ADVERTISEMENT

Loyer

Maybe I can setting my expectations to high, however his lack of quickness to guard on defense and his inconsistent shooting to me really stands out . Is there a solution ? Open to hearing suggestions 🤔
Sophomore slump? I’m not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. He might come on strong at the end of the year, and pull a Cline.

Maybe I can setting my expectations to high, however his lack of quickness to guard on defense and his inconsistent shooting to me really stands out . Is there a solution ? Open to hearing suggestions 🤔
I've come to the realization that my expectations were set to high. I was hoping for some strength growth over the summer. Now, some would say that.can throw off your shot. Let's give him another year of up and downs and hope for the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
I think we need to understand that we don’t need Loyer every game to pop. If 2 of the 3 guards are shooting / playing well, the other may not and that’s ok. We got the big maple down in the trenches and if he gets help from 2 of the 3 guards, that’s going to equal a lot of success. At different times so far, it’s been Braden and Lance or Lance and Loyer or Loyer and Braden or just loyer vs UT for the 3. Loyer will step up in games when it’s needed, keep the faith.

For such a basketball savvy kid, he can really play like a legit doofus, which doesn't help his shortcomings on D at all....

Reactions: pboiler18

Say what you want about C & H defense. There is absolutely no way it would have been worse than Loyer's today. Abismal. Bama was licking their chops. LOL

When he's on play him a lot. When not, bench him. But got to give him @ least 4-5 minutes each half to see if he wants/is able to play & produce. Never know with him.

After today, he likely goes off next game??

I think we need to understand that we don’t need Loyer every game to pop. If 2 of the 3 guards are shooting / playing well, the other may not and that’s ok. We got the big maple down in the trenches and if he gets help from 2 of the 3 guards, that’s going to equal a lot of success. At different times so far, it’s been Braden and Lance or Lance and Loyer or Loyer and Braden or just loyer vs UT for the 3. Loyer will step up in games when it’s needed, keep the faith.
I agree but if Loyer isn't giving anything offensively I think Painter has to go with Morton more for defense, like we saw marginally today. Probably could have even given Morton more min. Against elite guards, you just cannot keep Loyer in there if he's not giving anything offensively. And if Morton is struggling defensively, then may as well go with Colvin and Heide exclusively.

Lance was just OK today, so of he plays any worse than he did then Edey and Smith almost have to carry the load. But I like the increased sub pattern Painter is doing with Heide and Colvin to mix in more offense. If Loyer comes out the same against Zona, he should be used to spell Lance or Smith in limited min.

Reactions: Gesysp
I agree but if Loyer isn't giving anything offensively I think Painter has to go with Morton more for defense, like we saw marginally today. Probably could have even given Morton more min. Against elite guards, you just cannot keep Loyer in there if he's not giving anything offensively. And if Morton is struggling defensively, then may as well go with Colvin and Heide exclusively.

Lance was just OK today, so of he plays any worse than he did then Edey and Smith almost have to carry the load. But I like the increased sub pattern Painter is doing with Heide and Colvin to mix in more offense. If Loyer comes out the same against Zona, he should be used to spell Lance or Smith in limited min.

Morton got burnt on D 3 of his first 8 defensive possessions. But yes, even that was better than Loyer....today.

Disaster game for him. He'll probably carry us against Zona. Just the way it rolls.

No way Purdue beats Tennessee without Loyer, and it's not just the scoring.....but yeah, this was a tough match-up for him......Boilers will need him at times, not every game - Purdue just needs someone to step up from time to time if Smith and Edey stay consistent.

JMHO

Say what you want about C & H defense. There is absolutely no way it would have been worse than Loyer's today. Abismal. Bama was licking their chops. LOL

When he's on play him a lot. When not, bench him. But got to give him @ least 4-5 minutes each half to see if he wants/is able to play & produce. Never know with him.

After today, he likely goes off next game??
Yeah right boy does he get knocked around, spends more time on the floor than anybody ever seen .....I think if CMP brought him off the bench for 4-5 min to see if connecting with his shoot it would take some pressure off.

Loyer can at least be a threat on offense and make them have to guard him though.
For me it's easy, if he doesn't make in his first 2 open looks, you kind of know how the rest of the night is going to go for him. He'll surprise you every now and then with a cut to the basket, but if he's not able to finish or draw contact then all he does is give a fast team a break-out.

If he makes a shot in his first 2 shot attempts or finishes a drive with basket or contact in first 5 min, then sure, let that confidence ride because he seems to need it to get going... just my observation.

For me it's easy, if he doesn't make in his first 2 open looks, you kind of know how the rest of the night is going to go for him. He'll surprise you every now and then with a cut to the basket, but if he's not able to finish or draw contact then all he does is give a fast team a break-out.

If he makes a shot in his first 2 shot attempts or finishes a drive with basket or contact in first 5 min, then sure, let that confidence ride because he seems to need it to get going... just my observation.
Well said Led

For me it's easy, if he doesn't make in his first 2 open looks, you kind of know how the rest of the night is going to go for him. He'll surprise you every now and then with a cut to the basket, but if he' OOs not able to finish or draw contact then all he does is give a fast team a break-out.

True mostly. I think he had a good game once where it all came in H2. So you got to give him run in both halves. But yes, he is like a light switch, either on or off....and it's pretty dark when off cause there is a gaping accompanying hole on D usually. Light Switch....I like that name for him. LOL

Last edited:

that's the way I observe him too

No. At least Loyer drives the ball. Morton does absolutely nothing on the offensive end.

Morton is not an answer or counter to fletch. I will take fletch 100/100. Morton is absolutely no threat on offense and is maybe a bit better on defense than fletch. But Morton’s liability on offense makes it 4 v 5 and puts us at a disadvantage. I’d take Myles or Heide to fill in for Loyer before Morton.

When has Morton ever shut down a guy or played excellent defense on someone and that said player had an off night on more than just one or two plays? I can think of just one time last year and it was vs Pickett. Other than that, Morton’s defense is nothing special and does not outweigh how bad his offense is and how it puts the team in a bad spot.

If you don't count assists as part of the offense. Most people do.
Come on. People have been defending Morton's ineptness on the offensive end for 4 years. A Pennsylvania Mr. Basketball and top 100 recruit is in his Senior year and has made two (that's right 2 baskets) in the first 9 games. He's shooting 20% from the floor and hasn't scored in 7 straight games. His career points per 40 is 5.6 ppg. To give you a frame of reference the next closest rotational player on Purdue's roster career points per 40 is over 11. Another frame of reference Travis Carroll had a career points per 40 of 6.8.

Morton is fine in his current role. Filling in a few minutes here and there to spell the starters and getting on the floor in certain situations that play to his strengths but how anyone could think that he could replace Loyer as a starter or take a chunk of his minutes is beyond me.

Definitely a defensive liability

I think Fletcher needs to befriend Dakota and get defensive advice from him. Dakota wasn’t the fastest but knew the scouting report inside out and always anticipated his players next move. Fletcher knows how to move and get in place on offense based on what he sees. Needs to translate that to the other side of the ball.

Come on. People have been defending Morton's ineptness on the offensive end for 4 years. A Pennsylvania Mr. Basketball and top 100 recruit is in his Senior year and has made two (that's right 2 baskets) in the first 9 games. He's shooting 20% from the floor and hasn't scored in 7 straight games. His career points per 40 is 5.6 ppg. To give you a frame of reference the next closest rotational player on Purdue's roster career points per 40 is over 11. Another frame of reference Travis Carroll had a career points per 40 of 6.8.

Morton is fine in his current role. Filling in a few minutes here and there to spell the starters and getting on the floor in certain situations that play to his strengths but how anyone could think that he could replace Loyer as a starter or take a chunk of his minutes is beyond me.
Thank goodness they didn’t lose him to the transfer portal.

Purdue might be the only team in the B10 where Morton gets any minutes at all?? But that's Painter. Don't turn it over, try on D and make 1 good pass and your golden. Morton will score a few here eventually and we can hear how he should start. I am a CMP supporter but to me It was funny CMP actually thought M could slow down Bamas scorer.

Last edited:
I think Fletcher needs to befriend Dakota and get defensive advice from him. Dakota wasn’t the fastest but knew the scouting report inside out and always anticipated his players next move. Fletcher knows how to move and get in place on offense based on what he sees. Needs to translate that to the other side of the ball.
A good reminder of just how solid of an all-around player Mathias was at Purdue.

Purdue might be the only team in the B10 where Morton gets any minutes at all?? But that's Painter. Don't turn it over, try on D and make 1 good pass and your golden. Morton will score a few here eventually and we can hear how he should start. I am a CMP supporter but to me It was funny CMP actually thought M could slow down Bamas scorer.
You can have a guy like Morton on the floor because he can contribute by feeding the post or rotating the ball to someone for an open three. As a result having Morton play with Edey in small doses doesn't kill your offense. Doesn't necessarily add much but it can work.

What you don't see is Morton putting pressure on the D and piling up assists on passes like the ones you see from Smith. Take Edey away and Morton would be under more presser to score, and a lot of those assists would vanish.

I guess bottom line, I agree with you. I don't see how Morton could be a contributor on another B1G team.

You can have a guy like Morton on the floor because he can contribute by feeding the post or rotating the ball to someone for an open three. As a result having Morton play with Edey in small doses doesn't kill your offense. Doesn't necessarily add much but it can work.

What you don't see is Morton putting pressure on the D and piling up assists on passes like the ones you see from Smith. Take Edey away and Morton would be under more presser to score, and a lot of those assists would vanish.

I guess bottom line, I agree with you. I don't see how Morton could be a contributor on another B1G team.
He has a lot of hockey assists - the assist to set up the assist. Those aren’t tracked but he does impact in different ways. Believe he was +7 or 8 yesterday. TKR was -22

Reactions: tjreese and mathboy
I would have to agree. I read somewhere else yesterday where it was being discussed about the type of players that we have here at Purdue and high character types and so forth and they were saying that a guy like MG stayed here and plays limited mins when he could've transferred to xyz (basically insinuated that he could start for any team in the nation. Duke and several blue blood schools were listed) In all honesty, I love MG and I wouldn't trade him for anybody, but that's in the role in which he plays on this team. I don't really consider him a starter on a final 4 caliber team. That is what I would say about essential what I've seen of our whole 2nd unit. We tend to overvalue our depth every year. I think in terms of the BT, we are fairly deep and have a pretty good 6-9, but these aren't guys that can go start at any school in the nation imo. Just like yesterday, if you take Braden and Zach off of the court, I just can't find where the offense comes from. Jones, I like and Colvin and Heide, I think can get to that level eventually, but just still lacking those that can create offense.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
His minutes need to drop. Not a great defender or ball handler. Colvin and heide will help in march...have to get them ready.

No way Purdue beats Tennessee without Loyer, and it's not just the scoring.....but yeah, this was a tough match-up for him......Boilers will need him at times, not every game - Purdue just needs someone to step up from time to time if Smith and Edey stay consistent.

JMHO
"Scoring" is what a lot see every game...every year for every team. I can't give an honest evaluation of Fletcher most games. I did like his pass to Zach from OUt of bounds, but didn't like his pass to Zach (and Zach's too quick of drop step) at the end of the NW game. Overall he is pretty versatile offensively day in and day out. The nice thing is Matt has some options for all positions this year.

I like the kid a lot and still think he's going to be a big factor next 2 years.
But i'd like to see Colvin get more time. He adds that occasional downhill factor going to the basket that we need more of. Now when I see Fletch drive but get smothered I often think "Myles might well have got that off" with his length and hops. Factor in his sweet jump shot and his continued improvement on the defensive end and I think we have to have him ready to help come tourney time. Continued growth in his minutes must happen. IF the coaches think his D is far enough along to not sink us.
I also wonder if maybe bring Fletch off the bench might break him free of some of the shut down defense he's often facing now. Get him shots and a more featured role on the 2nd squad might be just what he needs to get it going again.
I know that sounds like a rationalization to bench Loyer but I honestly think it could help both guys.

Let’s remember Sears had a career game mostly because first half shots were going in. He was impossible to defend( by anybody) because he shot like never before.
Morton has his place he can defend and some games has had 4 or 5 assists and boards in short minutes. But not as a starter or big minutes. On Loyer can he get better on D, he is just 10 games into his sophomore season. I remember Ryne Smith, Mathis and even Robbie getting better, others too I am missing. None got great on D but got passable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT