ADVERTISEMENT

Ive watched a lot of football in my life but need some help...

ChiBoiler07

Senior
Aug 29, 2010
Sitting down watching our reply tonight, and watching the Nebraska 3rd and G play at the 5:25 mark of the 3rd Q... I am trying to understand what should've happened with our defense pre-snap (that assumingly didn't happen) as Palmer goes in motion to overload strong side of field. I think we're in a man defense, but maybe a shallow zone with Douglas and Washington operating as spies to the QB/HB. Graham and Allen run a strong side blitz, but Allen dekes and pulls out of the blitz to hang w their HB (10)

Where we seem to make a mistake is when Palmer goes in motion, the LBS make a soft shift towards strong side, but Sanoussi immediately notices a problem, likely a numbers problem. He hand gestures but it's too late. He ends up stuck in a decision to either follow Palmer on his clearing screen route, or stick with #4, whom he's initially line up against. He chooses Palmer (smart given his day) but also gets picked and almost loses Palmer. 4 curls free to the back of the endzone.

We end up with our top side DB and Washington watching the entire play, and they have 1 and almost 2 guys running free in the end zone.

Critical play and momentum shift,, and thank God Thompson missed him, but was that a miss on our LBS, a bad defensive call for a crafty offensive play call? Good execution by Nebraska or some of all of thee above?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News