ADVERTISEMENT

Markell Jones

I would rather have a guy who looks great against lesser competition than a guy who looks ok against great competition. Take two cases: Danny E did poorly in a great conference but did well in skills camps. He is still a decent QB, but not the hero we thought he would be.
Danny Anthrop was almost in walk-on territory when he was recruited. He had monster numbers in a lousy conference. I have been thrilled with his play and pray he gets two injury free years. You could argue that his results are similar to some 4-star rated receivers.

I am jacked about Jones, but as I said before I would still like to see him redshirt. Not because I don't think we could use him, but rather I am hoping Green, Knox, and Yancey are ahead of him at RB. Football is about depth as we saw with our offensive meltdown late this year when we lost a few receivers.

Originally posted by Frankie611:

Danny Anthrop was almost in walk-on territory when he was recruited. He had monster numbers in a lousy conference. I have been thrilled with his play and pray he gets two injury free years. You could argue that his results are similar to some 4-star rated receivers.
Anthrop took 2 years to develop into a good receiver (he will be a senior next year).

My point was Jones will take time to develop. Dont expect him to come in and get the lions share of the carries.

Nope, he won't see the field for awhile. 30% of the time a RB is in a college game,it's for blocking. I doubt Jones did much, if any, blocking in HS. If he can't pass block, his chance of seeing the field are limited....we'll just have to wait and see if he develops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT