ADVERTISEMENT

Is Biden the problem.....or is Dem policy the problem?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Sure, the correct answer is....BOTH.

But it wouldn't surprise me is Biden bows out.......or he passes away suddenly like Anthony Scalea did sometime prior to the August Convention.

But polls now are so bad for Biden that if they stay that way.....it will surprise me that something doesn't happen.

But truth is, Biden is not the primary problem......
**It's the bad Dem policy that has caused inflation.
**It's the Dem green energy deal that has caused energy to skyrocket.
**It's the Dem open borders that have made the country dangerous and caused unneeded tax expenses that have even enraged Dems.
**It's the campus riots and antisemitism that have enraged the general public.

So not sure dropping Biden will help, when it's really terrible Dem policy that is creating the war against the middle class.

But it wouldn't surprise me is Biden bows out.......or he passes away suddenly like Anthony Scalea did sometime prior to the August Convention.

But polls now are so bad for Biden that if they stay that way.....it will surprise me that something doesn't happen.

**It's the Dem open borders that have made the country dangerous and caused unneeded tax expenses that have even enraged Dems.

So not sure dropping Biden will help, when it's really terrible Dem policy that is creating the war against the middle class.
I must have forgotten how good the Republican policy was from the years 2000 to 2008 when the economy was ran into a ditch until Obama came to the rescue.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03

This isn’t really a debate. It’s not Biden. It’s the Democrat Party. California, Illinois and NY are Democratic utopias. Super majorities. Democratic Governors. Years of control. Chicago has had one party rule for over a hundred years. Yet the States are in shambles. The Democratic-urban areas are third world. Large out migration. 51% of Illinois residents want to leave. And where are these people moving and staying?

This isn’t really a debate. It’s not Biden. It’s the Democrat Party. California, Illinois and NY are Democratic utopias. Super majorities. Democratic Governors. Years of control. Chicago has had one party rule for over a hundred years. Yet the States are in shambles. The Democratic-urban areas are third world. Large out migration. 51% of Illinois residents want to leave. And where are these people moving and staying?

I know that, you know that......we think that should be common knowledge even.

But do you think independents understand that yet??
I say doubtful.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I must have forgotten how good the Republican policy was from the years 2000 to 2008 when the economy was ran into a ditch until Obama came to the rescue.
One of the major issues with this argument by you is that you ignore the housing crisis which was a major cause of the down turn that was created by Democrats.

BTW, you never seem to name the policy from Republicans that you (wrongfully) believe caused the financial crisis.

"The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act is legislation that was passed by the U.S. Congress in response to financial industry behavior that led to the financial crisis of 2007–2008. It sought to make the U.S. financial system safer for consumers and taxpayers.

Named for sponsors Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.) and Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), the act contains numerous provisions, spelled out over 848 pages, that were to be implemented over a period of several years."

Last edited:
Reactions: Joetboiler
One of the major issues with this argument by you is that you ignore the housing crisis which was a major cause of the down turn that was created by Democrats.

BTW, you never seem to name the policy from Republicans that you (wrongfully) believe caused the financial crisis.

"The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act is legislation that was passed by the U.S. Congress in response to financial industry behavior that led to the financial crisis of 2007–2008. It sought to make the U.S. financial system safer for consumers and taxpayers.

Named for sponsors Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.) and Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), the act contains numerous provisions, spelled out over 848 pages, that were to be implemented over a period of several years."
Policies of Bush the Younger. Dodd-Frank I thought meant well but it did contribute to the housing issue. Bush the Younger signed it into law though.

Policies of Bush the Younger. Dodd-Frank I thought meant well but it did contribute to the housing issue. Bush the Younger signed it into law though.
What policies specifically? You never get specific.

Dodd-Frank was the primary contributor because it created the housing bubble.

I know that, you know that......we think that should be common knowledge even.

But do you think independents understand that yet??
I say doubtful.
Polls show they are. Nevada is becoming a red state despite the large influx of Californians. And second and third generation Hispanic families aligning with the party that best reflects their values.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
What policies specifically? You never get specific.

Dodd-Frank was the primary contributor because it created the housing bubble.
Well, you can start by Bush the Younger lying about weapons of mass destruction and getting us into perpetual senseless wars. One lasting 20 years. He was president during that decade so most of his policies obviously led to the recession or depression whatever you want to call it.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03

The NEW Dem party & their nonsense policy is changed....or maxed up.

Slight change..... Poorly timed uncontrollable spending.... Unneeded spending at wrong time...follows COVID spending with unneeded spending causing inflation

Way Different......open border

Different......green energy mandates & regs. Now Maxed out under Biden. Energy way up causing more inflation

Way Crazy Different...... antisemitism terrorist is ok

Way Way different.....Title 9, a man can dress in a girl's locker room & compete in ladies sport, all ages.

Other than the spending.....Obama had some of the above which is now, under Biden is to the max on steroids.

Last edited:
Well, you can start by Bush the Younger lying about weapons of mass destruction and getting us into perpetual senseless wars. One lasting 20 years. He was president during that decade so most of his policies obviously led to the recession or depression whatever you want to call it.

LOL. Is their a President who would not compare favorably to Bush Jr.???

How about comparing to Reagan??

Just to make sure I understand your point, are you saying that the Dodd-Frank act caused the 2008 financial crisis?

I mean, sure it didn't help, but almost everyone in government thought the intel was right at the time. We didn't need to be spending that money. I agree, but that's not what caused the recession. Not even close.

Just to make sure I understand your point, are you saying that the Dodd-Frank act caused the 2008 financial crisis?
I'm not claiming it did. It did. Or at least it was a major contributor. There were tons of risky loans that were defaulted on because of Dodd-Frank which was a major contributing factor. This extra money in the marketplace pushed the housing bubble up to a point it couldn't sustain and it burst.

I'm not claiming it did. It did. Or at least it was a major contributor. There were tons of risky loans that were defaulted on because of Dodd-Frank which was a major contributing factor. This extra money in the marketplace pushed the housing bubble up to a point it couldn't sustain and it burst.
This is interesting, I've not heard it before. Can you explain specifically how Dodd-Frank led to the risky loans that caused the 2008 financial crisis? Like, which part of the law allowed what thing to happen in the marketplace that led to the crisis?

This is interesting, I've not heard it before. Can you explain specifically how Dodd-Frank led to the risky loans that caused the 2008 financial crisis? Like, which part of the law allowed what thing to happen in the marketplace that led to the crisis?
It was the CRA and forcing banks to make risky loans to meet government quotas. Fannie and Freddie were also over leveraged with garbage and Barney Frank was the staunchest supporter of Fannie and Freddie. Then add NINJA loans to over rated portfolios, backed by credit default swaps, and losers trying to become house flippers and the housing crises ensued. But the government hasn’t learned. Still forcing lenders to make decisions on equity instead of an ability to meet repayment will cause yet another crash. Subsequently destroying those neighborhoods they say they are helping.

https://news.yahoo.com/news/government-did-cause-housing-crisis-162040648.html

It was the CRA and forcing banks to make risky loans to meet government quotas. Fannie and Freddie were also over leveraged with garbage and Barney Frank was the staunchest supporter of Fannie and Freddie. Then add NINJA loans to over rated portfolios, backed by credit default swaps, and losers trying to become house flippers and the housing crises ensued. But the government hasn’t learned. Still forcing lenders to make decisions on equity instead of an ability to meet repayment will cause yet another crash. Subsequently destroying those neighborhoods they say they are helping.

https://news.yahoo.com/news/government-did-cause-housing-crisis-162040648.html
So NOT the Dodd-Frank act?

The policy of the one party duopoly is the problem. George w bush republicans like yourself aren’t any better.

Trump drew in a lot of workers. One of the main things that drew them in was a promise to end the wars and re-invest that money back home. Do you think the average Trump voters was attracted to that promise because they thought it meant either the invisible hand deemed them worthy or they work their whole lives only to lose their “entitlements”

People you couldn’t keep up with for half a work day lol

Dodd Frank was 2010 in response to the financial crises. The CRA was a major cause of the housing crash. I think the confusion was Barney Frank was involved in both. Such an unimpressive individual.

Yes, sorry I got my lefty bills mixed up. The CRA is what led to the housing crisis.

Dodd-Frank was what made the recovery from the 2008 crash slow.

"The recession in 1990 and early 1991 came after the collapse of the S&L industry in the late 1980s and the failure of almost 1600 banks during the same period. Both were blamed on insufficient regulatory authority or lax enforcement—again like the narrative that supported the Dodd-Frank Act—and produced the Financial Institutions Recovery, Reform and Enforcement Act (FIRREA) in 1989 and the FDIC Improvement Act (FDICIA) in 1991. These laws increased the regulatory authority of federal bank regulators, and under pressure from Congress and the public they cracked down on depository institutions, causing a credit crunch and what was called a “jobless recovery” in 1991. In addition, the first set of Basel risk-based capital rules were adopted in 1988 and were gradually phased in at this time, requiring banks to re-compute their capital positions and in many cases required them to increase their capital.

Thus, there is historical evidence that the slow recovery from the 2008 financial crisis is due in part—maybe primarily—to the fact that the Dodd-Frank Act was adopted shortly after the crisis. Instead of allowing the economy and the financial system to heal naturally, it introduced constraints, costs and uncertainties that have interfered with the natural course of the recovery. Moreover, like the Pecora hearings, Dodd-Frank was based on the idea that the private sector was to blame for the crisis and thus sought to punish the very entities that were necessary to finance a recovery."

Government intervention is the cause for most of our financial problems, as well as the cause for slow recoveries. The sooner we get past this idiotic narrative that we need government intervention, the next crisis will be small and barely noticed. Instead, we get long drawn out painful events that ends up with high inflation and interest rates.

Last edited:
I know this, living 25 minutes from Chicago I sure miss Mayor Daley, he was a moderate Democrat, no doubt he wasn’t perfect, however, compared to Lightfoot and Johnson it’s not even close. How Johnson beat Vallas is beyond me. I still love the city, however, not hanging out late night anymore there.

To act like Freddie and Fannie were responsible for the bad mortgages……..and that the government was forcing private lenders to write subprime and ARM mortgages to unqualified people is being disingenuous. Private lending institutions saw a cash cow and ran with it. It was the perfect example of how American companies, left unrestricted by regulations and oversight, will take advantage to make money will little regard to the consequences. Not to mention bundling worthless mortgages and doubling down to save their asses with credit default swaps.

• Haha
Reactions: Riveting-
To act like Freddie and Fannie were responsible for the bad mortgages……..and that the government was forcing private lenders to write subprime and ARM mortgages to unqualified people is being disingenuous. Private lending institutions saw a cash cow and ran with it. It was the perfect example of how American companies, left unrestricted by regulations and oversight, will take advantage to make money will little regard to the consequences. Not to mention bundling worthless mortgages and doubling down to save their asses with credit default swaps.
Wrong. Private entities were forced to give out risky loans. It wasn't greed it was force.

Yes, sorry I got my lefty bills mixed up. The CRA is what led to the housing crisis.

Dodd-Frank was what made the recovery from the 2008 crash slow.

"The recession in 1990 and early 1991 came after the collapse of the S&L industry in the late 1980s and the failure of almost 1600 banks during the same period. Both were blamed on insufficient regulatory authority or lax enforcement—again like the narrative that supported the Dodd-Frank Act—and produced the Financial Institutions Recovery, Reform and Enforcement Act (FIRREA) in 1989 and the FDIC Improvement Act (FDICIA) in 1991. These laws increased the regulatory authority of federal bank regulators, and under pressure from Congress and the public they cracked down on depository institutions, causing a credit crunch and what was called a “jobless recovery” in 1991. In addition, the first set of Basel risk-based capital rules were adopted in 1988 and were gradually phased in at this time, requiring banks to re-compute their capital positions and in many cases required them to increase their capital.

Thus, there is historical evidence that the slow recovery from the 2008 financial crisis is due in part—maybe primarily—to the fact that the Dodd-Frank Act was adopted shortly after the crisis. Instead of allowing the economy and the financial system to heal naturally, it introduced constraints, costs and uncertainties that have interfered with the natural course of the recovery. Moreover, like the Pecora hearings, Dodd-Frank was based on the idea that the private sector was to blame for the crisis and thus sought to punish the very entities that were necessary to finance a recovery."

Government intervention is the cause for most of our financial problems, as well as the cause for slow recoveries. The sooner we get past this idiotic narrative that we need government intervention, the next crisis will be small and barely noticed. Instead, we get long drawn out painful events that ends up with high inflation and interest rates.
Hillsdale, lol. They might be right, but I tend to not give much credibility to organizations that start with their conclusion and THEN look for evidence to support it. Might as well be PragerU.

Glad you finally caught your mistake, though I'm disappointed I didn't get to ask you how Dodd-Frank caused a crisis two years before it was passed. Would've been amazing to see you try to suggest the democrats have time-traveling powers.

Question about the CRA, is it really a "lefty bill," as you describe it? Introduced by a democrat, yes, but the voting record shows it was considerably bipartisan. Also, isn't the CRA still in effect? So, to the extent it was a cause, it clearly needed other things to result in the crisis, otherwise we'd still be in one.

It seems the Gramm-Leach-Billey Act was a significant contributor to the 2008 financial crisis. Was it a "lefty bill?" It also seems the CFMA was a significant contributor. Was it a "lefty bill?"

To be clear, I'm not specifically trying to blame republicans, seems like both parties were beholden to Wall Street's desire for less regulation, which ultimately led to the crisis.

Dodd Frank was 2010 in response to the financial crises.
I know, I was just being cheeky with the other poster, wondering how long it would take them to realize what they were saying made no sense.
The CRA was a major cause of the housing crash. I think the confusion was Barney Frank was involved in both. Such an unimpressive individual.
How was he involved with it any more than every legislator was over the years? He wasn't in congress yet when it passed.

...and the war against the working poor by allowing illegals to flood the nation, straining public resources and putting downward pressure on low-end wages.

This is disastrous dem policy that Crow announced in the 2020 campaign. However, there are many repubs who secretly (or even openly) support it on behalf on their donor-owners - so bleep them too.

...and the war against the working poor by allowing illegals to flood the nation, straining public resources and putting downward pressure on low-end wages.

This is disastrous dem policy that Crow announced in the 2020 campaign. However, there are many repubs who secretly (or even openly) support it on behalf on their donor-owners - so bleep them too.
It ain’t no secret when Chump told the Flav-Or-Aid drinkers in congress to bet not sign a bi-partisan bill, right leaning border bill.

It ain’t no secret when Chump told the Flav-Or-Aid drinkers in congress to bet not sign a bi-partisan bill, right leaning border bill.
You have made it clear previously on this forum you have no idea what was in the bill. There is no reason to keep making that point. We believe you when you demonstrate you don't know what you are talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerHuff3

When it's history often you know what you are talking about.......I guess that stops with very recent history where you are looking only at the crust without knowing what's in the pie.

Reactions: BoilerHuff3
When it's history often you know what you are talking about.......I guess that stops with very recent history where you are looking only at the crust without knowing what's in the pie.
True or false. Chump told Johnson and the repubs to not to go through with the border bill that they were fixin to pass.

I know, I was just being cheeky with the other poster, wondering how long it would take them to realize what they were saying made no sense.

How was he involved with it any more than every legislator was over the years? He wasn't in congress yet when it passed.
The CRA went through several reauthorizations/amendments that codified the destructive parts. He was around for the latter. He was also the Chairman of the House Banking Committee and basically could block any reforms and changes and prevent them from getting out of committee. He was Fannie & Freddie's godfather (see below). It's how basically Madigan ruled Illinois for 40 years. No bill got to the floor without him getting paid. Its why HR 2 Immigration has never gotten a vote in the Senate cuz Chucky doesn't want to expose people like Tester, Rosen and Brown. Nor does he want it passed and sent to Biden. Because it will control illegal immigration.

Back to CRA. The Atlantic (not right wing) did a multi piece series on how Frank was highly responsible for the housing crash. And here's some more about Frank, and Dodd who shook his fist at unethical bankers.

https://cei.org/blog/barney-frank-u...ailed-mortgage-giant-bailed-out-by-taxpayers/

But the above isnt a vacuum. The people who got paid big bucks on Fannie & Freddie is a who's who in Wahington insiders. I will say I really like The Big Short as it explains much of the housing crash and i think its pretty fair (especially exposing the credit agencies for their crap work). My only criticism is that it lets the Government and Frank off the hook.

Inflation was the result of Covid and supply shortages. This was and is a worldwide problem. There is no policy democratic or republican that could have prevented the problems Covid created.

True or false. Chump told Johnson and the repubs to not to go through with the border bill that they were fixin to pass.
True or False Biden told Chucky to not bring HR2 to the Senate floor for a vote. You know, the House Immigration bill that was passed on May 11, 2023 - months before the Senate Bill. The one Fetterman has actually recently suggested should get a vote.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/2

I've asked Cap'n Cut-n-Paste what his objections are w/o response. Let me know what you don't like about HR2 - and actual border security bill. There are 27 (IIRC) single line statements of the underlying legislation. Take you 3 minutes to read.

The CRA went through several reauthorizations/amendments that codified the destructive parts. He was around for the latter. He was also the Chairman of the House Banking Committee and basically could block any reforms and changes and prevent them from getting out of committee. He was Fannie & Freddie's godfather (see below). It's how basically Madigan ruled Illinois for 40 years. No bill got to the floor without him getting paid. Its why HR 2 Immigration has never gotten a vote in the Senate cuz Chucky doesn't want to expose people like Tester, Rosen and Brown. Nor does he want it passed and sent to Biden. Because it will control illegal immigration.

Back to CRA. The Atlantic (not right wing) did a multi piece series on how Frank was highly responsible for the housing crash. And here's some more about Frank, and Dodd who shook his fist at unethical bankers.

https://cei.org/blog/barney-frank-u...ailed-mortgage-giant-bailed-out-by-taxpayers/

But the above isnt a vacuum. The people who got paid big bucks on Fannie & Freddie is a who's who in Wahington insiders. I will say I really like The Big Short as it explains much of the housing crash and i think its pretty fair (especially exposing the credit agencies for their crap work). My only criticism is that it lets the Government and Frank off the hook.
Cool, sounds like we're in agreement that it took screw-ups (and/or kowtowing to donors) by both parties for 2008 to happen. Thus, it makes no sense to argue that it's the fault of one party over the other. Even those Republican-backed laws I mentioned from the 90s were signed by Clinton. Perhaps one part of an overhaul of government would be to ban private contributions to campaigns and publicly-finance the things. But, we both know it's extremely unlikely the politicians would give up their income sources like that. It'd also require SCOTUS to backtrack on the idea that money=speech.

Again, all frosting, no cake. Regardless of the lib narrative that Trump said no, there was NO way that Bill was passing with all the poison in it. You are too smart not to know that, but you love the lefty narratives more no matter how far fetched. You can't get enough of them.

Inflation was the result of Covid and supply shortages. This was and is a worldwide problem. There is no policy democratic or republican that could have prevented the problems Covid created.

That is a simplistic narrative. We are a long way past COVID and now 19% inflation. Logically COVID was part of inflation, but early on.

But 2&3 years now after COVID, no longer the reason. So either you don't understand the drivers of inflation, or you are extremely gullible to the lefty COVID narrative of inflation or maybe......BOTH?

Specifically, what Republicans would have done to curb inflation besides NOT passing the "inflation reduction act" which was not only NOT about inflation, but actually added to the problem by putting unneeded $ in the system at the wrong time......is to take the Dem regulatory costs and executive orders off energy that have been the #1 driver of inflationary cost of producing and moving products these past 2 years. Most thoughtful people understand this to be true, and tops the list (in poling) of several reasons Biden popularity is at a 75 year record low.

Obama didn't do chit while in office other than totally divide this country to a place of no return.
So, how did the unemployment go from 9% down to 4.5%? How was there positive job growth 7 out 8 years of Obama? How did the auto industry was able to be profitable? How did Wall Street Dow index go from 8,000 to 20,000. How did the housing industry get back on track? How did millions of people without healthcare get healthcare? Just to name a few.

• Haha

Get this stuff off the site. I come here to see Purdue sports info, not a political message. thank you

So, how did the unemployment go from 9% down to 4.5%? How was there positive job growth 7 out 8 years of Obama? How did the auto industry was able to be profitable? How did Wall Street Dow index go from 8,000 to 20,000. How did the housing industry get back on track? How did millions of people without healthcare get healthcare? Just to name a few.

Sure some of that was from Obama who spent a RECORD deficit spending @ the time to get SOME of that done.......BUT I cannot remember how many times your stock market narrative on Obama has been totally refuted on here (even with leftist media sources)......yet still you list it. LOL

Still, he was an extremely divisive President and exacerbated the decisiveness about the police as just one example. Which was what the poster above was addressing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT