ADVERTISEMENT

More good news from President Potato

I’m sorry So Port-au-Prince is a $450 2 1/2 hour flight to Miami. Reynosa Mexico (where i saw a group interviewed) is a 19 hour flight. And has about a dozen connection and 5x expensive. Wouldn't it be easier to fly to Miami? or even Canada? And cheaper.

I don’t even know how to respond to this. The first step in applying for asylum is to lay out why it is unsafe to return to your country. If a Haitian has been living in South America for the last decade, they wouldn’t make it through the initial interview.
To start, I noticed you didn't take up my offer to provide you direct connections where you, Peabodius, could provide the assistance you say is needed. So do they need help, or just help from other people? Extra room at your house call the consulates for your region and volunteer as a sponsor. https://www.haiti.org/consular-offices/ That is very helpful in one obtaining temporary standing: I for one applaud your efforts in advance and please keep the board up to date. Post pictures and such.

Second. Sooo you must not really be following what the CPB and ICE agents are complaining about. Thousands were already allowed in w/very little vetting and stats say they probably will never show up for hearings which are being for 5 to 7 years out.

Third. If they are coming from S. America then they have several countries of safe haven to claim asylum, stay, and await their hearings handled there. For example, Guatemala. Cant get to the US from Brazil w/o passing Guatemala.

To start, I noticed you didn't take up my offer to provide you direct connections where you, Peabodius, could provide the assistance you say is needed. So do they need help, or just help from other people? Extra room at your house call the consulates for your region and volunteer as a sponsor. https://www.haiti.org/consular-offices/ That is very helpful in one obtaining temporary standing: I for one applaud your efforts in advance and please keep the board up to date. Post pictures and such.

Second. Sooo you must not really be following what the CPB and ICE agents are complaining about. Thousands were already allowed in w/very little vetting and stats say they probably will never show up for hearings which are being for 5 to 7 years out.

Third. If they are coming from S. America then they have several countries of safe haven to claim asylum, stay, and await their hearings handled there. For example, Guatemala. Cant get to the US from Brazil w/o passing Guatemala.
No, I have no plans to host a family in my home. That doesn’t change the fact that the US is perfectly capable of bringing in thousands of refugees every year. In the long run, it’s a net positive to our economy.

Why do you hate immigration so much?

No, I have no plans to host a family in my home. That doesn’t change the fact that the US is perfectly capable of bringing in thousands of refugees every year. In the long run, it’s a net positive to our economy.

Oh.....so you don't want to host a Haitian family because that might be inconvenient, expensive and probably uncomfortable. But, you're perfectly fine with telling the government they should?

Typical lefty/lib hypocrite.

Yes, but you see, we are currently letting in thousands every WEEK.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Oh.....so you don't want to host a Haitian family because that might be inconvenient, expensive and probably uncomfortable. But, you're perfectly fine with telling the government they should?

Typical lefty/lib hypocrite.
My ability or desire to host a family is completely unrelated to whether the US should take on refugees. We do it for humanitarian reasons, and we do it for economic reasons. The US economy benefits from immigration. You are creating a false equivalency, I assume because you don’t have a good argument on why we shouldn’t offer assistance to people in need.

Are you pro-life? How many babies will you be adopting when Roe vs Wade is overturned? I know, it’s a stupid question. But that’s the logic you are using.

My ability or desire to host a family is completely unrelated to whether the US should take on refugees. We do it for humanitarian reasons, and we do it for economic reasons. The US economy benefits from immigration. You are creating a false equivalency, I assume because you don’t have a good argument on why we shouldn’t offer assistance to people in need.

Are you pro-life? How many babies will you be adopting when Roe vs Wade is overturned? I know, it’s a stupid question. But that’s the logic you are using.
Good luck, rational arguments don’t work on irrational people.

Reactions: Peabodius
We shouldn’t offer immigration (illegally) to anyone until every US veteran has a bed to sleep in and health care. That’s where I want my taxes and donations going. Take care of our own first.

and I won’t be any children. I’m pro choice.

Good luck, rational arguments don’t work on irrational people.
Certainly not on lefties, Libs and dems. You guys are so reactionary and impulse oriented. You never consider long term consequences of anything.
Brandon is exhibit #1.

We shouldn’t offer immigration (illegally) to anyone until every US veteran has a bed to sleep in and health care. That’s where I want my taxes and donations going. Take care of our own first.

and I won’t be any children. I’m pro choice.
First if all, we aren’t talking about illegal immigrants. Refugees and asylum seekers go through a legal process to obtain residency.

Second, excellent misdirect! Well played sir. But how can we focus on homeless vets while there are children suffering from leukemia? We can only focus on one thing at a time, so shouldn’t it be kids dying from cancer?

First if all, we aren’t talking about illegal immigrants. Refugees and asylum seekers go through a legal process to obtain residency.

Second, excellent misdirect! Well played sir. But how can we focus on homeless vets while there are children suffering from leukemia? We can only focus on one thing at a time, so shouldn’t it be kids dying from cancer?
I'm all for providing kids with cancer free medical treatment before we provide another dollar for an immigrant, refugee or asylum seeker. Where do I sign up?

The $60B President Dip$hit has provided Ukraine in the last 3 months would have helped treat a lot of kids and house a lot of Vets.

I'm all for providing kids with cancer free medical treatment before we provide another dollar for an immigrant, refugee or asylum seeker. Where do I sign up?

The $60B President Dip$hit has provided Ukraine in the last 3 months would have helped treat a lot of kids and house a lot of Vets.
Oh, so you acknowledge that we can address multiple problems at the same time. So really you are just making excuses why we shouldn’t take in immigrants without actually explaining why you don’t like immigrants.

How about 2.2M/year?

Oh, so you acknowledge that we can address multiple problems at the same time. So really you are just making excuses why we shouldn’t take in immigrants without actually explaining why you don’t like immigrants.
Where did I say I dislike immigrants? Show me.
I don't dislike immigrants, I just love Americans more and feel they should be prioritized before your and my taxes dollars go elsewhere.

I don't dislike immigrants, I just love Americans more and feel they should be prioritized before your and my taxes dollars go elsewher
I don't dislike immigrants, I just love Americans more and feel they should be prioritized before your and my taxes dollars go elsewhere.
Immigration is a net positive for the economy. When people settle here, they become tax payers. Of everything we’ve talked about (veterans, cancer kids, Ukraine), immigration is the only one that pays for itself.

Immigration is a net positive for the economy. When people settle here, they become tax payers. Of everything we’ve talked about (veterans, cancer kids, Ukraine), immigration is the only one that pays for itself.
OMG!!!

Holy $hit....you might be one of the most brain washed libs I've ever heard. God help us...... (I'm just curious; how old are you?)

Sure pump up legal immigration while turning a blind eye to illegal immigration. How does allowing ~2M illegals in the country per year help America? Please explain that……..
No.

Not pumping up anything. Just pointing out that some of you lump legal immigration.......which you all say is fine and lovely.........in with illegal immigration.

I'm sure it's just a typo.

• Haha
No.

Not pumping up anything. Just pointing out that some of you lump legal immigration.......which you all say is fine and lovely.........in with illegal immigration.

I'm sure it's just a typo.
I am fine with legal immigration and have been for years. I never lump these two things together.

No, he's talking about asylum seekers and refugees. That's different than the legal immigration process.
Really??

So when he says.....

"Immigration is a net positive for the economy. When people settle here, they become tax payers. Of everything we’ve talked about (veterans, cancer kids, Ukraine), immigration is the only one that pays for itself."

...... he's talking about illegal immigration? What's not true about what he said with regard to legal immigration?

It's pretty clear......as were you.

You don't like immigration period......but only bitch about the illegal kind.

• Haha
Really??

So when he says.....

"Immigration is a net positive for the economy. When people settle here, they become tax payers. Of everything we’ve talked about (veterans, cancer kids, Ukraine), immigration is the only one that pays for itself."

...... he's talking about illegal immigration? What's not true about what he said with regard to legal immigration?

It's pretty clear......as were you.

You don't like immigration period......but only bitch about the illegal kind.
I had a nanny for 8 years who was an immigrant from Guatamala. She came here, did things right, worked her ass off, went through the citizenization process and cried her eyes out at the citizenship ceremony. She's a legal immigrant and now a fellow American. That's the proper process.

So when he says....."Immigration is a net positive for the economy. When people settle here, they become tax payers. Of everything we’ve talked about (veterans, cancer kids, Ukraine), immigration is the only one that pays for itself."
I doubt there is any sound way to measure the full economic impact of legal immigrants, and thus to know if it really pays for itself. That sounds like something Washington and other business elites like to say when what they really want is cheap labor - including educated labor from countries like India.

Some, but not all, legal immigrants become taxpayers, and that tax income can be measured - but does it reflect the loss of tax income from higher salaried citizens who are replaced?

Some small percentage become long-term welfare recipients, which also can be measured.

Some become criminals, even murderers, but I doubt the full negative economic impact of the murder of a productive taxpaying citizen, for example, can be or is measured. Likewise the impact of legal immigrants who become drug dealers and so forth. Small numbers perhaps, but if those people were not here they would not be committing those crimes.

Likewise for a host of other economic costs to society, such as increased burdens on public schools and social services, greater pollution from more drivers, etc etc.

Certainly illegal immigrants don't pay for themselves, but I doubt the standard line that legal immigrants pay for themselves can really be backed up.

I doubt there is any sound way to measure the full economic impact of legal immigrants, and thus to know if it really pays for itself. That sounds like something Washington and other business elites like to say when what they really want is cheap labor - including educated labor from countries like India.

Some, but not all, legal immigrants become taxpayers, and that tax income can be measured - but does it reflect the loss of tax income from higher salaried citizens who are replaced?

Some small percentage become long-term welfare recipients, which also can be measured.

Some become criminals, even murderers, but I doubt the full negative economic impact of the murder of a productive taxpaying citizen, for example, can be or is measured. Likewise the impact of legal immigrants who become drug dealers and so forth. Small numbers perhaps, but if those people were not here they would not be committing those crimes.

Likewise for a host of other economic costs to society, such as increased burdens on public schools and social services, greater pollution from more drivers, etc etc.

Certainly illegal immigrants don't pay for themselves, but I doubt the standard line that legal immigrants pay for themselves can really be backed up.
"Some small percentage become long-term welfare recipients, which also can be measured."

It is NOT small. Living in Texas and have been across the border many times, the actual stats are impossible. However, the number of simply pregnant women that get across to have babies in border towns is big. They become American citizens. Here is an actual stat from REAL hospital administrators. 50% of the births are medicaid, of which they will tell you a high percent are illegal. Not to mention the ER, of course no one has to pay for any of this. Like the 53% of America paid no taxes last year (which I realize is another debate)Food banks are overrun. I have worked a soup kitchen for a year and saw probably 20% were illegal. You are simply wrong on a "low" percent. If you are under 50 you will experience a TOTALLY different country, I will be gone.....maybe sooner with our current handling by BOTH parties with our current debt issues.

I am not against legal immigration but, when 2,000,000 just on the southern border each year and melt away into America, people have their eyes blind.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
"Some small percentage become long-term welfare recipients, which also can be measured."

It is NOT small. Living in Texas and have been across the border many times, the actual stats are impossible. However, the number of simply pregnant women that get across to have babies in border towns is big. They become American citizens. Here is an actual stat from REAL hospital administrators. 50% of the births are medicaid, of which they will tell you a high percent are illegal. Not to mention the ER, of course no one has to pay for any of this. Like the 53% of America paid no taxes last year (which I realize is another debate)Food banks are overrun. I have worked a soup kitchen for a year and saw probably 20% were illegal. You are simply wrong on a "low" percent. If you are under 50 you will experience a TOTALLY different country, I will be gone.....maybe sooner with our current handling by BOTH parties with our current debt issues.

I am not against legal immigration but, when 2,000,000 just on the southern border each year and melt away into America, people have their eyes blind.
Thanks, I was only talking about legal, per my first sentence.

Reactions: threeeputtt
No, he's talking about asylum seekers and refugees. That's different than the legal immigration process.

Excellent points. With regards to cheap labor, much of the economic growth from immigration is distributed to the upper class. More available worker means more demand for jobs, and immigrants with language barriers can often be hired cheaper because their options are more limited. So that's a valid critique of "immigration pays for itself". It pays some people better than others. I have not read any study that native born workers lose a substantial amount of compensation due to immigration, but if anyone wants provide examples I'm all ears.

There are definitely costs for immigration, especially initially. But a first generation immigrant, over the course of 20 or 30 years is likely to recoup those costs in production, consumption, and taxes. 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants are absolutely going to recoup those costs.

I would have to dig for the studies, but I've read that legal immigrants have fewer instances of crime than native born citizens. Ironically, illegal residents have way lower rates of crime, probably because they really want to avoid interactions with the police. Regardless, there are bound to be immigrants (legal and otherwise) that break the law, and that's certainly something to consider when weighing pros and cons.

I think another thing to consider is the birth rate in the US. Women average about 4 kids in the 1960s. Now that number is less than 2. Without immigration, our population is going to start shrinking, and that is definitely no bueno for the economy.

I'm not going to touch illegal immigration. Illegals definitely don't pay for themselves, if only because of the billions we pay every year to try and keep them out. There are some very good things that would come from providing a path to citizenship, but rewarding people who have broken the law seems like a really bad precedent to set.

Excellent points. With regards to cheap labor, much of the economic growth from immigration is distributed to the upper class. More available worker means more demand for jobs, and immigrants with language barriers can often be hired cheaper because their options are more limited. So that's a valid critique of "immigration pays for itself". It pays some people better than others. I have not read any study that native born workers lose a substantial amount of compensation due to immigration, but if anyone wants provide examples I'm all ears.

There are definitely costs for immigration, especially initially. But a first generation immigrant, over the course of 20 or 30 years is likely to recoup those costs in production, consumption, and taxes. 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants are absolutely going to recoup those costs.

I would have to dig for the studies, but I've read that legal immigrants have fewer instances of crime than native born citizens. Ironically, illegal residents have way lower rates of crime, probably because they really want to avoid interactions with the police. Regardless, there are bound to be immigrants (legal and otherwise) that break the law, and that's certainly something to consider when weighing pros and cons.

I think another thing to consider is the birth rate in the US. Women average about 4 kids in the 1960s. Now that number is less than 2. Without immigration, our population is going to start shrinking, and that is definitely no bueno for the economy.

I'm not going to touch illegal immigration. Illegals definitely don't pay for themselves, if only because of the billions we pay every year to try and keep them out. There are some very good things that would come from providing a path to citizenship, but rewarding people who have broken the law seems like a really bad precedent to set.

There's already a path to citizenship. It's just that some people don't want to take it because it's not easy and takes time. They'd rather cross a river and claim they deserve it that way.

Multiple threads on here where those guys talk about how right wing media has scared them from visiting cities. They're not going to Haiti. LOL.
I searched user “Indy35” and “right wing media” and 8 pages worth of your posts came up. I searched “indy35” and “left wing media” and 0 pages worth of your posts came up. Why are you so interested in the right wing media and why do you never discuss the left wing media?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT