ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola Chicago vs Purdue VB

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Purdue looks much more like we expected them to as they take set one 25-20. Chloe Chicoine is off to a good start, unlike her last two games. 7 kills hitting 0.312 with 2 aces.

Boilers have reverted to more like they played yesterday but in truth Loyola played much better in the 2nd set winning 25-19. We are struggling defensively. McNabb for Layola has 10 kills and is hitting 0.421.

Chicoine also has 10 kills with Raven and Hudson having 6 but Purdue only hit 0.061% this set.

Shondell has replaced Poulter with Yim for the 3rd set.

Last edited:
Layola wins the 3rd set 25-23 as we were constantly trying to stay even during the match. Now Purdue has to win the last two sets to win the match.

D was better but Purdue only hit 0.156 in the set compared to Layola hitting 0.375. For the entire match Loyola is hitting 0.272 compared to Purdue hitting 0.180.

Announcers said Yim would play but it was actually freshman Taylor Anderson who subbed in as the setter. Purdue is so very young and it shows.

Purdue survives 25-22 in 4th set. Hudson and Chicoine both have 16 kills. Purdue hit much better on that set at 0.250 and outdug Layola 19-12. The hero was freshman Grace Heaney who came in for 5 kills and a block.

Reactions: Boilermb
I think the last three sets 6 of the top 8 players for Purdue were freshmen. Many growing pains this year no doubt.

Reactions: DocRon
Might have been wise to bring back an experienced player like Chinn or Koch up front? Loyola is experienced but Purdue with 3 All Big Ten types and perhaps the nations top Frosh shouldn’t lose at home to them.

Reactions: DocRon and Boilermb
Might have been wise to bring back an experienced player like Chinn or Koch up front? Loyola is experienced but Purdue with 3 All Big Ten types and perhaps the nations top Frosh shouldn’t lose at home to them.
I would bet that Chicoine has been blocked more this weekend than she her entire senior year in HS. Last year’s team had a lot of inconsistencies on the outside. Also, with the COVID year teams don’t have room for their seniors to come back. Ohio State lost several top seniors because the team had already made scholarship commitments. VB is only allowed 12 scholarships and aren’t allowed to award partials.

Purdue survives 25-22 in 4th set. Hudson and Chicoine both have 16 kills. Purdue hit much better on that set at 0.250 and outdug Layola 19-12. The hero was freshman Grace Heaney who came in for 5 kills and a block.
I was at the game today. Without Heaney we lost that 4th set. Rastovski started the first 3 sets, Heaney replaced her for the last 2 sets. With the score tied 9-9 in set 4, Heaney scored 4 consecutive points to make it 13-9. 3 kills off hits and 1 off a block teamed with Colvin. Loyola then got the ball, but Heaney then got another kill to get the ball back for Purdue, making it 5 straight points she scored for us. That gave a big lift to the team
One thing we noticed is that she is able to hit the ball down at a sharper angle than the other outside hitters. (She contacts the ball higher than the others.) The ball lands more in the middle of the court where there are no defenders.

That would have been nice. While at the game today, we were talking about how we only have 1 outside hitter (Hudson) who played last year.

Layola wins the 3rd set 25-23 as we were constantly trying to stay even during the match. Now Purdue has to win the last two sets to win the match.

D was better but Purdue only hit 0.156 in the set compared to Layola hitting 0.375. For the entire match Loyola is hitting 0.272 compared to Purdue hitting 0.180.

Announcers said Yim would play but it was actually freshman Taylor Anderson who subbed in as the setter. Purdue is so very young and it shows.

That would have been nice. While at the game today, we were talking about how we only have 1 outside hitter (Hudson) who played last year.
Yea, Emma Ellis as well…Shondell is a standup guy, however, in this case I think 1 with an inexperienced team might have been wise to bring back.

I would bet that Chicoine has been blocked more this weekend than she her entire senior year in HS. Last year’s team had a lot of inconsistencies on the outside. Also, with the COVID year teams don’t have room for their seniors to come back. Ohio State lost several top seniors because the team had already made scholarship commitments. VB is only allowed 12 scholarships and aren’t allowed to award partials.
I get that, still think he probably could have found room for 1 of Chinn, Ellis, Koch to return. I do think the team will be fine but I’m sorry, losing to Loyola at home shouldn’t happen. Is Warren playing at all? Also, Carr for a redshirt Frosh needs lots of work, I’m sure she’ll get there at some point.

I get that, still think he probably could have found room for 1 of Chinn, Ellis, Koch to return. I do think the team will be fine but I’m sorry, losing to Loyola at home shouldn’t happen. Is Warren playing at all? Also, Carr for a redshirt Frosh needs lots of work, I’m sure she’ll get there at some point.
Have yet to see Warren play. She’s warming up with the team prior to the matches, but then stays on the sidelines.
Lourdes Myers started the first 2 sets of the match with Duke but has pretty much been in the bench since then. Lizzie Carr has I think started every set since then. She needs a lot of work, but you could see her getting more comfortable on the court as the weekend went on.

Loyola also return their entire starting line up full of upper classmen. We had 15 practice days with coaches before the first game. The line up was revolving all weekend to find the working puzzle pieces. I loved the line-up in the last two sets. Grace H impressed me. Lots of growing pains to come but the ceiling on this team is high!

Man, lost 16-14 after being 3 points up 12-9. Freshman vs experienced upper classmen make a big difference.
All the difference in the world in a game where experience and team chemistry plays such a big role. I was impressed with a lot and cringed at a bit. I only wonder why Lourdes was replaced by Carr. I thought LM was playing great. Chloe needs to trust her Liberian to get the ball a bit more but man that kid wants to win!

Saw her play U19 for the USA. She was the MVP and ate up the block. I think the setting was not to her advantage but the kid will adjust. She still managed 19-20 kills though. Looking forward to watching her play.warren is way down on the depth chart I think. My guess is that Wollard and Emile R may get what limited reps there are at that position. Chloe and Eva are not coming off the floor very often.

Loyola also return their entire starting line up full of upper classmen. We had 15 practice days with coaches before the first game. The line up was revolving all weekend to find the working puzzle pieces. I loved the line-up in the last two sets. Grace H impressed me. Lots of growing pains to come but the ceiling on this team is high!
Loyola is probably a top 25-30 team, not a horrible loss, still in my opinion one Purdue needs to get at home. Schermerhorn, Chloe, Hudson, Colvin all probably stay on the court most of the game, we’ll see what others step up, I’m sure some will.

Loyola is probably a top 25-30 team, not a horrible loss, still in my opinion one Purdue needs to get at home. Schermerhorn, Chloe, Hudson, Colvin all probably stay on the court most of the game, we’ll see what others step up, I’m sure some will.
As I’ve said I wasn’t at the Purdue - Creighton match on Saturday, but my West Lafayette friends who were at that match as well as most home matches for 20+ years were there. They said that Hudson eventually had to be pulled in the back row in that match due to her problems passing.
They also said that we didn’t look cohesive as a team vs Creighton, just one example being Schermerhorn cutting in front of Chicoine to try take a dig which was headed straight at Chicoine. (Those are our best 2 players in the back row.) Glad that we have 2 players in Schermerhorn and Chicoine that both want the ball, but this young team needs to learn to play better together.
On Sunday vs Loyola (a match I was at) I noticed that later in the match Colvin left both Chicoine and Hudson in single blocks several times. RC failed to read the set and just stood in the middle while making no attempt to close the block. Chicoine managed a solo block on one occasion, but Loyola otherwise took advantage of CC’s single blocking. Chicoine does pretty much everything very well but single blocking may be the least of what she can do at barely 5’10”.
Conerning Carr vs Myers for playing time, both needa lot of work. But Carr seems to recognize better than Myers what she needs to do to improve.
Poulter is a very good setter. But the knee problems from a year ago will always be a concern. We need to bring Anderson along quickly to make sure we have 2 capable setters, and rather obviously Taylor is the future of this program at setter.

Last edited:
Curious for any other Purdue volleyball fans. If you have season tickets, where do you sit in Holloway Gymnasium?

I agree-they should have won but I’m not concerned yet. I agree concerning the setter. LP is solid but an ACL tear can take a very long time to recover 100% from. CC is so fun to watch. I’m looking forward to watching more of Grace H. For sure.

As I’ve said I wasn’t at the Purdue - Creighton match on Saturday, but my West Lafayette friends who were at that match as well as most home matches for 20+ years were there. They said that Hudson eventually had to be pulled in the back row in that match due to her problems passing.
They also said that we didn’t look cohesive as a team vs Creighton, just one example being Schermerhorn cutting in front of Chicoine to try take a dig which was headed straight at Chicoine. (Those are our best 2 players in the back row.) Glad that we have 2 players in Schermerhorn and Chicoine that both want the ball, but this young team needs to learn to play better together.
On Sunday vs Loyola (a match I was at) I noticed that later in the match Colvin left both Chicoine and Hudson in single blocks several times. RC failed to read the set and just stood in the middle while making no attempt to close the block. Chicoine managed a solo block on one occasion, but Loyola otherwise took advantage of CC’s single blocking. Chicoine does pretty much everything very well but single blocking may be the least of what she can do at barely 5’10”.
Conerning Carr vs Myers for playing time, both needa lot of work. But Carr seems to recognize better than Myers what she needs to do to improve.
Poulter is a very good setter. But the knee problems from a year ago will always be a concern. We need to bring Anderson along quickly to make sure we have 2 capable setters, and rather obviously Taylor is the future of this program at setter.
That funny how you saw CC and MS going for the ball. The libero is the defensive captain and if she call a teammate off the ball then it’s hers. I thought Chloe went for a ball zoned for Maddie. I also thought Loudes was more effective offensively. I agree both middle need some work. Iv’e seen Poulter play before the injury and her game experience can’t be beat. With that said- LP is slower to the ball I think. LP also has several missed sets and odd choices. TS really impressed me and she was cool and steady. The biggest concern to me is figuring out that setter. That hurt us last year when we went back and forth between MR and GB. This is going to be a fun team to watch mature.

That funny how you saw CC and MS going for the ball. The libero is the defensive captain and if she call a teammate off the ball then it’s hers. I thought Chloe went for a ball zoned for Maddie. I also thought Loudes was more effective offensively. I agree both middle need some work. Iv’e seen Poulter play before the injury and her game experience can’t be beat. With that said- LP is slower to the ball I think. LP also has several missed sets and odd choices. TS really impressed me and she was cool and steady. The biggest concern to me is figuring out that setter. That hurt us last year when we went back and forth between MR and GB. This is going to be a fun team to watch mature.
I didn’t see it, my friends did. Their point was that if the ball is going straight at CC, then MS should not be trying to poach it. She’s also responsible for trusting her teammates. Everyone has their position in defense.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT