ADVERTISEMENT

Most heartbreaking loss?

You have that wrong. It was the 1999-2000 season. Wisconsin beat Purdue 3 times that year. Twice during the season and once in the Big 10 tournament. Wisky was an 8 seed and Purdue a 6th seed. Purdue lost in the elite 8 for a 4th time to Wisky who beat #1 Arizona in 1st rd. Purdue blew some FT's in that game too.... That lost to Cincy doesn't compare to some heartbreak losses over the years. I been following Purdue since the 1984 Big 10 co champ season and you have to take into consideration the talent, seeding and opponent. Considering Kentucky was next up. This loss was not that heartbreaking.

I am going to make a list of Purdue losses in a new post. You make the list of worst losses in tournament.

Totally agree 4purdue. I can't watch any game on TV on the Minny floor without replaying Robbie's injury. He was in the process of dismantling Minny and no contact, etc....... I still remember it like yesterday. I have been a Boiler fan for over 50 years and seen them all but that was by far the worst.loss.....even though we did win that game.

Heartbreak / ballbuster categories with worthy nominations …

Worst NCAA Choke - [/B]

1988 vs. Kansas State; decisive possession kicked out of bounds as No. 1 seed lost 73-70 to same team it had beaten 101-72.

1996 vs. Western Carolina; No. 1 seed 73, No. 16 seed 71; No. 1 seed lost next game to unranked eight-seed Georgia 76-69.

2011 vs. Virginia Commonwealth; nation's No. 13 team lost 94-76 in Chicago.

2015 vs. Cincinnati; led opening-day's prime-time national telecast on CBS by 56-49 with 48 seconds left; lost 66-65 in OT, blowing 14-game winning streak in NCAA openers and chance to play unbeaten Kentucky in another featured game.

Worst Ever Choke -[/B]

2003 at Colorado State; ranked No. 21 after beating No. 2 Duke, team led 69-65 with 1 second left but gave up two 3-pointers in final .7 second to lose 71-69.

http://www.purduesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/123003aaa.html

Worst NCAA Screwjob -[/B]

1990 vs. Texas; Tony Jones fouled with no call on blocked final drive; lost 73-72.

1995 vs. Memphis; Roy Hairston held down under basket with no call on putback attempt of final shot; lost 75-73.

Worst Big Ten Screwjob - [/B]

1990 at Michigan State; Tony Jones fouled with no call on collision steal leading to winning breakaway drive in game to decide Big Ten championship; lost 72-70.

Worst Personnel Loss -[/B]

1969 NCAA Final vs. UCLA; Rick Mount's ankle.

1994 NCAA Quarterfinal vs. Duke; Glenn Robinson's back.

2004 Big Ten Season; Chris Booker's eligibility; from 14-4 start and national rankings after beating No. 2 Duke to 3-10 finish.

2010 at Minnesota; Robbie Hummel's knee.

2011 Season; Robbie Hummel's knee.

Worst NCAA Disappointment - [/B]

1969, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015.

Best Team -[/B]

1932 … then three-time All-American John Wooden winds up coaching at UCLA via Indiana State, beating alma mater in 1969 NCAA Final.

Worst Losers -[/B]

2015 … all the losers on this forum who were afraid to play Kentucky.

Originally posted by indyogb:
Some of the others mentioned I don't know about (either I wasn't convinced they were that good or I wasn't old enough to remember them) - but that 2010 team was as good as Duke or Butler, who played in the championship game. I don't know if I want to change my answer (Wisconsin, 2010 Elite 8), but it's damn close. I hate the Barn (come to think of it, I really, pretty much hate everyone in the Big Ten except, maybe Rutgers :D).

Some day, when we least expect it, Purdue is going to have a fluke run all the way. Some day... ;)
And I bet you are a Cubs fan like me too....
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That was a painful thread to read. My most painful moment as a Purdue fan had to be when I heard that Robbie Tore his Knee for a second time. I was at a home football game and that game became totally meaningless after that moment. It was like a hush came over the crowd.

1990 vs. Texas; Tony Jones fouled with no call on blocked final drive; lost 73-72.

That was a clean block. I remember this being a terribly officiated game, but the block at the end was clean.

Block

Yes. We must have had 25,000 fans at the dome. But it was Everette Stephens that dribbled off his foot.

A major personnel loss for that UCLA game in 1969 was Chuck Bavis. He did not play due to injury. He played well against Alcindor in previous games. His presence would have given us a better chance. I don't have the stats in front of me, but we had a crazy number of more shots than they did - something like 27 more shots - but still lost by 20 for second place. I think Gilliam and Keller played hurt In that game.

Agree topurdue. That was a clean block. Keady blew up after the game because rightfully Texas guards were pushing Purdue players off in the chest to open up space for jumpers. However Purdue had a 9pt lead with 9 minutes to go. #2 seed in Indianapolis against a 10 seed. No way Purdue should lose that game. Then Keady just embarrassed himself blowing up at Press Conference. The Hairston pull down against Memphis was a legit gripe. Refs didn't have guts call it.

BTW I was not afraid of playing Kentucky. Trying put the loss in perspective. This team was not going to beat Kentucky and go on to the Final 4. The talent and ability was not there. YET.

That Cincy loss could help down road. The team was struggling to close out games all year. The Illi game at home they struggled against press. Struggled against Rutgers. Penn St in Big 10 tourney they struggled close them out. Finally came back to bite them. Look at the IU game. Baker has not played well lately for Wichita St. But he hit the FT's to close IU out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT