ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Stat

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
I saw on the official Purdue Basketball Twitter account that Vince Edwards became the fifth freshman EVER to have at least 14 points, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists in an NCAA Tournament game when did that vs. Cincinnati.

The other four freshmen to reach or eclipse those scoring, rebounding, and assist numbers in a tourney game were Derrick Rose (Memphis in '08), Jameer Nelson (St. Joseph's in '01), Kenny Anderson (Georgia Tech in 1990), and Gene Banks (Duke in 1978). All of those guys went on to play in the NBA and while I'm unsure about Banks, I know that Rose, Nelson, and Anderson were all starting PG's.

If that's not a good omen, I'm not sure what would be.

With the exception of the scoring guard Russell at Ohio State, there is not a freshmen in the Big Ten I'd rather have than Vince. His versatility is his strongest asset. He can score inside or out, driving or shooting 3's. He is a good and will become a great rebounder (if that's what we need from him depending on the position he plays). He plays very solid defense.

I would be rather surprised if he isn't, at least, 2nd team all-Big Ten his junior and senior year.

Wow. That's really good company (though I wouldn't naturally put Vince in that list). Just shows what a nice mismatch he is against the typical college 4.

Melo Trimble, the PG at Maryland, is pretty damn good. Think what Purdue would look like with him at PG next season.

Originally posted by SDBoiler1:

Melo Trimble, the PG at Maryland, is pretty damn good. Think what Purdue would look like with him at PG next season.
This. Extremely talented freshman. That said, Edwards is a talent, and probably the guy I am most excited about on our roster. He should be really good for 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT