ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a late April Fool's joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could have done that, but he would technically have been a redshirt sophomore the following year, not a redshirt freshman because his clock started during the 2016-2017 season. Once your eligibility clock starts (which it did while he was at Prep School) you have 5 years to play 4 unless you're granted a hardship waiver for a 6th year.
No, he would have been a redshirt freshman in the fall of 2017, with the 2016-17 season being the redshirt year.

No, he would have been a redshirt freshman in the fall of 2017, with the 2016-17 season being the redshirt year.

That is still incorrect, his eligibility started during the 2016-2017 season while in Prep School.

Here's how it played out

2016-2017 enrolled mid-year; Redshirt
2017-2018 RS Freshman
2018-2019 RS Sophomore
2019-2020 RS Junior

Had he elected to enroll in the fall of 2017, here's how his eligibility would have looked

2016-2017 Freshman (wasted while at prep school)
2017-2018 Redshirt
2018-2019 RS Sophomore
2019-2020 RS Junior

His timeline would have been the same entering this coming season although he's probably not in line to graduate without a bunch of summer courses. The reason for him enrolling mid-year was specifically due to the fact that the NCAA started his clock. It wouldn't have made sense for him to waste a year of eligibility while in prep school.

That is still incorrect, his eligibility started during the 2016-2017 while in Prep School.

Here's how it played out

2016-2017 enrolled mid-year; Redshirt
2017-2018 RS Freshman
2018-2019 RS Sophomore
2019-2020 RS Junior

Had he elected to enroll in the fall of 2017, here's how his eligibility would have looked

2016-2017 Freshman (wasted while at prep school)
2017-2018 Redshirt
2018-2019 RS Sophomore
2019-2020 RS Junior

His timeline would have been the same entering this coming season although he's probably not in line to graduate without a bunch of summer courses. The reason for him enrolling mid-year was specifically due to the fact that the NCAA started his clock. It wouldn't have made sense for him to waste a year of eligibility while in prep school.
Wrong. Purdue would have counted the 2016-17 year as his redshirt.

Wrong. Purdue would have counted the 2016-17 year as his redshirt.

I'm not wrong in the least. If he enrolled at Purdue in the fall of 2017 he would have entered Purdue as a sophomore eligibility wise. Redshirting him for the 2017-2018 would have still made him a RS Sophomore for the 2018-2019 season because the NCAA started his clock during the 2016-2017 season while at prep school. You're making this entirely more difficult than it needs to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: kl40504
Coach Geez said:

I was saying bring him in mid-year (because if you didn't someone else would have)

Incorrect. He had already signed with us in November. Didn’t come to Purdue till January. He could have come in August with 4 years to play 4 years.

And he would never have played on that 2016-17 team. You had Haas and Biggie getting all the 5 minutes, with Vince at the 4.
[/quote]
Had we not redshirted him he would have had 4 years to play 3 years. Because of his unique situation, the NCAA started his eligibility while he was still a senior in high school. Bringing him to campus in August without redshirting him is the dumbest possible solution. We would have just thrown away a year of eligibility.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Painter quote from this mornings Telecon.

"Painter was caught off-guard by Matt Haarms' decision to enter the transfer portal and leave the program. He had spoken to Haarms at least twice before Monday and the 7-foot-3 senior-to-be didn't mention leaving. Painter said Haarms told him "he wasn't happy" and "wanted more." Painter closed the door on Haarms returning. "

Had we not redshirted him he would have had 4 years to play 3 years. Because of his unique situation, the NCAA started his eligibility while he was still a senior in high school. Bringing him to campus in August without redshirting him is the dumbest possible solution. We would have just thrown away a year of eligibility.

Can't tell if you're replying to me or a certain poster out of New Pal but thank you for recognizing that Haarms clock started while he was in high school.

Purdue could have theoretically let him play after he enrolled in January and then redshirted him for the 2017-2018 season and he would have still had 5 years to play 4.

New Pal doesn't understand that Haarms clock started before he arrived at Purdue.

Can't tell if you're replying to me or a certain poster out of New Pal but thank you for recognizing that Haarms clock started while he was in high school.

Purdue could have theoretically let him play after he enrolled in January and then redshirted him for the 2017-2018 season and he would have still had 5 years to play 4.

New Pal doesn't understand that Haarms clock started before he arrived at Purdue.
Yes I do. Still had 5 to play 4.

Yes I do. Still had 5 to play 4.

EXACTLY.

The scenario I laid out above gave him 5 years to play 4. Instead of redshirting during the 2016-2017 as a freshman eligibility wise, he would have redshirted as a sophomore eligibility wise during the 2017-2018 season. He would have been a sophomore eligibility wise during the 2017-2018 season regardless if he enrolled mid-year in January of 2017 or August 2017. His clock started at his prep school. Why aren't you getting this?

EXACTLY.

The scenario I laid out above gave him 5 years to play 4. Instead of redshirting during the 2016-2017 as a freshman eligibility wise, he would have redshirted as a sophomore eligibility wise during the 2017-2018 season. He would have been a sophomore eligibility wise during the 2017-2018 season regardless if he enrolled mid-year in January of 2017 or August 2017. His clock started at his prep school. Why aren't you getting this?
Would have applied the redshirt to the 2016-17 year. Duh.

Painter said in his press conference today that Monday was the first time that Haarms had mentioned being unhappy and wanting to transfer, despite having had other discussions with him previously. Can we get wolegib in here to eat crow for insinuating that this was somehow not Haarms’ decision?
And everyone saying this was not a surprise.

Reactions: PUQBMan.

It's amazing that you're still not getting this.

Purdue DID apply the redshirt to the 2016-2017. That's why he has a year of eligibility left.

If he enrolled in August of 2017 he wouldn't have had eligibility left for this coming year unless he redshirted some time between 2017 and now. It's quite simple when you remove the bias from who is posting.

2016-2017 Freshman (year wasted at Prep School)
2017-2018 Sophomore; First year at Purdue
2018-2019 Junior
2019-2020 (this last season) Senior; eligibility up

Last edited:
Kentucky fans want haarms BAD, and it sounds like he would be their starter most likely. I would not be surprised at all if he lands there, as it sounds like he may still have nba aspirations. Either way im still very disappointed he won't be on our team next year.
Kentucky has utilized the grad transfer market for bigs quite a bit over recent years.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
My 2 cents.....Haarms has carved a role as a Purdue Icon and it is sad to see him skip out on his Sr year. Good luck to him on what he does next.

As far as next year's team...I think we need to think outside of the box. Williams will get all the minutes he can handle, and his production will go up with it again. Last year this team was better when it attacked up tempo on offense, but working Haarms, Williams, and Boudreaux in the rotation held that back. Expect a ton of 4 guard lineups with Trevion and some small ball lineups with three guards and the two forwards. Worried about guarding the post? Purdue will double and have athletes to recover. Dow should be ready in year 3 to be sprinkled in against teams with a true 5 for depth. Will they miss Haarms? Yes. Will they be worse without him? Not necessarily.

I think we'll be better next year if the new guys are anywhere close to as advertised. I think we would have been even better with Haarms though. Man, I'll miss that guy. It's kind of the end of the line of our 7 foot traditional big men (who's names all started with 'H' :D).

Reactions: Roeder and Schnelk
It's amazing that you're still not getting this.

Purdue DID apply the redshirt to the 2016-2017. That's why he has a year of eligibility left.

If he enrolled in August of 2017 he wouldn't have had eligibility left for this coming year unless he redshirted some time between 2017 and now. It's quite simple when you remove the bias from who is posting.

2016-2017 Freshman (year wasted at Prep School)
2017-2018 Sophomore; First year at Purdue
2018-2019 Junior
2019-2020 (this last season) Senior; eligibility up
You’re obviously not getting it.

I get what everyone is talking about , but Haarms red shirt was not like the others. Honestly Purdue did him a favor allowing him to come to school and practice a full semester with the team. As long as he didn’t play at the prep school in 2016-17 he wouldn't of lost a year of eligibility. He would of come to Purdue with 4 years to play 4 years , because those geniuses at the NCAA said his clock had started in fall of 2016 at the prep school.

So excuse me if I’m not a little pissed at the lack of loyalty that Haarms is showing. Like I have said loyalty has to go both ways for it to be worth a darn. Facts are that Tre is just better than Matt is now. The kid has worked his butt off. And it’s not just me saying that. Tre made the Under 19 National Team. If playing in the NBA is so important to Matt then why didn’t he ever put his name in to be evaluated ? It’s free advice on where you are and what you need to work on, but yet he never did. So Matt please save the leaving so you can play at the next level. He for all purposes was beat out of his starting position by a Sophomore, who showed up to campus at like 330 lbs. That kid has done nothing , but change his body completely (which Matt has not) and taken his game to the next level (again something Matt has not done ). So Boiler up and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

I get what everyone is talking about , but Haarms red shirt was not like the others. Honestly Purdue did him a favor allowing him to come to school and practice a full semester with the team. As long as he didn’t play at the prep school in 2016-17 he wouldn't of lost a year of eligibility. He would of come to Purdue with 4 years to play 4 years , because those geniuses at the NCAA said his clock had started in fall of 2016 at the prep school.

So excuse me if I’m not a little pissed at the lack of loyalty that Haarms is showing. Like I have said loyalty has to go both ways for it to be worth a darn. Facts are that Tre is just better than Matt is now. The kid has worked his butt off. And it’s not just me saying that. Tre made the Under 19 National Team. If playing in the NBA is so important to Matt then why didn’t he ever put his name in to be evaluated ? It’s free advice on where you are and what you need to work on, but yet he never did. So Matt please save the leaving so you can play at the next level. He for all purposes was beat out of his starting position by a Sophomore, who showed up to campus at like 330 lbs. That kid has done nothing , but change his body completely (which Matt has not) and taken his game to the next level (again something Matt has not done ). So Boiler up and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

your comments may not be wrong and all what you said maybe true as to why he left but at the end of the day he made a decision he felt was necessary the best for him. Well never no if his decision to leave was a good or bad one only time will tell but the bottom line he’s a grown man this is his life and he did this for him and maybe his own happiness good luck to the guy.

I think, and I'm not positive, that Geez' posts conclude with the fact that Purdue could not RS him in 2016-17 if he was not in fact ENROLLED during that academic year. That's why he pretty much had to enroll in January. That seems to be the distinct difference in your comments vs his.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think, and I'm not positive, that Geez' posts conclude with the fact that Purdue could not RS him in 2016-17 if he was not in fact ENROLLED during that academic year. That's why he pretty much had to enroll in January. That seems to be the distinct difference in your comments vs his.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Exactly.

He was technically a freshman while enrolled in Prep School. Now Haarms could have played his year at Prep School while burning a year of eligibility and could have been redshirted immediately after enrolling in August of 2017. This would have prolonged his clock and still given him an extra year of eligibility. He would have been considered a RS Sophomore for the 2018-2019 if he redshirted during that year just as he was considered a RS Sophomore during the 2018-2019 after redshirting 2 years prior. It makes no difference and that's the correlation New Pal doesn't make.

It was beneficial for Haarms to get on campus sooner than later given his eligibility started. But New Pal wasn't aware that his clocked had already started while at Prep School. He thought that if he enrolled in August of 2017 his clock started then as opposed to the NCAA starting it the athletic season prior as evident by his post earlier

Incorrect. He had already signed with us in November. Didn’t come to Purdue till January. He could have come in August with 4 years to play 4 years.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Exactly.

He was technically a freshman while enrolled in Prep School. Now Haarms could have played his year at Prep School while burning a year of eligibility and could have been redshirted immediately after enrolling in August of 2017. This would have prolonged his clock and still given him an extra year of eligibility. He would have been considered a RS Sophomore for the 2018-2019 if he redshirted during that year just as he was considered a RS Sophomore during the 2018-2019 after redshirting 2 years prior. It makes no difference and that's the correlation New Pal doesn't make.

It was beneficial for Haarms to get on campus sooner than later given his eligibility started. But New Pal wasn't aware that his clocked had already started while at Prep School. He thought that if he enrolled in August of 2017 his clock started then as opposed to the NCAA starting it the athletic season prior as evident by his post earlier
My understanding is if he enrolled at any time of the 2016-17 school year, even during the summer, he could count it as a redshirt year.

Didn't Haarms add about 25 lbs of muscle once he got in the program?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
WOW!!!!!!!!!! Quitter easy to say that nobody knows his reasons for making this decision but to call him a quitter you have a right to feel that way and think that way but I’m sure this decision was thought out and not easy to do but in the end some may not like why he’s doing what he’s doing but in the end I just hope the guy find happiness no matter where he goes. To much going on the world right now and nobody wanna have regrets in life bcuz life is way to short to as we all are experiencing right now. I wish him truly all the best in his future endeavors. In the end he made a decision to do what he felt was best himself no matter what others think is right or wrong or him making a mistake he will have to live with that decision for the rest of his life. Good luck to the young man wish him well

If he is not on the team then he is a quitter and I will leave it at that!

Reactions: Lionheart1
I will miss his energy, blocked shots, and eating up some minutes as a reserve. Getting pushed around, the injuries due to slender build, and minimal rebounds for 7’+ not so much.

This is heartbreaking! The biggest advantage vs any opponent is leaving! Instead of playing him with williams and learning to play them together now we only have williams... You take advantage of match ups we had a big one...had!
Wow this was unexpected. This seems like a pretty big blow, especially with Dow having basically zero in game experience. I think everyone projected Edey to be a redshirt next year. He is probably going to be relied on quite a bit next year now.

Reactions: Schnelk
My understanding is if he enrolled at any time of the 2016-17 school year, even during the summer, he could count it as a redshirt year.

Summer 2017 would have been after the end of the 2016-2017 basketball season and ran concurrent with the 2017-2018 basketball season. I'm not sure the technicality, but the NCAA actually ruled that Haarms clock started in 2016 when he enrolled at the prep school in KS. This is a guess but I take it he completed the necessary work equivalent to a high school degree in Europe. Most kids elect to go to a prep school finish or accelerate their high school, I think Haarms went to prep school to gain notoriety for his prospective recruitment, inadvertently starting his collegiate eligibility.

No- A backup 5 who averages 9 and 5 is not a “HUGE” loss. Tough loss, yes. It sucks, and I wish he was staying.

Carsen, Big Dog, those are “HUGE” losses.
His numbers on the offensive end don’t tell the whole story. At 7’3” he’s a game changer on D. He will be one of the most sought after transfers. You just don’t find guys like that. And to say he’s a backup really isn’t true. Yes, he did most the season, but he could easily start on this team or any other and no one would question it. You’re selling him short.

His numbers on the offensive end don’t tell the whole story. At 7’3” he’s a game changer on D. He will be one of the most sought after transfers. You just don’t find guys like that. And to say he’s a backup really isn’t true. Yes, he did most the season, but he could easily start on this team or any other and no one would question it. You’re selling him short.
You always seems to be more open and honest with your opinions. It’s more to the game than scoring also need guys to stop the other opponents from scoring and he did that so did nojel. He’ll be missed no doubt and the list of schools showing interest says it all.

Didn't Haarms add about 25 lbs of muscle once he got in the program?
Ya that was the rumor. I didn’t see much of a change in his body from last year to this year. I know that he got thrown around a lot and to the floor a lot by other players. I guess it’s just sad that Matt feels that changing schools will get him to finally work on the deficiencies in his game he has. Maybe that’s what it takes for the kid. Maybe just maybe, because as it seemed here he wasn’t listening to the coaches.

I will miss his energy, blocked shots, and eating up some minutes as a reserve. Getting pushed around, the injuries due to slender build, and minimal rebounds for 7’+ not so much.
I’ve always thought he would be a beast in a zone defense. His defense numbers would be much better if he were allowed to camp under the basket on D, something CMP never took advantage of.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I’ve always thought he would be a beast in a zone defense. His defense numbers would be much better if he were allowed to camp under the basket on D, something CMP never took advantage of.
Well to be fair, you think that zone is the solution to everything including COVID-19. KIDDING! :D

Haarms was a beast though already and floated quite a bit if I recall right. That is why he had so many blocks to his name and really I think it came down to he doesn't want to have to worry about splitting time like he did with Tre. Which is fair to want that if you want....

Who knows, this all is kinda weird at this point the more we learn about it.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Reading Painter’s comments in the GBI article, he (Painter) sounds pissed. It sounds like this transfer definitely came out of the blue and had some stink to it. I think the fact that Painter has already closed the door on his return is telling. Something must have been done or said that really rubbed Painter the wrong way.

To throw a little wrinkle into this redshirt discussion... Painter met with reporters this morning for a QA, and said “I did this team no favors from a competitive perspective by redshirting the two guys, but is still committed to doing what’s best for individuals.”
Interesting quote, painter clearly says it was his decision to redshirt. I've maintained that stance and took heat from a few specific posters.

I agree with all that. I just don’t consider it a “HUGE” loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT