ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a late April Fool's joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting quote, painter clearly says it was his decision to redshirt. I've maintained that stance and took heat from a few specific posters.

That’s not really telling though. Of course it’s ultimately the choice of the kid to redshirt, but does anyone not actually think the ramifications for not redshirting weren’t laid out by Painter?

I mean you have a foreign kid whose been in the states for a couple months whose only played a handful games in prep school transferring to a school contending for a B10 title with arguably the best backcourt in the country. What was Haarms going to do? I highly doubt Haarms is transferring because he redshirted 2 months in a unique situation.

Reactions: Purdue85
Summer 2017 would have been after the end of the 2016-2017 basketball season and ran concurrent with the 2017-2018 basketball season. I'm not sure the technicality, but the NCAA actually ruled that Haarms clock started in 2016 when he enrolled at the prep school in KS. This is a guess but I take it he completed the necessary work equivalent to a high school degree in Europe. Most kids elect to go to a prep school finish or accelerate their high school, I think Haarms went to prep school to gain notoriety for his prospective recruitment, inadvertently starting his collegiate eligibility.
He didn’t have to enroll in January in order to redshirt.

Reading Painter’s comments in the GBI article, he (Painter) sounds pissed. It sounds like this transfer definitely came out of the blue and had some stink to it. I think the fact that Painter has already closed the door on his return is telling. Something must have been done or said that really rubbed Painter the wrong way.
Would you put it past Sean Miller, Cal or Mack to put out feelers thru back channels?

He didn’t have to enroll in January in order to redshirt.

You can theoretically redshirt at any point in your career, it’s not limited to your first year on campus. Haarms eligibility clocked started while he was at prep school, presumably when he got there in the Fall of 2016. He didn’t have to enroll at Purdue in January, he could have played at Sunrise Christian while simultaneously burning a year of eligibility had he ultimately wanted too, although that wouldn’t have made any sense or been beneficial to his collegiate development. January 2017 (the start of the second semester) was the earliest he could have enrolled at Purdue as you can’t officially enroll during the middle of the semester.

That’s not really telling though. Of course it’s ultimately the choice of the kid to redshirt, but does anyone not actually think the ramifications for not redshirting weren’t laid out by Painter?

I mean you have a foreign kid whose been in the states for a couple months whose only played a handful games in prep school transferring to a school contending for a B10 title with arguably the best backcourt in the country. What was Haarms going to do? I highly doubt Haarms is transferring because he redshirted 2 months in a unique situation.
I didn't even mention haarms. I'm talking about all the redshirts. It's clearly painter who decides.

Reactions: Purdue85
I didn't even mention haarms. I'm talking about all the redshirts. It's clearly painter who decides.

My fault, but yes completely agree. It’s like when I was a lad and my father used asked me if I ever wanted to mow the lawn. It was never a yes or no question by the way.

Yes I would be shocked if players were redshirting without serious and/or undue influence from the coaching staff.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
My fault, but yes completely agree. It’s like when I was a lad and my father used asked me if I ever wanted to mow the lawn. It was never a yes or no question by the way.

Yes I would be shocked if players were redshirting without serious and/or undue influence from the coaching staff.
Yup. Pretty naive to believe painter doesn't have total control over his multimillion dollar program.

Yup. Pretty naive to believe painter doesn't have total control over his multimillion dollar program.

Control? Sure, but hardly the dictatorship you make it out to be. I’ve been fortunate enough to sit through many coaching clinics over the years from Bobby Knight to Gene Keady to Larry Bird to even John Wooden once I started coaching back in the late 70s. Even Matt Painter I’ve heard speak and even had the luxury of sitting in on a recruiting visit as he was recruiting one of our kids as an assistant under Keady. He’s not the most personable or chasmic guys out there, but he’s a straight shooter and you can tell he strives for a consistent level of transparency in whatever message he’s trying to get across.

I personally don’t think he sits a player down and blindsides them about redshirting without it being a long thought out discussion beforehand. Rather, I think he meets with each freshman individually as they enroll on campus late down a foundation or pre-performance expectations that need to be met by the time the season starts.

I think as a player if you’re completely blindsided by a coach giving a recommendation of redshirting I think that falls harder on you than the coach. Personal accountability is everything at this level of basketball. These coaches aren’t going to hold your hand through the weight room and offseason conditioning, they aren’t going to remind you to watch film and learn your assignments, etc etc. I believe the guys who ultimately redshirt fall under this category, they just aren’t ready. I would say the majority of the players who fall under this category have some kind of pre-recognition that this conversation is going to eventually take place and most reluctantly agree once everything is laid out in front of them. I believe there are definitely circumstances where a player on the recommendation of redshirting does push back to an extent where common ground is eventually agreed upon but I think it’s a rare occurrence where there’s been zero transparency taking a place and a kid flat refuses to redshirt under a coaches recommendation to redshirt. I think that player and coach are parting ways before anyone is forced to do anything.

So yes, I do agree there’s plenty of pressure and undue influence set forth by the coaching staff, but at the end of the kid ultimately reluctantly agrees.

If his game is NBA ready then why doesn’t he go pro? Doesn’t make sense to me unless he just wants more time in the court.
let’s be honest...he’s a backup center on our team (not a good team) who’s minutes will decrease next year. #writingonthewall

You can theoretically redshirt at any point in your career, it’s not limited to your first year on campus. Haarms eligibility clocked started while he was at prep school, presumably when he got there in the Fall of 2016. He didn’t have to enroll at Purdue in January, he could have played at Sunrise Christian while simultaneously burning a year of eligibility had he ultimately wanted too, although that wouldn’t have made any sense or been beneficial to his collegiate development. January 2017 (the start of the second semester) was the earliest he could have enrolled at Purdue as you can’t officially enroll during the middle of the semester.
He could have enrolled in the summer and still redshirted.

He could have enrolled in the summer and still redshirted.

Of course he could have, where did I say he couldn’t? But he wouldn’t have been a RS Freshman for the 2018-2019 season, he would have still been a RS sophomore because his freshman year started during the 2016-2017 season.

Of course he could have, where did I say he couldn’t? But he wouldn’t have been a RS Freshman for the 2018-2019 season, he would have still been a RS sophomore because his freshman year started during the 2016-2017 season.
Nope. Would have redshirted the 2016-17 year.

Nope. Would have redshirted the 2016-17 year.

It’s unbelievable how wrong you still are on this. His clock started in 2016 when he enrolled at Sunrise Christian. That was technically his freshman year even though he was at a prep school. Had he enrolled in the summer of 2017, he would have started Purdue with only 3 years of eligibility remaining. Again another chart to dumb it down for you.

2016-2017: Sunrise Christian; freshman
Enroll summer 2017-2018: Purdue; Redshirt
2018-2019: Purdue; Redshirt sophomore
2019-2020: Purdue; Redshirt junior
2020-2021: 5th year

His clock is literally no different in scenario 1 than scenario 2 which actually happened

2016-2017: Sunrise Christian/Purdue Redshirt
2017-2018: Purdue; Redshirt Freshman
2018-2019: Purdue; Redshirt Sophomore
2019-2020: Purdue; Redshirt Jr

My eldest daughter works in the NCAA eligibility center, specifically the clearinghouse department. Please, do not EVER quit your day job.

You get 5 years to play 4 regardless of when you elect to take your redshirt. His clock started during the 2016-2017 season, his last year of eligibility is the 2020-2021 season regardless of when he redshirted or enrolled at Purdue. Haarms could have been collecting trash the last 4 years and next year would have still been his last year of eligibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: PUQBMan.
It’s unbelievable how wrong you still are on this. His clock started in 2016 when he enrolled at Sunrise Christian. That was technically his freshman year even though he was at a prep school. Had he enrolled in the summer of 2017, he would have started Purdue with only 3 years of eligibility remaining. Again another chart to dumb it down for you.

2016-2017: Sunrise Christian; freshman
Enroll summer 2017-2018: Purdue; Redshirt
2018-2019: Purdue; Redshirt sophomore
2019-2020: Purdue; Redshirt junior

His clock is literally no different in scenario 1 than scenario 2 which actually happened

2016-2017: Sunrise Christian/Purdue Redshirt
2017-2018: Purdue; Redshirt Freshman
2018-2019: Purdue; Redshirt Sophomore
2019-2020: Purdue; Redshirt Jr

My eldest daughter literally works in the NCAA eligibility center, specifically the clearinghouse department. Please, do not EVER quit your day job.

You get 5 years to play regardless of when you elect to take your redshirt. His clock started during the 2016-2017 season, his last year of eligibility is the 2020-2021 season regardless of when he redshirted or enrolled at Purdue. Haarms could have been collecting trash the last 4 years and next year would have still been his last year of eligibility.
You are incorrect.

At this point I’m just going to have to accept your stubbornness as defeat. I’ll try not to hold your stupidity against you. Not being able to admit your wrong in understanding how NCAA eligibility works is petty.
You are wrong. And I’m done explaining this to you.

5 to play 4.

If your clock starts during the 2016-2017 season these are literally the 5 outcomes:

No redshirt
16-17: Freshman
17-18: Soph
18-19: Jr
19-20: Sr
20-21: No 5th yr

redshirt first year
16-17: RS
17-18: Fr
18-19: Soph
19-20: Jr
20-21: Sr (5th)

redshirt 2nd year
16-17: Fr
17-18: Redshirt

redshirt 3rd year
18-19: RS

redshirt 4th year
19-20: RS

Notice every single scenario regardless of when the redshirt is taken ends with the 5th year being the 2020-2021 season. Unless you’re still under some kind of deniability that Haarms clock didn’t start during the 2016-2017 season, every post you’ve made since roughly 10am has been wrong. And not only just flat wrong, but have been proven wrong time and time again. It’s sad really.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
“I just want a place where I can showcase an NBA-ready skillset,” Haarms told Rivals.com about his decision to leave Purdue. “I want to have a great year so I can transition to the pro level.”

So a few things about this quote. Most importantly he wants to go pro and feels Purdue is not the best place for him to do that. Just don't see it as far as the nba goes, haarms is not an NBA level talent. We've had far better players that fizzled out of the league quickly, or in a guy like haas' case, didn't even get drafted. Nothing wrong with wanting to pursue your dreams, but I think he's overrating his talent quite a bit.

Im also going to assume that he was not very thrilled about splitting time and losing his starting spot to a guy who's 2 year younger. Seems like he wants to be the focal point of the offense as well. But that just isn't haarms game at the high major level. He's not nearly offensively skilled enough to be a go to scoring type player.

Could also just be a problem with the offense in general and him feeling his role in the motion offense won't get the scouts attention no matter how many minutes he plays. All in all still not happy he left. We definitely could've used him next year.

Below is a link to quote

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/matt-haarms-discusses-early-suitors-decision-timeline

Last edited:
“I just want a place where I can showcase an NBA-ready skillset,” Haarms told Rivals.com about his decision to leave Purdue. “I want to have a great year so I can transition to the pro level.”

So a few things about this quote. Most importantly he wants to go pro and feels Purdue is not the best place for him to do that. Just don't see it as far as the nba goes, haarms is not an NBA level talent. We've had far better players that fizzled out of the league quickly, or in a guy like haas' case, didn't even get drafted. Nothing wrong with wanting to pursue your dreams, but I think he's overrating his talent quite a bit.

Im also going to assume that he was not very thrilled about splitting time and losing his starting spot to a guy who's 2 year younger. Seems like he wants to be the focal point of the offense as well. But that just isn't haarms game at the high major level. He's not nearly offensively skilled enough to be a go to scoring type player.

Could also just be a problem with the offense in general and him feeling his role in the motion offense won't get the scouts attention no matter how many minutes he plays. All in all still not happy he left. We definitely could've used him next year.

Below is a link to quote

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/matt-haarms-discusses-early-suitors-decision-timeline
Coach Cal is going to showcase him like Derek Willis.

If your clock starts during the 2016-2017 season these are literally the 5 outcomes:

No redshirt
16-17: Freshman
19-20: Sr
20-21: No 5th yr

redshirt first year
16-17: RS
17-18: Fr

redshirt 2nd year
17-18: Redshirt

redshirt 3rd year
18-19: RS

redshirt 4th year
19-20: RS

Notice every single scenario regardless of when the redshirt is taken ends with the 5th year being the 2020-2021 season. Unless you’re still under some kind of deniability that Haarms clock didn’t start during the 2016-2017 season, every post you’ve made since roughly 10am has been wrong. And not only just flat wrong, but have been proven wrong time and time again. It’s sad really.
Of course he redshirted in 2016-17. Not arguing that.

let’s be honest...he’s a backup center on our team (not a good team) who’s minutes will decrease next year. #writingonthewall
Wasn't he also the back up center on the team that was a bounce of the ball away from a final four team? I watched every game I could this year, and Haarms was very often one of the major effectors of the games we won, and he played well in most of the games we lost. You refer to this year's team as though they were terrible. They weren't. They were in almost every game and were often beaten on overtime games or very clos games.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Wasn't he also the back up center on the team that was a bounce of the ball away from a final four team? I watched every game I could this year, and Haarms was very often one of the major effectors of the games we won, and he played well in most of the games we lost. You refer to this year's team as though they were terrible. They weren't. They were in almost every game and were often beaten on overtime games or very clos games.

Some tend to forget what he accomplished and how much he was apart of team no one saw winning share of big ten championships and getting to an elite. Soon as said player decides to do something that best suits them that tends to go away or forgotten. They just needs to respect his decision bcuz it’s his life and I hope everything works out for him. Nojel was apart of that historic run to and even many forget what he did to bcuz he didn’t put up the numbers this season like many thought. That duo from a defensive standpoint was one of the best 1/2 punch in the big ten and in the country last season as well as this season but all that’s washed bcuz their production wasn’t good enough this season all that seems to be forgotten. All the best to Matt he should chase his dreams no matter what a fan think he cannot accomplish.

there goes any hope for a final four run or championship hopes!!!

Tre and Dow at the 5, with Edey in the wings as needed. Gillis and Wheeler at the 4, with maybe some Nojel thrown in as needed.

The main issue long term, is not being able to redshirt Edey this season.

I am very disappointed and shocked. Anyone not thinking this is a huge loss is crazy. It could be devastating depending on if we bring in a grad transfer. Even if we do, I highly doubt they will be as productive as Matt. As we all saw this year, there is a fine line between average and good. Although Matt's numbers were not jaw dropping, he brought a different dynamic to the team. Tre and Matt's skill sets are very different and opposing teams would have to adjust accordingly.

As I said, I am very disappointed. I'm disappointed in Matt's niavitay. I'm really not sure of his US support structure, but clearly self reflection is not his friend and I'm not sure who is advising him. Could he go to Kentucky? Sure, but he will be the fifth option. He could have stayed, focused, and worked his ass off and been the number one option when he was on the court. I highly doubt he will find a better situation then he had a Purdue. Being 23, I thought he would have made a more mature decision. I'm also disappointed in CMP. That really shows a lack of awareness for your team. He needs to understand the heartbeat of the team and make adjustments as necessary. I just feel like this was an avoidable position, with proper communication this could have possibly had a different outcome. Communication not in the past three weeks, but in the past seven months.

I will also point out while at senior day, I commented to my son on the lack of emotion Matt showed while on the bench listening to our three seniors. It seemed he was very disconnected at that point. I do realize the loss was a punch in the gut, but his demeanor was different than the rest of the teams.

Be special, be a Boilermaker. This isn't for everyone. Times like this makes you appreciate all of the workhorses we have seen at Purdue. There isn't a kid on the team that doesn't want to play 35 minutes and be the focal point. Most can accept their roles and have the ability to put the team first.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
Some tend to forget what he accomplished and how much he was apart of team no one saw winning share of big ten championships and getting to an elite. Soon as said player decides to do something that best suits them that tends to go away or forgotten. They just needs to respect his decision bcuz it’s his life and I hope everything works out for him. Nojel was apart of that historic run to and even many forget what he did to bcuz he didn’t put up the numbers this season like many thought. That duo from a defensive standpoint was one of the best 1/2 punch in the big ten and in the country last season as well as this season but all that’s washed bcuz their production wasn’t good enough this season all that seems to be forgotten. All the best to Matt he should chase his dreams no matter what a fan think he cannot accomplish.

You make it sound like Nojel is SO unappreciated by Purdue fans. It grows tiresome. People have gone out of their way complimenting him and you.

It'd be nice to hear you say for once, how much you appreciate what Purdue University has provided for your son.

You make it sound like Nojel is SO unappreciated by Purdue fans. It grows tiresome. People have gone out of their way complimenting him and you.

It'd be nice to hear you say for once, how much you appreciate what Purdue University has provided for your son.

Sir I no what a great education my son so far has received and I do appreciate the fans support however I’ve been on this site since his freshman year and the amount of criticism he’s received since he’s been at Purdue has been constant. It grows tiresome switch shoes with and see if u can take on hearing some constantly complaining about what he can’t do some wanting him to transfer some complaining about his lack of offensive production let me see how u feel when u constantly read it hear it let me see how u handle someone constantly talking ur child. Look at the amount of comments about Matt Haarms right bcuz he chose to transfer suddenly now he’s a quitter and other things they saying about him but the guy gave his all for 3 years to a program that he made a decision that some think he will regret why the sudden change. You gave your comment I’m going stick with mine plz do not tell me I don’t appreciate the fans who support me and my son I’ve always thanked them every chance I got. I’m totally aware of the top notch education he’s receiving neither my son or I takes that for granted. I’m gonna move on no need for your response until you walk in my shoes don’t judge me or how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT