ADVERTISEMENT

Learfield Sports Directors Cup

BoilerStutz

Junior
Jul 14, 2006
Indianapolis
Wasn't this competition part of Burke's stated goals? If I remember correctly, Purdue used to finish in the mid-thirties. I just looked up Purdue's current standing, and the Boilers are tied for 66. With the struggles of the spring sports, this number will only get worse.

I did not see last year's results which would have been even worse. I cannot figure out how Burke is allowed to perform this poorly and not only survive, but get a bonus. Performance off the field and financial stability are obviously very important, particularly at Purdue, but isn't the goal to win, at least some of the time?

Burke has spent a lot of money on facilities for minor sports, but it does not appear to be leading to the results that he himself haa stated are important.

year end - rank
2014 - 48
2013 - 42
2012 - 47
2011 - 49
2010 - 54
2009 - 38
2008 - 35
2007 - 35
2006 - 35
2005 - 46
2004 - 38
2003 - 40
2002 - 41
2001 - 31
2000 - 41

fairly consistent really. but definitely not currently improving.

With FB and Women's Basketball as low as they were this year we could only move down from recent years...hopefully this and our rank will improve in '16!

Originally posted by BoilerStutz:
Wasn't this competition part of Burke's stated goals? If I remember correctly, Purdue used to finish in the mid-thirties. I just looked up Purdue's current standing, and the Boilers are tied for 66. With the struggles of the spring sports, this number will only get worse.

I did not see last year's results which would have been even worse. I cannot figure out how Burke is allowed to perform this poorly and not only survive, but get a bonus. Performance off the field and financial stability are obviously very important, particularly at Purdue, but isn't the goal to win, at least some of the time?

Burke has spent a lot of money on facilities for minor sports, but it does not appear to be leading to the results that he himself haa stated are important.

Not that its my favorite answer to give, but the bar is just not set that high/no one cares. The last 15 years has made that pretty clear.

That said, whats surprising to me is how many on here are surprised Burke and Hazell get raises/bonuses each year. Thats all managed by employment contracts/already decided. Its not as if people go meet in a room and decide "well, this is going so well lets reward him". Both will get a raise after this year, and the next, and however long they grace us with their results.

Part of Purdue's problem with this is the number of sports it has.

Purdue offers the fewest in the Big Ten. So of course it is not going to do well in something like this.

It doesn't mean we're not doing well in Olympic sports, but the notion that Purdue would ever finish consistently high in this is just stupid.

"but the notion that Purdue would ever finish consistently high in this is just stupid."

And even worse to make it a stated primary goal/metric by the athletic dept.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It just hasn't been a very good past few years for Purdue sports no matter how you look at it. So ya, if the goal was across the board success, Purdue athletics has really fallen, especially in the past three years. Maybe that's an indication that Burke has taken Purdue athletics as far as he can and it's time for new leadership.

Football and women's basketball are in the midst of historic futility.

Wrestling had some promising dual meets this year but managed to score 4.5 points at the NCAA championships (good for 42nd place.)

Schreiber can't seem to get baseball out of the tailspin it's been in ever since the team choked in the NCAA tournament three years ago.

Women's soccer used to be an NCAA tournament regular but hasn't made it since 2009. Softball also seemed to be on the uptick between about 2008 and 2012, but has fallen completely flat since.

Even volleyball - probably our most consistently successful sport over the past decade - got jobbed by the NCAA selection committee.

Both golf teams have done well in recent years, so hopefully at least one will do something on the national stage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT