ADVERTISEMENT

Is Edey done after this season?

Jan 3, 2015
He still has 1 year of eligibility remaining. We know with the recruiting class we signed, that he isn’t coming back to Purdue. Is it possible that somebody throws $5 million his way to play one season? I know this is far-fetched, but I also know there are teams out there that would do this. that is enough money to set him up for a long time. Just a crazy out of the box thought, or maybe he walks on next season at Purdue and doesn’t take a scholarship. I don’t see him making as much as a pro next year as what he could from one more year in college.

Last edited:
Reactions: dumpsterFyre
As much as we would love it, I imagine we would lose TKR and Berg. You have to kind of feel bad for those guys...no one could see Edey blowing up while TKR was making his school choice.

As much as we would love it, I imagine we would lose TKR and Berg. You have to kind of feel bad for those guys...no one could see Edey blowing up while TKR was making his school choice.
I don't see it with Berg. He's learning for 2 years playing against Zach every day in practice. He's only getting better. 3 more years to make an impact at Purdue.

As for TKR, I really don't know. I don't see the improvement that we all heard about all offseason. Is he going to see that jump from sophomore to junior? I hope so but I'm not optimistic. I think he slows things down when they need to be sped up.

As for TKR, I really don't know. I don't see the improvement that we all heard about all offseason.
To be fair we've only seen him play against powerhouse teams that are trying to take away our game plan. I will reserve judgement until we get into the meat of the B1G schedule.

Reactions: Schnelk
I will be very surprised if Edey isn’t playing professionally somewhere next year. I still think he has a place in the NBA, but he’ll make a whole lot of money in his professional career, regardless.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
He still has 1 year of eligibility remaining. We know with the recruiting class we signed, that he isn’t coming back to Purdue. Is it possible that somebody throws $5 million his way to play one season? I know this is far-fetched, but I also know there are teams out there that would do this. that is enough money to set him up for a long time. Just a crazy out of the box thought. Or maybe he walks on next season at Purdue and doesn’t taker a scholarship. I don’t see him, making as much as a pro level next year as what he could from one more year in college.
It's an interesting thought because he may make more money with NIL deals than he would in the NBA.

I would hope he stayed at Purdue and we lost someone over pulling a Hunter Dickinson and leaving for a program like Kansas or Kentucky for one year.

He is making close to $1M right now at Purdue which would undoubtedly go up tremendously if he won POTY again. Even here.

I'm certain Painter would find room for him. He could even be a walk-on player, it's not like he doesn't have the money to pay tuition.

He still has 1 year of eligibility remaining. We know with the recruiting class we signed, that he isn’t coming back to Purdue. Is it possible that somebody throws $5 million his way to play one season? I know this is far-fetched, but I also know there are teams out there that would do this. that is enough money to set him up for a long time. Just a crazy out of the box thought, or maybe he walks on next season at Purdue and doesn’t take a scholarship. I don’t see him making as much as a pro next year as what he could from one more year in college.
The 2024 draft class is supposedly terrible. That might help him get into the first round.

He’s done, there comes a time where one needs to go, 4 years in college is enough. I’m sure Trayce Jackson Davis could have earned a mint, it would have been embarrassing seeing him return, sort of the same with Edey. Edey is earning plenty of money somewhere next year.

Reactions: Murv 3
He’s done, there comes a time where one needs to go, 4 years in college is enough. I’m sure Trayce Jackson Davis could have earned a mint, it would have been embarrassing seeing him return, sort of the same with Edey. Edey is earning plenty of money somewhere next year.
What if Dollar Bill guarantees him $3 million in NIL for next season?

He’s only 21, doesn’t turn 22 til may. Lots of kids older than that playing college basketball.

The money would have to come from a sponsor outside the USA. Seems to not be a huge barrier, but it's not as easy as being sponsored by the local auto dealer.

I keep reading Zach makes 1 million dollars from NIL. I’m just curious. What kind of deal does he have? Where is the money coming from?

What if Dollar Bill guarantees him $3 million in NIL for next season?

He’s only 21, doesn’t turn 22 til may. Lots of kids older than that playing college basketball.
I don’t see him staying, I realize the money might be great, just think he elects to turn pro.

I have no idea where Edey would fit in the Asian or European leagues but the salaries aren't nearly what they are for NBA talent. Seems like the best talent in the best leagues make over $1 M but it doesn't seem like the norm.

I have no idea where Edey would fit in the Asian or European leagues but the salaries aren't nearly what they are for NBA talent. Seems like the best talent in the best leagues make over $1 M but it doesn't seem like the norm.

I feel like he would almost be certain to play in China.

I don't see it with Berg. He's learning for 2 years playing against Zach every day in practice. He's only getting better. 3 more years to make an impact at Purdue.

As for TKR, I really don't know. I don't see the improvement that we all heard about all offseason. Is he going to see that jump from sophomore to junior? I hope so but I'm not optimistic. I think he slows things down when they need to be sped up.
Agreed. But I hope that corner three was a sign of things to come.

Reactions: Schnelk

I think TKR has been really good.

Limited minutes and limited spacing next to Edey. He’s played with confidence and he’s been efficient. We will likely not see how good this kid is/can be until after Edey is gone.

Hopefully TKR sticks around next year.

Limited minutes and limited spacing next to Edey. He’s played with confidence and he’s been efficient. We will likely not see how good this kid is/can be until after Edey is gone.

He plays hard and has been very aggressive. He hasn't hit his stride yet.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
He plays hard and has been very aggressive. He hasn't hit his stride yet.
he definitely has not played to the same level he did in the 1st scrimmage.
But he seems to have made a stride or two here lately. Maybe it was taking and making a shot other than a baby right hook shot. I think i see glimpses of him coming out of his shell and maybe playing a bit freer. even his free throws looked better last game.
I still like him playing with Caleb, they seem to feed off each others energy.
I look forward to seeing how they fare with starter minutes next year.

I don’t see him staying, I realize the money might be great, just think he elects to turn pro.
It very well could take him an entire pro career to make 5 mill. I think if somebody came at him at the end of the season with a lot of money, it would be hard for him to say no. It would also take a lot of pressure off of him for his professional career.

I think his contract would max out at 2 million/year based on where he would be drafted. I think he sniffs that, for sure, if he comes back. Making a deep run in March would be great for him if he goes overseas. I think he comes back for 24/25.

To be honest, what college teams do you know that play with a center focused offense that would feature him? If there is a team, which one has a legit shot at making the tourney? Now the next slice of the data set, which one has a legit chance of making a deep title run?

It is an extremely small set of teams and perhaps he knows that as well. I think he goes pro whether here or abroad.

Reactions: titaniumbolt

With Edey likely/95% leaving I would guess he and Furst are the 5 and 4 next Year. I hope Tuesday we see these two get 25-30 minutes together unless the game says not to.

It very well could take him an entire pro career to make 5 mill. I think if somebody came at him at the end of the season with a lot of money, it would be hard for him to say no. It would also take a lot of pressure off of him for his professional career.
He’ll make an NBA team next year, also, there will be other ways he makes money. I mean, not entirely sure but he probably goes like the KY kid and Jackson Davis did after last season. I just think after 4 years he’ll think he’s had enough. You are correct though, he does have things to think about.

To be honest, what college teams do you know that play with a center focused offense that would feature him? If there is a team, which one has a legit shot at making the tourney? Now the next slice of the data set, which one has a legit chance of making a deep title run?

It is an extremely small set of teams and perhaps he knows that as well. I think he goes pro whether here or abroad.
Exactly, if he were to return at Purdue a few guys would most likely leave, TKR and maybe Furst leave, maybe Berg as well.

Really? I thought he's looked pretty good at times this season. He's been effective at spelling Edey for a few minutes at center so far this year. I think Kaufmann-Renn is a potential all-Big Ten big man, if given the opportunity.

Reactions: mathboy

He wouldn’t need to go somewhere where he needs to be “the guy”. If there was a team out there that has almost all the pieces, but could add great interior defense, in the best offensive rebounder in the nation. Just like Kansas adding Hunter Dickinson.

I have to believe that every coach who has lived through the nightmare of playing against him would take him in a heartbeat. He gives your team such an advantage at both ends. They may use him differently than MP does.

Kansas pulled Dickerson from UM and is featuring him. I understand that Edey is not Dickerson, but Edey would be a dominant player on any college team.

He wouldn’t need to go somewhere where he needs to be “the guy”. If there was a team out there that has almost all the pieces, but could add great interior defense, in the best offensive rebounder in the nation. Just like Kansas adding Hunter Dickinson.
You and @BoilerAndy make fair points on the Dickinson comparison.

Really? I thought he's looked pretty good at times this season. He's been effective at spelling Edey for a few minutes at center so far this year. I think Kaufmann-Renn is a potential all-Big Ten big man, if given the opportunity.
To your point, when Edey sits, our opponents don’t narrow the score. TKR and Furst are more than adequate backups, and do not put us at a disadvantage. I’ve watched the score differential each game when Edey goes out, and it stays the same.

I don’t see much fall off next year. Of course there will be some, but not as much as many of our rivals hope for. How many times have we heard “Purdue is going to drop without _______”? We are going to see it again with Edey leaving, but I think we are going to be very competitive next year too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
To your point, when Edey sits, or opponents don’t narrow the score. TKR and Furst are more than adequate backups, and do not put us at a disadvantage. I’ve watched the score differential each game when Edey goes out, and it stays the same.

I don’t see much fall off next year. Of course there will be some, but not as much as many of our rivals hope for. How many times have we heard “Purdue is going to drop without _______”? We are going to see it again with Edey leaving, but I think we are going to be very competitive next year too.
I agree with drop off. I think this team will still be a top 15 team next year. With Smith, Loyer, Colvin, TKR, and Heide. On paper that should be a lot of scoring to make up for the loss of Edey. Where the team is going to struggle the most is the adjustment to not having that huge presents in the middle defensively and rebound wise. Everyone is going to have to crash the boards rather than seeing Edey and just knowing if its anywhere in his orbit its his...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT