nice player, we all would have liked to have.
There may very well be some truth to that thought in general, but I think it's a little unfair to be insinuating that on particular individuals without any evidence whatsoever. Caleb's guardian is a Purdue alum; I'd hope if the board is going to potentially accuse one of it's own of being involved with under-handedness that there would at least be a minimum threshold of actual info to base that on. Certainly "business decision" could mean "money bags", but it could also mean a lot of other things too.

If he thinks he's one-and-done and that his goal is to be in the NBA next season, it's possible that "business decision" is as simple as which program is going to better his chances for accomplishing that goal. Either way, short of reasonable information to the contrary, I trust that he had Purdue in his final 3 and that he picked the school that best suited him, however he meant about making that determination. It's not like he picked MSU and then proceeded to bad-mouth Purdue, make negative remarks about the staff, etc. Just because he didn't pick here doesn't mean he hates Purdue or that there is automatically cash changing hands.

Re: Mr. Basketball analysis two recent recruits...

Raphael Davis and Jay Simpson played at La Lumienre

Originally posted by Bigohh:
they committed before attending.

La Lumiere is not considered to be an IHSAA school, so they do not participate in the state tournament. They are a prep school.

As far as why their top players (at least ever since Davis, Simpson, and Hanner Mosquera-Perea played there in 2011-2012) have been steered towards choosing out of state colleges every year, that's a mystery to me.

Originally posted by TyHay822:

LaLu is not a member of the Indiana High School Athletic Association, so they are not permitted to compete in IHSAA events. Not being a member allows them to recruit across the nation and to play against top teams out of state.

Originally posted by nat100:

Originally posted by Bigohh:
they committed before attending.
and they (and Marcius) played for a different coach at LaLu. After they left LaLu hired a new coach - former AAU coach of Indiana Elite out of bloomington

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT