ADVERTISEMENT

"Lights Out" Email

lbodel

All-American
Jul 15, 2006
Sorry if this was already posted, but I received an email asking to donate to a crowd funding campaign to buy a new video board/sound system.

First, the goal is $100,000. Obviously this costs much more - is it really that important to nickel/dime people to get a small chunk that you could probably ask 1-2 people to cover?

Second, we just RENOVATED MACKEY. Why the f was this not part of it?

I do not understand the facility plans that we have. Ross-Ade's renovation was a failure that we still see problems today that should have been solved a long time ago. Now Mackey's renovation was basically half-a$$ed and they are asking money for something that we knew was inadequate a long time ago ("turning off the lights" in an arena has been easily done for decades and has been brought up as an issue for Mackey for years).

And as much as I love him, pawning off autographed photos of one of your staff members if you give $200…come on.

https://crowdfunding.purdue.edu/project/1384

Sigh.

Don't you know us JPC member are cheapskates? You just need to give more and all the problems will be solved. (TIC)

Sorry if this was already posted, but I received an email asking to donate to a crowd funding campaign to buy a new video board/sound system.

First, the goal is $100,000. Obviously this costs much more - is it really that important to nickel/dime people to get a small chunk that you could probably ask 1-2 people to cover?

I do not understand the facility plans that we have. Ross-Ade's renovation was a failure that we still see problems today that should have been solved a long time ago. Now Mackey's renovation was basically half-a$$ed and they are asking money for something that we knew was inadequate a long time ago ("turning off the lights" in an arena has been easily done for decades and has been brought up as an issue for Mackey for years).

And as much as I love him, pawning off autographed photos of one of your staff members if you give $200…come on.

Sigh.
How about Mitch chip in 200K, that's less than half his annual salary.

I will gladly donate, this is just supporting a program that has giving me much joy (and heartache) over the years, no need to bash a funding campaign. All unis do this.

There's nothing wrong with doing a campaign. But usually for something like this, it's done privately, not on a public CrowdFunding campaign.

It comes across as being broke. Which I guess Purdue enjoys.

There's nothing wrong with doing a campaign. But usually for something like this, it's done privately, not on a public CrowdFunding campaign.

It comes across as being broke. Which I guess Purdue enjoys.

Privately? as in sending emails/letters to Purdue alumni and donors like in the past? There is no difference between the previous methods and this "Crowdfunding" other than how it is titled, sounds like you just want to find something to complain about.

I am assuming Purdue is trying to reach out to the younger generation of graduates with this technique, it is very similar to Kickstarter and Indiegogo. I, as an alumni that falls into that "recent graduate" category appreciate the effort in getting everyone involved.

Reactions: Boiledin90
When I first saw 'lights out', I thought it was a friend's sarcastic joke about Ross ade again.

Do we need a ribbon video board? I like the current 3 screens, not sure where they would put it?
Most arenas have them mid level but we'd lose many seats to install there.
That leaves at the very top of the arena which would look out of place and less effective than what we have now IMO.

And yes, why are new boards important now and not just a couple years ago when already renovating Mackey?
Maybe they are malfunctioning like the clocks lately?!

Privately? as in sending emails/letters to Purdue alumni and donors like in the past? There is no difference between the previous methods and this "Crowdfunding" other than how it is titled, sounds like you just want to find something to complain about.

I am assuming Purdue is trying to reach out to the younger generation of graduates with this technique, it is very similar to Kickstarter and Indiegogo. I, as an alumni that falls into that "recent graduate" category appreciate the effort in getting everyone involved.

Purdue's not exactly revolutionizing college athletics fundraising - how many other major programs are crowdsourcing major fundraising initiatives? Privately means you know donors who can pay for a project and you contact them personally. Instead of mass emailing to fundraise a portion of the price that will max out people. It's no different than the legacy fee, which essentially was a double tax on seating priority (you already paid your JPC dues, let's add more fees to make it more expensive!).

Typically, you don't go out looking for $100 gifts for major capital projects. That's fundraising 101. As I am involved in this industry in the DC/Baltimore/Philly areas, I've already shared this with colleagues in various sectors and their response has been unanimously "embarrassing".

And quite frankly, even if you think this is cool to do - that's fine.

Throw that portion out of the window. But the question still remains, why wasn't this done with Mackey's renovation? This is not a new need. This has been talked about as an issue with Mackey since the 90s when Mackey Madness was a big event and Purdue struggled 'turning out the lights'. We've gone through 2 major renovations - one involving adding a video board/sound system - the other an entire renovation of the arena - and neither addressed the issue…..why?

Last edited:
Purdue's not exactly revolutionizing college athletics fundraising - how many other major programs are crowdsourcing major fundraising initiatives? Privately means you know donors who can pay for a project and you contact them personally. Instead of mass emailing to fundraise a portion of the price that will max out people. It's no different than the legacy fee, which essentially was a double tax on seating priority (you already paid your JPC dues, let's add more fees to make it more expensive!).

Typically, you don't go out looking for $100 gifts for major capital projects. That's fundraising 101. As I am involved in this industry in the DC/Baltimore/Philly areas, I've already shared this with colleagues in various sectors and their response has been unanimously "embarrassing".

And quite frankly, even if you think this is cool to do - that's fine.

Throw that portion out of the window. But the question still remains, why wasn't this done with Mackey's renovation? This is not a new need. This has been talked about as an issue with Mackey since the 90s when Mackey Madness was a big event and Purdue struggled 'turning out the lights'. We've gone through 2 major renovations - one involving adding a video board/sound system - the other an entire renovation of the arena - and neither addressed the issue…..why?

Well seems like we would use your yourself and your colleagues to help us improve upon our embarrassing tactics. my question is why not utilize both the donors that pay large amounts and the maybe new to donating individuals. If your answer is because it makes us look poor, that is an opinion and invalid.

Answering why this was not done previously, Im sure there may be a multitude of answers. Maybe it wasn't in the original budget, maybe the money was eaten up by damages to facilities or structural work. Maybe the tech was new and very expensive at the time of renovation. So many other things could be said for the reasons. Who cares.

Point is they are trying to make an improvement to give a better experience to fans and potential recruits and you are trying to cry about their methods? Its fundraising. Lets see if we make the necessary money, if we don't then you can complain.

Reactions: Boiler1313

Sigh.
Another video board? Just go get the one at Ross Ade, all it does is interfere with nap time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT