ADVERTISEMENT

It’s NOT $100 mil per team per year

IndyGlen

True Freshman
Jul 25, 2006
I decided this deserved its own thread because I continue to see posts across multiple threads that propagate the false idea that the new BIG media rights deal will bring $100 million annually to BIG schools.

It is NOT $100 mil annualy per school - more like $70 mil. Even IF the “escalator” clause is invoked it will NOT be $100 mil per school annually. Very disappointing that a Purdue message board is seemingly filled with people unable to do simple math. Totally understand media outlets with no math abilities, making errant math statements but fellow Boilers - just sad.
My Purdue engineering professors required us to show our work, so here you go:
CURRENT AGREEMENT: 7-8 billion over 7 years, so let’s be generous and use the bigger number 8 billion. 16 schools will share that (must include UCLA & USC).
$8billion / 7 years / 16 = $1.14 billion /16 = $71.1 million per year per school.

FUTURE POSSIBLE (only if escalator is invoked): the escalator clause is there primarily for the situation whereby BIG adds attractive new members. So, for this, let’s assume BIG adds 4 schools as commissioner Warren has suggested as a possibility. The math would then be:
$10billion / 7years / 20 schools =
$1.43 billion / 20 =
$71.4 million per school per year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News