ADVERTISEMENT

Is Wisconsin the favorite for the Big Ten!

rsomm

Sophomore
Jun 26, 2002
4-0 and all four games double digit wins, 2 @ home, 2 on the road! Do not have to go to Illinois or Northwestern. Their only tough road games are @ Purdue and Nebraska! If they don't slip up at home, they are in really good shape! They are a really good team!

Reactions: LetsGoRed!
4-0 and all four games double digit wins, 2 @ home, 2 on the road! Do not have to go to Illinois or Northwestern. Their only tough road games are @ Purdue and Nebraska! If they don't slip up at home, they are in really good shape! They are a really good team!
Storr the St John transfer was a heckuve add. They only go about 7 deep, agreed, they might be the favorite now. At any rate it’s about the Big Dance really, I’ll glad trade a second place finish for a Final 4 run!

That northwestern loss right off the bat really didn’t sit well with me regarding our prospects for the b1g title. And now with our blowout loss to Nebraska I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we don’t win the b1g.

Reactions: pulax78
I have a hunch we will be the #2 Seed in the Big Ten Tournament. Then again, as we couldnt buy a bucket at Nebraska, the same fate can happen to Wisconsin anywhere.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Storr the St John transfer was a heckuve add. They only go about 7 deep, agreed, they might be the favorite now. At any rate it’s about the Big Dance really, I’ll glad trade a second place finish for a Final 4 run!
But one has nothing to do with the other. Finishing 2nd in the B1G has no bearing on the tournament. You don't get to trade anything. Might as well win the conference.

Dont get me started on my disdain for wisconsin. Ever since that scrub program hired dick bennet, it turned the league backwards to the 1920's with their gimmick 'packline' defense and has STILL yet to recover.

But one has nothing to do with the other. Finishing 2nd in the B1G has no bearing on the tournament. You don't get to trade anything. Might as well win the conference.
Obviously, but what he's saying, and it's probably popular, is that he doesn't mind losing a handful of B1G games, finishing 2nd or 3rd in the conference, if somewhere along the way, the team improves on the big stage in order to win 4+ games after March 17th.

It's a theory, but one couched more in fandom than anything else. Of course we want to win every game and finish 38-2.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I would be curious at to how long Wisconsin can sustain their level of play.

Still way early and they have some losses coming.

Unfortunately at this point - yes. Sure didn't see that in pre-season.

Good team, coached well. Soon to be top 10.

Their schedule also has MSU, hopefully on one of their good nights......and don't forget powerhouse (lol) iu on their schedule. I am sure an upset is in their future. But 2 games ahead puts them in a nice position. Especially when Purdue likely loses again also.

Storr has been really good an turned them into a contender to make noise in March. They also played a 7 foot Frosh who can hit the 3 and played decent vs OSU

Agreed, my point was if they don’t I won’t stress to much. I hope they do win it, I’m not sure they will though, Wisky has a favorable schedule, not to mention two nice road wins so far, still really early. I do see Purdue losing 4-5 big ten games, will Wisconsin lose that many?

It does if we play our best players too many minutes during the regular season, trying to win a B1G championship that many say doesn’t matter anyway.

But one has nothing to do with the other. Finishing 2nd in the B1G has no bearing on the tournament. You don't get to trade anything. Might as well win the conference

Not true. We don't have the battleship sized target on our back if we finish 2nd.

Not true. We don't have the battleship sized target on our back if we finish 2nd.
Sorry, but that's stupid! Players and coaches play to win, that is what it is about! Saying only March matters, is a recipe for loosiers! Winning makes you better! Indiana likes to talk about March only and their at the point of getting into the tournament is slim. How much money have they spent, for March!

To each his own. But for me, I say you play to win every game. There is no "saving it" for the tournament. Or "I'd rather get a FF instead of conference title". They are 2 separate things and you play to win them both.

Yes, in a magic world where I can pick what I want, I would take a FF over a conference title this season. But that is just fantasy land.

I also don't believe in any "target" on us if we go into the tournament having won the conference title. We want to be a #1 seed no matter what. It makes for the best chance to win a title. If you can't beat a #16 seed or a #15 seed you don't deserve a title anyway.

To each his own. But for me, I say you play to win every game. There is no "saving it" for the tournament. Or "I'd rather get a FF instead of conference title". They are 2 separate things and you play to win them both.

Yes, in a magic world where I can pick what I want, I would take a FF over a conference title this season. But that is just fantasy land.

I also don't believe in any "target" on us if we go into the tournament having won the conference title. We want to be a #1 seed no matter what. It makes for the best chance to win a title. If you can't beat a #16 seed or a #15 seed you don't deserve a title anyway.
I agree, I want to win the conference, just not going to fret if they don’t. A 30-5 mark probably gets them a 1-2 seeding, get on a 6 game winning streak!

Sorry, but that's stupid! Players and coaches play to win, that is what it is about! Saying only March matters, is a recipe for loosiers! Winning makes you better! Indiana likes to talk about March only and their at the point of getting into the tournament is slim. How much money have they spent, for March!
Indiana (and other schools) DID used to not care so much about the Big 10 because they DID have a higher agenda.
It's a GOOD thing.
Sorry, but your comment is stupid.

I think you'd have to be the most clueless person in the room if you can't see the "best shot" that MANY teams have given us the past 2 years.
You'd have to be certifiably blind to not see what Nebraska did their NEXT game.... and many others..........
but you don't believe in a target on your back at #1..........

Wiscy has the easiest schedule in the B!G. Seems like whenever they get a fairly good team, they have one of the easiest schedule.

I think you'd have to be the most clueless person in the room if you can't see the "best shot" that MANY teams have given us the past 2 years.
You'd have to be certifiably blind to not see what Nebraska did their NEXT game.... and many others..........
but you don't believe in a target on your back at #1..........
Take it easy Alice. If anyone is clueless you might look in the mirror.....

What I said was I don't believe we have any target on us if we go into the tournament as a #1 seed after winning the conference title. You want to be the #1 seed because it gives you the best chance to win a title, period. We need to quit with this stupid target on our back crap. Man up and play like a #1 team and quit worrying about how other teams "get up for us". If we want to be one of the big boys then get used to it. Do you think Kansas fans say "let's don't be #1 people will get up for us"? Of course not, they say bring it on.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Wiscy has the easiest schedule in the B!G. Seems like whenever they get a fairly good team, they have one of the easiest schedule.
With all due respect, Wisconsin only plays Maryland, Minnesota, Michigan, and PSU once each. Those are teams you want to play twice if you want an easy schedule.

And FWIW, Purdue is still likely winning the conference.

Which team are you hoping wins between Northwestern and Wisconsin, from the standpoint of Conference standings? I normally hope the home team wins, because good road wins are so difficult and are so valuable.

Which team are you hoping wins between Northwestern and Wisconsin, from the standpoint of Conference standings? I normally hope the home team wins, because good road wins are so difficult and are so valuable.
Northwestern. Need to give Wisconsin a loss. IMO Wisconsin is the better team, so I'd like to see them get a loss.

Indiana (and other schools) DID used to not care so much about the Big 10 because they DID have a higher agenda.
It's a GOOD thing.
You never heard Bob Knight talk about his #1 goal every year was to win the BT, because he knew that if your mentally capable to win the conference, you could be tough enough to win it all!

They are going to beat NW and solidify their lead in the conference. I hate Wisconsin so much. They made some lucky a$$ shots to keep ahead. Purdue will have to sweep them to have a chance at the conference reg season title this year.

They are going to beat NW and solidify their lead in the conference. I hate Wisconsin so much. They made some lucky a$$ shots to keep ahead. Purdue will have to sweep them to have a chance at the conference reg season title this year.
It was tied at 63 with 2:30 to go and then Northwestern had horrendous possessions the rest of the way and didn't even score.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Wisconsin will win the B1G unless they fall apart. I think their schedule overall might be a little easier than ours the rest of the way out. Their road schedule might be a bit easier. Let’s go Boilers and anyone Whiskey plays lol!

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Used Portal well. 38 points from portal today from their 2 portal transfer guys. 5-0 in B10.....12 of their last 13.

That's how you use the portal to win.....if you have a great coach. Purdue going to have their hands full in the Kohl's Center. Hope Edey & company get it done. Edey can be a handful for W.

Last edited:
It was tied at 63 with 2:30 to go and then Northwestern had horrendous possessions the rest of the way and didn't even score.

Buie was uncharactictickly a train wreck the last 2 minutes....missed shots & 2 big TOs.

W coach is pretty good. In game good....preseason - grabbed right portal guys for their team

It's a GOOD thing.
Bob Knight didn't care about winning the Big 10?! Your memory fails you. He did not approve of the B10 tournament, but the regular season championship was always one of IU's stated goals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT