ADVERTISEMENT

Is purdue a "Blue blood program"?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Per Bing, a blue blood is defined as...

In college basketball, the term “blue blood” refers to NCAA Division I basketball programs that are considered among the most elite, either currently or historically. The term is rooted in nobility, where “blue blood” was an alternative term for aristocracy. In sports, it signifies teams with a long history of success, multiple national championships, numerous alumni who have reached the NBA, and a dedicated and passionate fan base.

Alumni professional talent? check
Passionate fan base? check
Consistent success? check
All that is missing is an NCAA banner.

But, is that a valid definition of blue blood program?

No. Not even close. Purdue needs to win at least 5 championships to get in that convo. UConn is a blue blood in my eyes. They have won 5 in 29 years with 3 diff coaches.

To be a blue blood, you don’t fizzle out in the first round in back to back years or miss the tournament for 5 straight or lose to double digit seeds in consecutive years. You are able to get to multiple final 4s in a decade, you put players in the nba consistently.

No. Only 15 teams have multiple championships, so that's probably the bare minimum requirement.

Per ChatGPT:

"Blue blood" programs in NCAA men's basketball are traditionally the most prestigious, successful, and storied teams in the history of the sport. These teams typically have a long history of winning, large fan bases, and a significant impact on college basketball. As of my last update in April 2023, the generally recognized blue blood programs are:

1. University of Kentucky (Kentucky Wildcats): Known for their many NCAA tournament appearances and championships, Kentucky has a storied history and a passionate fan base.
  2. University of North Carolina (UNC Tar Heels): With multiple national championships, UNC is known for its consistent success and the production of NBA talent.
  3. University of Kansas (Kansas Jayhawks): Kansas has a long tradition of basketball excellence, including numerous conference titles and national championships.
  4. Duke University (Duke Blue Devils): Duke is renowned for its many national championships and tournament appearances under coach Mike Krzyzewski.
  5. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA Bruins): UCLA holds the record for the most NCAA Men's Basketball Championships, largely thanks to the dynasty built under coach John Wooden.
These programs are considered the elite and have a significant influence on the sport's history and culture. However, it's worth noting that the list of blue bloods can evolve slightly over time as programs rise and fall in prominence."

For what it's worth, "what have you done for me lately" counts - so I would swap in UConn for UCLA at #5.

No. Not even close. Purdue needs to win at least 5 championships to get in that convo. UConn is a blue blood in my eyes. They have won 5 in 29 years with 3 diff coaches.

To be a blue blood, you don’t fizzle out in the first round in back to back years or miss the tournament for 5 straight or lose to double digit seeds in consecutive years. You are able to get to multiple final 4s in a decade, you put players in the nba consistently.
Are you even a Purdue fan? We did NOT lose in back to back years in 1st round. You sound like an IU fan!

Reactions: rofor2
Are you even a Purdue fan? We did NOT lose in back to back years in 1st round. You sound like an IU fan!
Don't forget the "5" championships. I do believe we're trending into a sustainable program that continues to be in the convo😉

Easy there fella…I am far from an IU fan.

I was listing what makes teams not a blue blood…so I gave examples of fizzling out in first round (us) and losing back to back years in first round (IU) and also missing tourney for five years straight (IU).

Reactions: Zaphod_B
We may not be blue blood yet, but we are at least getting the question asked - what does it take to be a blue blood program? Being ranked number 1 in multiple years is still pretty impressive. I am proud of my team and so far they have put the past behind them quite effectively.
Right but we are nowhere near the conversation. And won’t be until multiple natty championships have been won.

Also, throw out Kansas as a blue blood because they only have 4. 😂
on top of their 4, Look at how many times they’ve won their conference, how many times they get to the F4, put players in the nba, ranked number 1, how many times they have been to the S16 and E8, how many times they have made the tournament in a row….

on top of their 4, Look at how many times they’ve won their conference, how many times they get to the F4, put players in the nba, ranked number 1, how many times they have been to the S16 and E8, how many times they have made the tournament in a row….
Hey now fella. I'm going off your criteria, not mine.

Don't forget the "5" championships. I do believe we're trending into a sustainable program that continues to be in the convo😉
This thread is absolutely ridiculous to begin with, as Woodsa starts these types of threads on both the Purdue and IU board all the time…but sure 4+ championships is where we can start talking. But how about we get to multiple E8s and F4s in the span of decade?

This thread is absolutely ridiculous to begin with, as Woodsa starts these types of threads on both the Purdue and IU board all the time…but sure 4+ championships is where we can start talking. But how about we get to multiple E8s and F4s in the span of decade?
Relax, I'm just giving you crap. I just think "blue blood" is a relative term. There have been plenty of times throughout history programs have established themselves as a "blue blood".
MSU, Villanova, Michigan, Arizona..etc have done this in my mind. I don't believe there's a threshold of how many championships a program needs to win in order to have that status.

Now, I do agree we need to win a championship in the modern era. I also think programs like IU, Kentucky, UCLA are failing their programs because of that status.

Relax, I'm just giving you crap. I just think "blue blood" is a relative term. There have been plenty of times throughout history programs have established themselves as a "blue blood".
MSU, Villanova, Michigan, Arizona..etc have done this in my mind. I don't believe there's a threshold of how many championships a program needs to win in order to have that status.

Now, I do agree we need to win a championship in the modern era. I also think programs like IU, Kentucky, UCLA are failing their programs because of that status.
Haha I know. UK and UCLA at least have been to F4s and UK won a championship…10 years ago but yeah not winning championships is tough for their status.

Agree with most but putting players in the nba isn’t a metric imo.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Per Bing, a blue blood is defined as...

In college basketball, the term “blue blood” refers to NCAA Division I basketball programs that are considered among the most elite, either currently or historically. The term is rooted in nobility, where “blue blood” was an alternative term for aristocracy. In sports, it signifies teams with a long history of success, multiple national championships, numerous alumni who have reached the NBA, and a dedicated and passionate fan base.

Alumni professional talent? check
Passionate fan base? check
Consistent success? check
All that is missing is an NCAA banner.

But, is that a valid definition of blue blood program?
Put banners above ethics. FAIL

I would say there is Blue Blood Light, like Villanova.
I think the tier right below blue blood is what Colin Cowherd calls Purdue
“A Basketball School”. Unfortunately he’s usually talking about football when he says it.

Purdue isn't a blue blood.

I would include Purdue is in a group of very solid programs that have been consistently successful over a long period. Programs such as Oklahoma, Memphis, Cincinnati, Illinois, Arkansas, Marquette, Texas, Temple, and Notre Dame.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Purdue isn’t a blue blood and blue blood is a very vague term which is related both to accomplishments and brand/national following which makes it a very difficult group to break into. There are 4 consensus blue bloods (UK, UNC, Duke, and KU), two programs that are often mentioned but often left out because of their recent history (UCLA and IU) and one who is gets mentioned sometimes because of their championships, but lacks the brand (UConn).

I don’t view Blue Blood as a goal worth striving for, for a program like Purdue.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I would agree with the 5 schools being considered as blue bloods. To be considered as a blue blood is more than just winning, stats, and championships. It’s also about the school’s basketball history. To that end, I would include, Duke, UNC, Kansas , Kentucky and UCLA.

I believe there is a second tier of schools known for having basketball success. I include IU, UCONN, MSU, Villanova, Marquette, st John’s, and Purdue in this group.

I would agree with the 5 schools being considered as blue bloods. To be considered as a blue blood is more than just winning, stats, and championships. It’s also about the school’s basketball history. To that end, I would include, Duke, UNC, Kansas , Kentucky and UCLA.

I believe there is a second tier of schools known for having basketball success. I include IU, UCONN, MSU, Villanova, Marquette, st John’s, and Purdue in this group.
The last 3 are not like the rest 😂

Reactions: Davehack
It’s sort of like in football, when you think of blue bloods you think of usc, nd, Michigan , OSU and Alabama as football blue bloods.

Teams like Oklahoma, Clemson Texas Georgia, Florida and PSU, fsu Nebraska and Miami may have more championships

It’s not really about how many championships they have won. It’s about perspective and culture.

Purdue isn't a blue blood.

I would include Purdue is in a group of very solid programs that have been consistently successful over a long period. Programs such as Oklahoma, Memphis, Cincinnati, Illinois, Arkansas, Marquette, Texas, Temple, and Notre Dame.
I agree we aren't a blue blood program yet, but over the past 2 years we have probably gotten more attention (some good, some bad) than any other team. Can't say I agree with your list of comparable programs. Cincinnati, Temple and Notre Dame. Temple hasn't had a good team in 20 years. And Notre Dame has had only one decent season in the past 8 years. And Cincinnati hasn't gotten to the Sweet 16 in a dozen years. I would say you set the bar pretty low when listing comparable programs.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT