ADVERTISEMENT

Mexico tariffs

PurdueFan1

All-American
May 29, 2001
The moron in chief just announced a 5% tariff on all
goods coming into the US from Mexico as his solution for immigration.

So did he just give up on his wall that Mexico was gonna pay for or ....????

What a buffoon.

Should help his chances of getting the USMCA through Congress.

His policies are so well thought out lol. A diversion is always preferred to sound policy.

Reactions: Bill4411
I hope we never need any help from another country as we are burning through are 75 years of goodwill accumulated after WWII at an incredible rate.

Fortunately, I think most countries realize just how dumb Trump is and won’t hold it against us.

Reactions: indy35
I hope we never need any help from another country as we are burning through are 75 years of goodwill accumulated after WWII at an incredible rate.
I'm sure they will all take our foreign aid so no worries.

Looks like we are on our way to a potential recession.
Eh, as I’ve said many times before, the occupant of the White House has little to do with the economy and the stock market. They all take credit, but it’s gonna do what it’s gonna do. Laws can have great impact, but those are almost never seen under the President and Congress that passes them.

Reactions: indy35
us-foreign-aid-by-country-3637.jpg
I'm sure they will all take our foreign aid so no worries.
I think you may be confused, Britain, France, Germany and Canada don’t receive aid from the US, now if you are talking Israel, Egypt, Jordan as countries that our allies, we spend billions on them each year.

https://howmuch.net/articles/usa-foreign-aid-by-country

Last edited:

I think you may be confused, Britain, France, Germany and Canada don’t receive aid from the US, now if you are talking Israel, Egypt, Jordan as countries that our allies, we spend billions on them each year of them.

I was talking about the aid to Mexico. Sorry bout that! So much for our security dollars allocated to them.

https://www.reference.com/governmen...id-united-states-give-mexico-d1238a7e5dd87a09

Eh, as I’ve said many times before, the occupant of the White House has little to do with the economy and the stock market. They all take credit, but it’s gonna do what it’s gonna do. Laws can have great impact, but those are almost never seen under the President and Congress that passes them.
If this tariff issue continues, this could be one of those times.

Also, whatever happened to Lindsey Graham? He was dead set against tariffs against Mexico and shockingly he’s all for them now. He’s totally sold his soul and/or someone has some incredible dirt on him.

The moron in chief just announced a 5% tariff on all
goods coming into the US from Mexico as his solution for immigration.

So did he just give up on his wall that Mexico was gonna pay for or ....????

What a buffoon.

Where did he say that? I did not see or hear him say it was a solution. He said tariffs will be put in place and increased until the issue is solved. Seemed to heavily imply he wants Mexico to do more and Congress get out of its own way. that is a lot different than saying it will solve illegal immigration.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...illegal-immigration-problem-solved-2019-05-30

That is a lot of the issue. Not that the goodwill is being burnt up. More so, that the goodwill never amounted to much except for countries having their hand out. See all the help the USA got(did not get) in Afghanistan.

I will say I do not agree with Trump's behavior many times or all his actions, but I am glad he understands the non existent goodwill nonsense. No need to get caught up in that.

I think you may be confused, Britain, France, Germany and Canada don’t receive aid from the US, now if you are talking Israel, Egypt, Jordan as countries that our allies, we spend billions on them each year.

The trading partners have been receiving aid of a different kind for a long long time. And their aid is in the form of American jobs, almost free access to our markets, and a IS Government not giving a damn about working folks.

Reactions: Purdue97

NATO says hello.

And every time I go to Caribean or the Pacific side I see Navy/Coast Guard ships. And some of the most deployed SF/SOC units out there are units with CA and SA responsibilities.

NATO is a joint defense agreement that has helped keep the peace in Europe for nearly 75 years. It's not foreign aid. And yes we pay more than the other members by virtue of the sheer size of our economy.

If one wants to argue the money we spend is a form of foreign aid to Europe, I would remind them that peace in Europe is clearly in our national security and economic interests and has been a key to our economic prosperity.

NATO is a joint defense agreement that has helped keep the peace in Europe for nearly 75 years. It's not foreign aid. And yes we pay more than the other members by virtue of the sheer size of our economy.

If one wants to argue the money we spend is a form of foreign aid to Europe, I would remind them that peace in Europe is clearly in our national security and economic interests and has been a key to our economic prosperity.
Naw, we don't get anything out of it except when we need it for our various military engagements over...but those don't count do they?

We spend more by percentage of GDP, so it has nothing to do with sheer size of our economy.

We spend more by percentage of GDP, so it has nothing to do with sheer size of our economy.
Whatever you want to call it, GDP or size of economy, that was just to block any argument about the number of dollars we spend. Not the point. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Tariffs are the answer to everything. It’s 19th and early 20th century foreign policy! What could go wrong?
Tariffs have been used by the rest of the world for decades to erode our economy, especially since China came on line but, I get it, when we need to balance the playing field for our workers its unfair and outdated. LOL

I'm not a tariffs expert but here is my understanding of the process.
The US puts a 5% tariff on a product produced by ex., China. The tariff revenue goes into the congressional general fund. This is a tax being paid up front by the importer. (China). China increases their product cost to the US consumer thus not having an initial effect on them but an increase in product cost to the consumer (us).
This will also effect ex., cars. Even though cars are assembled here many parts are imported.
If the tariff is high enough manufacturers will look at other options for their products. If the products can be made cheaper in the US, the manufacturers will move manufacturing to the US.
Combine this with a lower corporate tax rate and businesses may return.
The tariffs and tax breaks need to be permanent to keep the jobs here.
I think this is a net positive for the US worker.

I'm not a tariffs expert but here is my understanding of the process.
...This is a tax being paid up front by the importer. (China). China increases their product cost to the US consumer thus not having an initial effect on them but an increase in product cost to the consumer (us)...
China is the EXPORTER, the American buyer is the IMPORTER. The duties have to be computed, reported and paid by the IMPORTER. This is often done by a customs broker who handles the mechanics of the deal, and is charged to the IMPORTER as part of those responsibilities.
An explanation can be found at-
https://www.afcinternationalllc.com...oms-clearance-a-quick-guide-on-paying-duties/
Are you President Trump, because your explanation sounds curiously like his comments? :)

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
One thing about the tariffs the money collected goes into the general funds of the US, so it should help with our huge budget deficits-unfortunately it’s a very regressive tax, so Joe 6 pack is going to have less money left at the end of the day.

China is the EXPORTER, the American buyer is the IMPORTER. The duties have to be computed, reported and paid by the IMPORTER. This is often done by a customs broker who handles the mechanics of the deal, and is charged to the IMPORTER as part of those responsibilities.
An explanation can be found at-
https://www.afcinternationalllc.com...oms-clearance-a-quick-guide-on-paying-duties/
Are you President Trump, because your explanation sounds curiously like his comments? :)

Thanks for the link.
So the companies receiving the goods pay the tax not the exporting government.
The effect of the tariff though wold be the same. Higher prices for imported goods.

Thanks for the link.
So the companies receiving the goods pay the tax not the exporting government.
The effect of the tariff though wold be the same. Higher prices for imported goods.
Yep. The theory being that the higher price drives down demand for the imported goods. But if people still purchase the import, the people are the ones paying. Not China. If the tariff doesn’t drive demand for imports down, all it is is another tax on us.

China will stop importing American products and raw materials and we will lose markets to China. It appears from the above comments that tariffs are one-sided and they are not. It is not a win-win situation. Additionally, if tariffs are imposed on Mexican goods it will have a very negative effect on the economy. Thus the consternation among Republican Senators.

Yep. The theory being that the higher price drives down demand for the imported goods. But if people still purchase the import, the people are the ones paying. Not China. If the tariff doesn’t drive demand for imports down, all it is is another tax on us.
This is true. Because the cost of Chinese goods is increasing due to the tariffs, many American companies have or are looking to relocate production out of China and into places like Vietnam, Indonesia, and maybe a little back into the USA.

I have said before that imposition of tariffs in the longer term will not help our country. This cannot continue much longer without significant impacts to our economy and potentially the global economy.

China will stop importing American products and raw materials and we will lose markets to China. It appears from the above comments that tariffs are one-sided and they are not. It is not a win-win situation. Additionally, if tariffs are imposed on Mexican goods it will have a very negative effect on the economy. Thus the consternation among Republican Senators.

Beth, I’m sure you know that China exports over 4 times as much to the US as they import from the US. Right? For decades they have restricted imports from the US. That is the cause of the dispute.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...thats-causing-a-huge-trade-deficit-2018-03-23.

As I have said in the past since WW2 the rest of the world was extremely protectionist against the US with the use of tariffs and currency manipulation. Now, when we are trying to level the playing field everyone screams that tariffs don’t work.

The biggest issue that Trump is facing is all of the discord at home. There is little incentive for China, Mexico, or our other trading partners to negotiate seriously when there is little support for his strategies from the Dems (and now from Some Reps) that is fueled of course by MSM blowing smoke continuously. All they have to do is wait it out and go back to plundering if Trump is not re-elected.

this has been rehashed numerous times but

tariffs:
these generate tax revenues which can reduce budget deficit

trade deficit:
u.s. gdp per capita was nearly 8 times that of china.
so a trade deficit alone will be expected when we are that significantly wealthier as a nation. signs of higher consumption & a strong economy.

in addition to typically running a trade deficit, the u.s. also has investment surplus. the inflow offsets trade deficit.

TradeDeficitCapitalSurplus.jpg

this has been rehashed numerous times but

tariffs:
these generate tax revenues which can reduce budget deficit

trade deficit:
u.s. gdp per capita was nearly 8 times that of china.
so a trade deficit alone will be expected when we are that significantly wealthier as a nation. signs of higher consumption & a strong economy.

in addition to typically running a trade deficit, the u.s. also has investment surplus. the inflow offsets trade deficit.

TradeDeficitCapitalSurplus.jpg

So foreigners are using their trade surplus to buy US assets.
Not a good outlook for the future.

This is the overlooked part of what is happening and potentially the most devastating to the economy over the long haul.

How is all of this, not just the tariffs but also the backing out of agreements and the perceived unreliability of the US, affect global trade in $USD and it's role as the dominate currency? Nations moving away from $USD has been a slow process so far, but does this accelerate it?

This is the overlooked part of what is happening and potentially the most devastating to the economy over the long haul.

How is all of this, not just the tariffs but also the backing out of agreements and the perceived unreliability of the US, affect global trade in $USD and it's role as the dominate currency? Nations moving away from $USD has been a slow process so far, but does this accelerate it?
It depends on how long the trade war lasts with China. Nations are not switching to renminbi or the Euro wholesale yet. Right now world banks put more faith and trust in US currency than other currencies.

As I have said in the past since WW2 the rest of the world was extremely protectionist against the US with the use of tariffs and currency manipulation. Now, when we are trying to level the playing field everyone screams that tariffs don’t work.
Did you think about this before you wrote it? Other countries have been very protectionist against the US since WWII, yet the US is the largest economy in the world and wealthiest nation in the world... in spite of tariffs and protectionism... because they don't work as intended...

Reactions: Bill4411
Did you think about this before you wrote it? Other countries have been very protectionist against the US since WWII, yet the US is the largest economy in the world and wealthiest nation in the world... in spite of tariffs and protectionism... because they don't work as intended...
Do you have any other way to get China to deal fairly and stop stealing our technology and IP outside of using tariffs?

I would agree that they don’t work long-term. China has been given carte blanche to act in ways that are detrimental to our country and almost all of the rest of the world for over 40 years. They have taken the US for granted for 30 years or more that our limp-wristed politicians would do nothing to stop their adversarial trade policies. When is enough enough? The US has helped build China into the second largest economy in the world through its awful deals signed by people like Bill Clinton.

Do you have any other way to get China to deal fairly and stop stealing our technology and IP outside of using tariffs?

I would agree that they don’t work long-term. China has been given carte blanche to act in ways that are detrimental to our country and almost all of the rest of the world for over 40 years. They have taken the US for granted for 30 years or more that our limp-wristed politicians would do nothing to stop their adversarial trade policies. When is enough enough? The US has helped build China into the second largest economy in the world through its awful deals signed by people like Bill Clinton.
No. China will never stop trying to find deals advantageous to them nor will they stop stealing our technology. That stuff will stop when it invariably comes to use of force. In the meantime, US citizens will be forced to pay higher rates for goods imported from China with no measurable impact on the Chinese economy.

China has 1 BILLION people, a strong educational system, and tremendous natural resources. Good luck keeping that from having a strong economy. Other strong economies shouldn't necessarily be viewed as a threat to the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT