ADVERTISEMENT

iPhone question

BoilerTurf

Sophomore
Sep 3, 2001
I have a 12 year old daughter. Due to our work schedules, I wanted her to have a phone so that she could call or text us after school, etc.

Recognizing that she is spending too much time on her phone (non phone and text) we incorporated use of her phone with her daily chores. If she doesn't do enough chores in a week she loses some privileges - like use of her iPhone.

But I hate it when she doesn't have access to her phone when I need to contact her.

Has anybody worked out a good iPhone restriction set-up that only allows phone and text while blocking apps, internet, etc?

In App Store search for "screen time control" - there are a bunch. Also, there is also an app called Covenent Eyes (I have never used this, but it was recommended by a church I went to). You can use it to only allow websites with a certain rating, and any website visited will be logged and can be sent to you automatically to monitor what they are viewing.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

A plan where you restrict whom she can text or call might have been a solution. Call your provider and see if they can setup something called a white list where she's only allowed to call or text a certain set of other people. Calls and text to everyone else are blocked. Even if you don't actually carry it out now, if it's an option, it can be used as a "threat" if she misuses the phone.

Purchase a cheap GoPhone for $15 with the $25/quarter service fee. The cheapest one is a simple flip phone that can place and receive calls and send texts using a number pad (i.e. really annoying to send text). Cut off access to the iPhone when she doesn't do her chores.

Not directly on point, but to save some $'s cut off cell and data coverage to the iPhone so it can only use WiFi. Use free text and phone apps that can be used with WiFi (Text Now, etc). Assuming you have WiFi at home, school, etc. she'll only lose internet funcationality, texting, calling with the iPhone when she doesn't get a WiFi signal. You can still cuff off access to the iPhone when she doesn't do her chores and she'll be stuck using the less-than-cool flip phone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT