ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today, it's the regular season finale for the Purdue Boilermakers as they host the Indiana Hoosiers in Mackey Arena. Scheduled tip coming up at 2:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on ESPN.

These two teams appear headed in opposite directions. Indiana has lost four straight and is 12-13 (7-11 in conference), in 10th place, while Purdue has won four straight and is surging at 17-8 (12-6 in conference), in 4th place. A win for the Boilers would assure them of at least the 4-seed (and double bye) in the upcoming Big Ten Tournament next week. They would also have a shot at the 3-seed, but they would need help from Wisconsin to defeat Iowa this weekend. Purdue has also won eight straight against Indiana in the series between them, including winning earlier this year, 81-69 in Bloomington back on January 14.

However, this is a big rivalry game, and what else needs to be said. If Indiana has any post-season hopes, they would need to start today and put together a big effort. They are definitely capable as Indiana has defeated Iowa twice and been competitive in most of their other contests. Trayce Jackson-Davis is a likely first team Big Ten player, averaging 19.4 points (4th) and 9.2 rebounds (2nd) per game and will be a focal point for Indiana. I expect Purdue to look to neutralize him as much as possible with Trevion Williams, Zach Edey, and perhaps Mason Gillis at times, but TJD is likely to still be a force. If the Boilers avoid foul trouble, that will help immensely. If Indiana can get some production from the backcourt and wings, that would open up more opportunities for Davis and Race Thompson, if Thompson is available. His availability is expected to be a game-time decision. And if Armaan Franklin continues to be out with his foot/ankle injury, the task gets a little tougher - Al Durham and Rob Phinisee would likely have to pick up some of the slack.F

For the Boilers, this game is huge, to continue the momentum, perhaps getting a better position and extra day of rest for the BTT, and to continue bolstering its position for the NCAA Tournament. If Purdue executes the game plan and limits the careless mistakes, they should be in good shape, but Indiana is more than capable to make this game a very good contest and pull off the upset. I expect the Boilers will continue to try and work inside out with Trevion Williams, and they'll need to be a little patient. Brandon Newman has been a little quiet the last few outings....I look for him to bounce back with a spark from the bench. Jaden Ivey has started to settle in to his role on offense and that should pay some dividends if he continues to make the right decisions. Aaron Wheeler has also had a good stretch of games - if Purdue gets more production from him like against Wisconsin, that would be a very good sign. All in all, it's a similar formula for the Boilers - limit the second chance opportunities, value each possession, and knock down the good shots. If they do that, and stay out of foul trouble, I really like their chances. And they can't afford to underestimate their opponent today....they really need to exceed the energy today, as I expect Indiana to give them their best shot.

Can the Boilers keep things rolling? We shall see, starting in an hour or so....

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today, it's the regular season finale for the Purdue Boilermakers as they host the Indiana Hoosiers in Mackey Arena. Scheduled tip coming up at 2:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on ESPN.

These two teams appear headed in opposite directions. Indiana has lost four straight and is 12-13 (7-11 in conference), in 10th place, while Purdue has won four straight and is surging at 17-8 (12-6 in conference), in 4th place. A win for the Boilers would assure them of at least the 4-seed (and double bye) in the upcoming Big Ten Tournament next week. They would also have a shot at the 3-seed, but they would need help from Wisconsin to defeat Iowa this weekend. Purdue has also won eight straight against Indiana in the series between them, including winning earlier this year, 81-69 in Bloomington back on January 14.

However, this is a big rivalry game, and what else needs to be said. If Indiana has any post-season hopes, they would need to start today and put together a big effort. They are definitely capable as Indiana has defeated Iowa twice and been competitive in most of their other contests. Trayce Jackson-Davis is a likely first team Big Ten player, averaging 19.4 points (4th) and 9.2 rebounds (2nd) per game and will be a focal point for Indiana. I expect Purdue to look to neutralize him as much as possible with Trevion Williams, Zach Edey, and perhaps Mason Gillis at times, but TJD is likely to still be a force. If the Boilers avoid foul trouble, that will help immensely. If Indiana can get some production from the backcourt and wings, that would open up more opportunities for Davis and Race Thompson, if Thompson is available. His availability is expected to be a game-time decision. And if Armaan Franklin continues to be out with his foot/ankle injury, the task gets a little tougher - Al Durham and Rob Phinisee would likely have to pick up some of the slack.F

For the Boilers, this game is huge, to continue the momentum, perhaps getting a better position and extra day of rest for the BTT, and to continue bolstering its position for the NCAA Tournament. If Purdue executes the game plan and limits the careless mistakes, they should be in good shape, but Indiana is more than capable to make this game a very good contest and pull off the upset. I expect the Boilers will continue to try and work inside out with Trevion Williams, and they'll need to be a little patient. Brandon Newman has been a little quiet the last few outings....I look for him to bounce back with a spark from the bench. Jaden Ivey has started to settle in to his role on offense and that should pay some dividends if he continues to make the right decisions. Aaron Wheeler has also had a good stretch of games - if Purdue gets more production from him like against Wisconsin, that would be a very good sign. All in all, it's a similar formula for the Boilers - limit the second chance opportunities, value each possession, and knock down the good shots. If they do that, and stay out of foul trouble, I really like their chances. And they can't afford to underestimate their opponent today....they really need to exceed the energy today, as I expect Indiana to give them their best shot.

Can the Boilers keep things rolling? We shall see, starting in an hour or so....

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i
Ready on the beach in Fla!

Better lace'em up today. IU will give us their best game, and they are capable.

BTFU! POTFH!

Thoughts and prayers to Ethan Morton family. Not with the team today.....death in the family??? Did I hear that correctly?

Transferred, obviously

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i
We must be saving Archie’s job.
Looks like a double on ball side with Jadens man and bringing race if shooter is on ball side. Should have scored lob

Reactions: PU pit bull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT