ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a late April Fool's joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sure would have been nice to give Dow some minutes thru the year for his development. But so many people said we were already loaded at center. Then Haarms got hurt and is now transferring. So now we're thin at both the 4 and 5. Just great...
Tre and Dow at the 5, with Edey in the wings as needed. Gillis and Wheeler at the 4, with maybe some Nojel thrown in as needed.

The main issue long term, is not being able to redshirt Edey this season.

Yeah, sure would have been nice to give Dow some minutes thru the year for his development. But so many people said we were already loaded at center. Then Haarms got hurt and is now transferring. So now we're thin at both the 4 and 5. Just great...
They said that we would probably take 3 in the 2021 class 2 to 3 weeks ago, so I guess that is for sure now. They had been talking about we might oversign for 2021, with 3 commitments, so maybe we take 4 in 2021 now?

He probably does still love Purdue, but hard to blame a kid with professional aspirations for not wanting so split minutes as a Senior.
Come on...his professional aspirations being impacted had far more to do with him and his shortcomings or failure to develop in three years than it did with competing with anyone.

He has ZERO chance of playing in the NBA, so, whatever aspirations he may have are not at all impacted by whether he is splitting minutes...and, if that bothered him, maybe if he worked on said shortcomings at some point in three years, he would hot have split minutes to the extent that he had.

I think there's also issues with this team from a leadership perspective that probably weighed in on his decision as well. There's certainly something "not right" with this team right now.
I'm not sure what you mean by " not right" but it happens at every school and actually less at Purdue than most schools. It doesn't have to mean that he had a problem with Purdue but just wants to start.

Reactions: BBG
Matt Haarms was the only player on this team with a remote chance at the next level, and I don’t mean that crap overseas.

If you thought this year was bad … Welcome to Munchkinland.

Oh man! I am bummed! I think Haarms was playing hurt a lot this year and never was quite himself. Was really looking forward to next year and seeing him have a bounce back year and do great things for us. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Probably one of the few things I hate about college basketball is how fluid the players situation is and how short a college career is especially if someone turns pro or transfers. Very few players who transfer seem to have better success elsewhere, but I wish him the best if this is what he wants to do. I just hope he has thought it through well enough.
Agree with your post, however I'm all for player movement... The coaches are paid millions and leave at the drop of a hat and can coach elsewhere immediately. The players are paid zippo and have to sit out a year. Has always seemed unfair to me. I will miss Haarms bigtime and wish him the best and hope he gets an overseas contract. I think he is ready for that IMHO.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Come on...his professional aspirations being impacted had far more to do with him and his shortcomings or failure to develop in three years than it did with competing with anyone.

He has ZERO chance of playing in the NBA, so, whatever aspirations he may have are not at all impacted by whether he is splitting minutes...and, if that bothered him, maybe if he worked on said shortcomings at some point in three years, he would hot have split minutes to the extent that he had.

I mean, sure, but you're not in the kid's head. Surely HE doesn't believe his chances of playing in the NBA are zero.

Agree with your post, however I'm all for player movement... The coaches are paid millions and leave at the drop of a hat and can coach elsewhere immediately. The players are paid zippo and have to sit out a year. Has always seemed unfair to me. I will miss Haarms bigtime and wish him the best and hope he gets an overseas contract. I think he is ready for that IMHO.
Its great to see players succeed and go on to the next level. As a fan it is sort of bittersweet because of the lowered expectations of the team the next year when someone like Carsen or Biggie leave early. The 3 amigos played all 4 years but when they played their last game and their college careers were over, man that was a sad day. Just goes with the territory of being a college basketball fan.

Why would a senior leaving impact our 2021 plans? He would have been gone anyway.
Good point. You are right; it wouldn't. Sorry, I was thinking about someone else.

I think being shut in the house for the last 3 weeks, except for the occasional walk or going out to the pharmacy/grocery store, is getting to me as it is getting to everyone else.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
and just yesterday Minn signed a transfer center from Drake.

as was pointed out by GBI, haarms only played 20 minutes in 1 of Purdue's last 12 games and that was in overtime against Rutgers. Clearly he didn't feel wanted or in Purdue's future plans. And he definitely wasn't going to be a star or #1 option next year .

However as we ALL know...……..

It was HIS decision !

I wouldn't be surprised to see another player announce a transfer . and it's not the one most people think.

and just yesterday Minn signed a transfer center from Drake.

as was pointed out by GBI, haarms only played 20 minutes in 1 of Purdue's last 12 games and that was in overtime against Rutgers. Clearly he didn't feel wanted or in Purdue's future plans. And he definitely wasn't going to be a star or #1 option next year .

However as we ALL know...……..

It was HIS decision !

I wouldn't be surprised to see another player announce a transfer . and it's not the one most people think.
It was his decision, not sure why you keep pointing that out.
Only thing I can think of is that the direction going forward was going to focus more on Tre and his minutes already dropped towards the year as someone already pointed out.

I am not even that worried about being too short because that seems to be where the game is going anyway. Who knows, I wish him the best.

Man... this has been one weird basketball season. I guess an out of left field transfer fits in with how it all ended.

What are you insinuating?

I'm relating my comments to the redshirt post where I was informed 24 million times it was the player's decision to redshirt, without any influence from painter.

I'm insinuating that Haarms had his end of season review/talk with Painter. and that talk was a factor in his decision.

I'm also insinuating after seeing this, other players have also had their end of season review, and with an honest look to the future may also decide their future is not at Purdue and may follow in Haarms footsteps and transfer.

take a look around. there are a lot of players transferring these days . and purdue is no different than any other school. if an elite athlete comes to a school and ends up being benched or recruited over, the tendency now is to transfer. Elite athletes don't like playing off the bench.

Purdue has Ivey and Morton coming next year. I doubt either one redshirts. That will provide an abundance of guards. I realize painter loves to play a 3 guard offense. However, if your dream was to start at Purdue and before you play a game, you've been recruited over, it makes you rethink your decision to stay. Elite players don't sign with the intention of redshirting.

That's what I'm insinuating.

Is this mean that someone else is taking his minutes next year?
If he were a 5, then who would that be, Dow?
Or, someone else coming in?

I did not see this coming..

G'Luck, Matt.
Since Wheeler can't shoot anymore, bulk him up and put him behind TW.

I'm relating my comments to the redshirt post where I was informed 24 million times it was the player's decision to redshirt, without any influence from painter.
I have to ask because I am bored, why do you let things on here bother you so much? I mean to hang on to something so, inconsequential is just a waste of time.

The fact is no one on this forum knows what is said, not said or goes on outside of the public eye with basketball program. After reading the article on the front page it seems like his decision to to move on had nothing to do with Purdue and he just wants to maximize his chance at the next level. As I said in my other post I wish him well.

He will be missed for sure from a defensive point of view, but Tre was our leading scorer (I think) and more than likely is going to be our starter, regardless of Haarms and playing the most minutes next season. I mean how could he not? He was a beast last season and just needed some help and we would of won more games.

I'm insinuating that Haarms had his end of season review/talk with Painter. and that talk was a factor in his decision.

I'm also insinuating after seeing this, other players have also had their end of season review, and with an honest look to the future may also decide their future is not at Purdue and may follow in Haarms footsteps and transfer.

take a look around. there are a lot of players transferring these days . and purdue is no different than any other school. if an elite athlete comes to a school and ends up being benched or recruited over, the tendency now is to transfer. Elite athletes don't like playing off the bench.

Purdue has Ivey and Morton coming next year. I doubt either one redshirts. That will provide an abundance of guards. I realize painter loves to play a 3 guard offense. However, if your dream was to start at Purdue and before you play a game, you've been recruited over, it makes you rethink your decision to stay. Elite players don't sign with the intention of redshirting.

No, Painter and the players are clearly lying... Trying to deceive you, but you'll have none of it.

Good for you!

Tre and Dow at the 5, with Edey in the wings as needed. Gillis and Wheeler at the 4, with maybe some Nojel thrown in as needed.

The main issue long term, is not being able to redshirt Edey this season.
The main issue is that they have a hole at the position now that they did not otherwise, and, a big one at that...Edey is nowhere near ready to play, much less contribute...and, Dow has shown the same unfortunately.

It is a big blow for Purdue unfortunately, at a time that they could not really afford it either.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
The main issue is that they have a hole at the position now that they did not otherwise, and, a big one at that...Edey is nowhere near ready to play, much less contribute...and, Dow has shown the same unfortunately.

It is a big blow for Purdue unfortunately, at a time that they could not really afford it either.
Not to knock the kid, but I guess I’ve seen us lose multiple bigs that were more consistently productive than Matt, and survive... and also I’m assuming a scholarship center in his 3rd year will be ready to provide backup minutes. If not, then THAT’S a problem.

Reactions: JRowdy20 and BBG
Not going to lie, this hurts a little, I understand from Haarms point, perhaps he wants to play 30 minutes a game. Purdue will still be fine, however, they could now use a grad transfer big.

However, if your dream was to start at Purdue and before you play a game, you've been recruited over, it makes you rethink your decision to stay. Elite players don't sign with the intention of redshirting.

What are you suggesting?

Only two fits in this category, Newman and Gillis.
Are you suggesting Newman be transferring?

WTH?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Wtf this is a shocker, and that Purdue was blindsided is the most shocking.
Didn’t Haarms live with Painter at one point?
I don’t ever consider it shocking when a backup who is eligible to grad transfer, transfers. Same with Sandi, JT, etc. Might be another one next year, who knows?

Reactions: boilernuke
Not to knock the kid, but I guess I’ve seen us lose multiple bigs that were more consistently productive than Matt, and survive... and also I’m assuming a scholarship center in his 3rd year will be ready to provide backup minutes. If not, then THAT’S a problem.
They need someone capable of more than providing backup minutes, as, Tre still has conditioning issues, struggles at the defensive end, and, gets in foul trouble...Dow has shown nothing at all to date to even suggest that he is capable of backup minutes (and, agree...THAT is a problem).

Haarms had holes in his game and shortcomings, but he also had a wealth of experience...and, could impact a game at times at either end of the floor.

It is just a position where Purdue is very limited already (as well as the 4)...if a guard had left, it would not be near as impactful, nor surprising. This came out of nowhere...

Reactions: Zaphod_B
What are you suggesting?

Only two fits in this category, Newman and Gillis.
Are you suggesting Newman be transferring?

WTH?

Just rambling.

"Recruited over" should have tipped you off. Purdue basketball continues to recruit each year, bringing in solid recruits, so that equates to being "recruited over".

Painter should have promised each recruit that they, and only they, will be on the roster at their given position for the remainder of their eligibility.

That's what builds a strong program.

:rolleyes:

Just rambling.

"Recruited over" should have tipped you off. Purdue basketball continues to recruit each year, bringing in solid recruits, so that equates to being "recruited over".

Painter should have promised each recruit that they, and only they, will be on the roster at their given position for the remainder of their eligibility.

That's what builds a strong program.

:rolleyes:
If you are recruiting better players, then you are “recruiting over” the previous ones. If you are recruiting worse players, you are a bum....Either way..... FIRE PAINTER!!!

They need someone capable of more than providing backup minutes, as, Tre still has conditioning issues, struggles at the defensive end, and, gets in foul trouble...Dow has shown nothing at all to date to even suggest that he is capable of backup minutes (and, agree...THAT is a problem).

Haarms had holes in his game and shortcomings, but he also had a wealth of experience...and, could impact a game at times at either end of the floor.

It is just a position where Purdue is very limited already (as well as the 4)...if a guard had left, it would not be near as impactful, nor surprising. This came out of nowhere...
Well, that’s why I said in his “3rd year”... I’m assuming Dow develops between now and next season. Same with Tre.

That's certainly a glass-half-empty perspective. We have nothing proven for those minutes but we have a couple players who now have an opportunity. Assuming Williams is probably a 25-30 mpg player then we have 10-15 minutes to figure out. Maybe Dowuona can pick up those minutes, maybe not. You seem to have written off Edey already. Maybe that's accurate. I don't have enough info to either substantiate or refute that. If neither of those options work out, we can always go small for stretches. It changes the way we play, for sure but I'm not ready to write off the season just yet.

Matt Haarms was the only player on this team with a remote chance at the next level, and I don’t mean that crap overseas.

If you thought this year was bad … Welcome to Munchkinland.
Are you so sure about that there are no others on this roster that has NBA potential no matter what some may think college athletes make decisions right or wrong that best suits them that has nothing to do with the school or coaches. Wish Matt all the best in his future endeavors hate to see him leave was fun to watch

What I remember from Dow, his defense may be serviceable.
Albeit 10~15 min to relieve Trey.

We can play small for sure with the current roster.
It just feels strange without a rim protector in the roster.
Or, Edey can be a surprise and be the rim protector from the get go.

Either way, it just gives more minutes for the guys.

G\Boiler Up!

for those that read this board and follow Purdue basketball on a daily basis , I can't believe many of you thought this was a shocker or caught anybody including Painter by surprise. there have been several long threads where long time posters have suggested up to three players might transfer at the end of this season. A couple of those related threads were admittedly deleted by the moderators because they became too personal .

and those knowledgeable people are also knowledgeable about the end of season reviews Painter has with his players, and the fact that many players have left Purdue to go to other schools. the list is rather long of payers transferring from Purdue. and Purdue has a long list of accepting transfers.

ultimately it's the player's decision, much like football. However, I am not naïve to believe that sometimes Painter had some influence in the player making that decision. and in some cases, it appeared the Painter helped that player find a new home. Didn't we have a player transfer to IUPUI ?

Under the new power 5 league rules, no player in football or basketball can have their 4 year scholarship rescinded. however, I have to believe that both in football and basketball, tha t coaches were honest with players, and players accepted their advice and decided to look elsewhere. it happens at all of the major programs including UK, Kansas and Duke.

I also have to believe in 95% of the cases, a player has talked to his coach before making a decision, and also before that decision is announced publically.

To me, to suggest that this was a total shock or surprise is a little naïve. I'm sorry after reading some of Brian's other articles about player decisions, his credibility is no longer 100%. Yet people still believe him. I'm personally just a tad skeptical when I read stuff like the coaching staff was blind sided or surprised by his decision. it was the same coaching staff that only played him more than 20 minutes in one of the last 12 games. and that game went into overtime. That's kind of sending a message. The coaching staff had already decided to go in a different direction. Is it any surprise or shock that the player looked at his minutes and his future role and also decided to go in a different direction? Isn't that what both Stephens and Taylor did ? rather than being bench players, they went somewhere else where they could play.

and Painter wished them well in their future endeavors. At some point in time, and after re-occurrence takes place, a person begins to speculate that what he reads from the media and the coach isn't always the entire story or forthcoming. I've never heard Painter say a bad word about a player leaving including Ewing and Smotherman. .

I wish Haarms well, and he probably does need a new start somewhere else. But I don't believe his move will lead to becoming a star elsewhere or a path to the NBA. I also don't believe it was a surprise or shock to Painter or his coaching staff or players. .

Honestly the more I think about this, the more I am not all that concerned. Not so much because Haarms isn't a huge gap to fill, but more that we have had to recover from more with less. And then go on out and win the B1G and nearly get to a Final Four :)

What really gets me is how blindsided everyone was by this. Even the coaching staff it seems had no idea and that is a character flaw on Haarms part.

You know, this all came about after he cut his hair. I knew something was amiss with all of that.....

for those that read this board and follow Purdue basketball on a daily basis , I can't believe many of you thought this was a shocker or caught anybody including Painter by surprise. there have been several long threads where long time posters have suggested up to three players might transfer at the end of this season.
You keep poking at this when it needs no poking. Yes we speculated people might transfer but I don't recall one post suggesting Haarms was one of them. It caught everyone by surprise...........including the coaching staff......... so yes it is very shocking.

You're trying to diminish this all for the sake of stirring things up. Stop it.

No one has ever said that the decision is not influenced by Painter-thats BS. We have said that no matter how much or little CMP influences the players decision... it IS still the players decision.

Very easy concepts people. Come on

HUGE loss in my opinion. What happens if tre catches 2 quick fouls? Or fouls completely out of the game? Dow looked unimpressive against other teams walkons, and edey did not look impressive either in his HS film when i watched some of it.

Really think painter needs to hit the transfer market hard for a hybrid 4/5 type player as the 4 is also razor thin. At this point without haarms and no transfers im changing my prediction for next year from 20 wins and a tournament berth to 17 wins and the NIT.

Reactions: PurduePete98
No one has ever said that the decision is not influenced by Painter-thats BS. We have said that no matter how much or little CMP influences the players decision... it IS still the players decision.

Very easy concepts people. Come on
It's really kind of amazing how some on here try and make everything about them whether directly or indirectly.

I mean at this point who cares? The season is over, it's irrelevant to whats going on now and I am out of beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT