ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Hill

I think it's interesting that the "gold standard" for Boiler PGs is suddenly Octeus when most of us hadn't even heard of him when the fall semester started last year. Who knows what surprises are ahead?

Is it possible that some of the top flight PG transfer aren't looking at Purdue (like Ennis) because it is a lot of pressure on them to help the team translate the potential in to real success (Sweet 16 or B1G Championship)? I could really see that being a negative in some minds because it is obvious that a 5th year transfer is going to come in and play a lot and if things go south, it could be put squarely on his shoulders. Not that it makes sense to other people, but for a young man looking to help boost his stock, there are a lot of potential negatives that we may not have looked at yet.

JO was in a perfect situation in that there wasn't a whole lot of positive vibes about the program or expectations. The turnaround could be pinned on his ability to perform and lead....which by all accounts was true from those that were inside the program.

Is it possible that some of the top flight PG transfer aren't looking at Purdue (like Ennis) because it is a lot of pressure on them to help the team translate the potential in to real success (Sweet 16 or B1G Championship)? I could really see that being a negative in some minds because it is obvious that a 5th year transfer is going to come in and play a lot and if things go south, it could be put squarely on his shoulders. Not that it makes sense to other people, but for a young man looking to help boost his stock, there are a lot of potential negatives that we may not have looked at yet.

JO was in a perfect situation in that there wasn't a whole lot of positive vibes about the program or expectations. The turnaround could be pinned on his ability to perform and lead....which by all accounts was true from those that were inside the program.

if a 5th year senior doesn't come to Purdue (or any team) because they are afraid of the pressure or responsibility because of the current construction of the team, I personally don't want that type of player.

If you're going into your last go-around, you want things on your shoulders if you truly believe in yourself and your ability. Also, if you are afraid of the situation, you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of making the NBA.

if a 5th year senior doesn't come to Purdue (or any team) because they are afraid of the pressure or responsibility because of the current construction of the team, I personally don't want that type of player.

If you're going into your last go-around, you want things on your shoulders if you truly believe in yourself and your ability. Also, if you are afraid of the situation, you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of making the NBA.

I get that, but that wasn't my point. My point wasn't if they are here they should want to be here, that is obvious. My point was that a lot of those 5th year transfers could be looking at a potential situation at their last stop to springboard them into a professional career (overseas even) and doing that at a place in a situation like last season gave JO a lot of credit going in to that process. A lot of players may see that Purdue has all the pieces EXCEPT a pg and that adding one could mean the difference between a potential deep tourney run/conference championship. On the flip side though, what happens if it doesn't come to fruition and there are issues? That could be placed squarely on that players shoulders and be a hindrance to their future career.

Essentially what I am saying is that a lot of people think Purdue is a perfect situation for any pg to come in as a transfer, but many times people fail to see the flip side of the positives. Could it be some of the top targets have decided not to come because of the potential pressure to be a better team and have that responsibility as a one year player at Purdue?

I get that, but that wasn't my point. My point wasn't if they are here they should want to be here, that is obvious. My point was that a lot of those 5th year transfers could be looking at a potential situation at their last stop to springboard them into a professional career (overseas even) and doing that at a place in a situation like last season gave JO a lot of credit going in to that process. A lot of players may see that Purdue has all the pieces EXCEPT a pg and that adding one could mean the difference between a potential deep tourney run/conference championship. On the flip side though, what happens if it doesn't come to fruition and there are issues? That could be placed squarely on that players shoulders and be a hindrance to their future career.

Essentially what I am saying is that a lot of people think Purdue is a perfect situation for any pg to come in as a transfer, but many times people fail to see the flip side of the positives. Could it be some of the top targets have decided not to come because of the potential pressure to be a better team and have that responsibility as a one year player at Purdue?
I see what you're trying to say and discover.....but any athlete should be a competitor and welcome that challenge.....I know I would no matter the negative possibilities. Just my opinion...just like you have yours. Boiler Up!

I actually think it just comes down to minutes and style of play. Some want 30-35 minutes per game and some may want a perceived faster pace...or both. They most likely won't get either in our system. I would hope a point guard has the high level of savy and wants the challenge, though we do see different ones sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT