ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana All-Star Week Thread

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Making this to keep track of all the future Boilermakers and targets representing Indiana this week.

Jordyn Poole kicked things off with a stellar performance as the Indiana juniors defeated Kentucky juniors.

*Updated from previous post* She finished with 19 points on 8-17 shooting, 10 rebounds four assists and two steals.

Casey held down the fort today while I was covering Purdue football camp. I’ll be at Cathedral on Wednesday to cover the JR vs. SR game.

How did the 23 commits do?
Had a couple of off nights. Jones was 2-10 with 4 points but had a game-high 8 assists.

Layden was 0-3 and just one point off of a free throw. Did finish with 6 rebounds though,

Wrote about them more on this article:

An update for Saturday: It appears Rashunda Jones will not suit up for the Indiana All-Stars as she attends her high school graduation. Working to get that confirmed.

Reactions: DocRon
not knocking Ms. Jones at all (graduation is a big deal, obviously), but overall the IN/KY series has significantly declined in recent years, at least in prestige. I think the IN kids still value the honor but the national circuit has definitely overtaken it. Kentucky, esp the boys side, hasn't valued it nearly as much

It’s a glorified scrimmage. A ton of kids have skipped it in the past. Honestly - why risk injury (and potentially lose out on major $$$) for a meaningless scrimmage? I’m sure many more high level kids will skip in the future with NIL money to lose.

Another tough night for a pair of incoming Purdue freshmen and the Indiana All-Stars.

Rashunda Jones was 4-15 from the field, but did have three assists and five rebounds on the night.

McKenna Layden played just five minutes in Owensboro. Important to note, she is coming off her tennis season, so she hasn’t played basketball consistently for awhile leading up to All-Star week.

Another tough night for a pair of incoming Purdue freshmen and the Indiana All-Stars.

Rashunda Jones was 4-15 from the field, but did have three assists and five rebounds on the night.

McKenna Layden played just five minutes in Owensboro. Important to note, she is coming off her tennis season, so she hasn’t played basketball consistently for awhile leading up to All-Star week.

In all respect Dub, didn’t the one girl from KY just play in the KY softball state finals game this morning? And she went for 18 points & 12 boards? I’m unsure of your reference to Layden’s tennis season ending but I really don’t see what her role will be at Purdue.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
In all respect Dub, didn’t the one girl from KY just play in the KY softball state finals game this morning? And she went for 18 points & 12 boards? I’m unsure of your reference to Layden’s tennis season ending but I really don’t see what her role will be at Purdue.

She has always looked to fill the role of a 6’2 versatile wing that has a good outside shot. She scored over 1500 pts the last 4 years - she’s skilled. You don’t across many 6’2 kids who can shoot like that. She will need to work on her physical presence at the next level, getting into the weight room and becoming stronger but she has showed scouts playing aau that there is a reason why she was regarded as a unanimous top 5 kid in the state. I think it was more on potential than anything else. She hasn’t come close to reaching that potential - I don’t expect a lot from her this upcoming season - but we wont need it - but if she can develop physically I think she can thrive in KG’s perimeter shooting offensive style.

Last edited:
She has always looked to fill the role of a 6’2 versatile wing that has a good outside shot. She scored over 1500 pts the last 4 years - she’s skilled. You don’t across many 6’2 kids who can shoot like that. She will need to work on her physical presence at the next level, getting into the weight room and becoming stronger but she has showed scouts playing aau that there is a reason why she was regarded as a unanimous top 5 kid in the state. I think it was more on potential than anything else. She hasn’t come close to reaching that potential - I don’t expect a lot from her this upcoming season - but we wont need it - but if she can develop physically I think she can thrive in KG’s perimeter shooting offensive style.
If she was a unanimous top 5 kid I’m more curious why an All-Star coach didn’t see that potential and play her more than 3 minutes in an all-star game? Was researching about her on Twitter and appears she only had one big ten offer (Purdue), with IUPUI being her only other one. So now I’m curious as to what she “showed all these scouts” you refer to, when no other big ten or power 5 schools even offered her? Guess we will see what she can bring but I do agree with you that she has to get stronger physically and develop quickness and move much better. It’s obvious there are many greatly skilled shooters in the big ten who are tall. She has to be able to provide something more than that in my opinion. Maybe a candidate for a RS year?

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
If she was a unanimous top 5 kid I’m more curious why an All-Star coach didn’t see that potential and play her more than 3 minutes in an all-star game? Was researching about her on Twitter and appears she only had one big ten offer (Purdue), with IUPUI being her only other one. So now I’m curious as to what she “showed all these scouts” you refer to, when no other big ten or power 5 schools even offered her? Guess we will see what she can bring but I do agree with you that she has to get stronger physically and develop quickness and move much better. It’s obvious there are many greatly skilled shooters in the big ten who are tall. She has to be able to provide something more than that in my opinion. Maybe a candidate for a RS year?

She committed as a sophomore - I think it was a foregone conclusion to all at hand that once Purdue offered she was gone. She has been listed for a while now with many scouting sites, that have watched all the players across the state, to be a top 5 player. 1 meaningless all-star scrimmage is not going to change any of that. Her game right now offensively is much more of a spot up shooter - relying on guards that pass the ball and play within a system. She is not a 1-on-1 player who can break someone down and create for herself. Those type of players don’t do well in an all star game type of environment. Thankfully college is not like that. You want highlights if her game going up against some some of the top talent nationally at a high level AAU tournament? Here ya go. Skill wise she has the potential to be a great shooter/rebounder from the perimeter. I think she’s more athletic than Madison.

Last edited:
Obviously this person has something against the Layden family. Lol. His criticisms of Madison Layden were over the top all last season.

Just providing a reason as to why she could be seeing less minutes in these games.

Another absence today: Kira Reynolds will not be playing in the Futures Game as she tends to a family issue.

She committed as a sophomore - I think it was a foregone conclusion to all at hand that once Purdue offered she was gone. She has been listed for a while now with many scouting sites, that have watched all the players across the state, to be a top 5 player. 1 meaningless all-star scrimmage is not going to change any of that. You want highlights if her game going up against some some of the top talent nationally at a high level AAU tournament? Here ya go. Skill wise she has the potential to be a great shooter/rebounder from the perimeter. I think she’s more athletic than Madison.

You seem to know a lot about her. This clip is promising. Just still wonder why the all star coaches didn’t see the same potential. Time will tell. I do agree she needs to get stronger and quicker. But she has a nice shot.
Obviously this person has something against the Layden family. Lol. His criticisms of Madison Layden were over the top all last season.

Reactions: DocRon
You seem to know a lot about her. This clip is promising. Just still wonder why the all star coaches didn’t see the same potential. Time will tell. I do agree she needs to get stronger and quicker. But she has a nice shot.
Over the top? Come on Russ, I saw PLENTY of criticisms about Layden this past season, with people actually calling her names on here and referring to her as a “sloth” and “92 year old woman.” I never said anything disrespectful nor would I. That’s not my thing. I’ll leave that to others. My reviews of her ability and lack of production are shared by many. With all the chatter about this freshman/transfer class, of course people are going to be watching them. Reynolds didn’t play, Jones started and contributed both games, Layden didn’t. That’s factual. You however, seem to have an issue with anyone who asks or says anything about this family. That makes me wonder. Doesn’t change the fact that she didn’t contribute in her all star game and as MANY Have referred to, Madison didn’t produce the last couple years. It is what it is. She has a really nice shot from those clips but lacks speed and quickness. But call me over the top.🤣

Will have more following the game, but an update from Indy.

Poole has been more measured in her offensive approach today. She has 7 points on four field goal attempts thus far, but has shined defensively. She’s locked up two Power 5 commits.

Poole is an ideal point guard to compliment the likes of player like Layden. The drive and dish component Poole has will enable with Layden, or any strong perimeter shooter, to shine. Building a team consists of different players with different strong suits that, in all, come together to make a team.

Some other names to monitor who played in Saturday’s matchup:

Juliann Woodard:

Woodard is someone who could earn an offer from the Boilermakers in the class of 2024. She does project as a four, which is pretty loaded for Purdue and may deter that from happening.

She is a stretch four that is pretty athletic and can knock down the three. She was just 1-6 from behind the arc today, but has had success there in the past.

She also has a knack for finding the ball off the glass, grabbing four offensive rebounds that led to a put back for her. Woodard finished with 12 points and 9 rebounds.

Maya Makalusky:

2025 wing and Hamilton Southeastern product Maya Makausky already holds an offer from the Boilermakers.

She fits a similar mold to McKenna and Madison Layden, longer wings with the ability to shoot the three well. She had a game-high 15 points on 5-12 shooting and three rebounds. She also did a great job of finishing through contact when driving.

Lillian Barnes:

A freshman to-be in 2023-24, Barnes was one of the youngest participants in Saturday’s game, but has an offer from the coaching staff already.

She was just 1-4 from the field, but pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds for the North. At 5’11”, she would project as a bigger guard or smaller three for Purdue.

Obviously, her game will evolve as she gets older but she will be among the top players in the state when she graduates.

Some other names to monitor who played in Saturday’s matchup:

Juliann Woodard:

Woodard is someone who could earn an offer from the Boilermakers in the class of 2024. She does project as a four, which is pretty loaded for Purdue and may deter that from happening.

She is a stretch four that is pretty athletic and can knock down the three. She was just 1-6 from behind the arc today, but has had success there in the past.

She also has a knack for finding the ball off the glass, grabbing four offensive rebounds that led to a put back for her. Woodard finished with 12 points and 9 rebounds.

Maya Makalusky:

2025 wing and Hamilton Southeastern product Maya Makausky already holds an offer from the Boilermakers.

She fits a similar mold to McKenna and Madison Layden, longer wings with the ability to shoot the three well. She had a game-high 15 points on 5-12 shooting and three rebounds. She also did a great job of finishing through contact when driving.

Lillian Barnes:

A freshman to-be in 2023-24, Barnes was one of the youngest participants in Saturday’s game, but has an offer from the coaching staff already.

She was just 1-4 from the field, but pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds for the North. At 5’11”, she would project as a bigger guard or smaller three for Purdue.

Obviously, her game will evolve as she gets older but she will be among the top players in the state when she graduates.
In my opinion - the only reason Woodard doesn’t have an offer is because Puryear committed - very similar players even though Woodard has a bit more diversified skillset - Puryear has the power element that will help her excel in the B10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT