ADVERTISEMENT

Illini oh my!!!

Wild what UCONN just did. Didn’t understand why Illinois was attacking Clingan at the rim. They did better when they drew him away and neutralized him.

I think if you’re Painter and crew you share a message from this game - this isn’t boxing or MMA, no tap outs. Go for the jugular and don’t let up for 40 minutes.
this ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin around

Last edited:
I didn’t think UConn looked that great. Even game at the half. Neither team could make a shot. Then Illinois missed like 20 straight shots. Most were wide open. Then they gave up and UConn beat them down the floor for layups.
at first I thought their fans were taunting TSJ but then realized they were just chanting their schools name

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Wild what UCONN just did. Didn’t understand why Illinois was attacking Clingan at the rim. They did better when they drew him away and neutralized him.

I think if you’re Painter and crew you share a message from this game - this isn’t boxing or MMA, no tap outs. Go for the jugular and don’t let up for 40 minutes.
Worst coaching job/strategy in the tournament that I’ve seen. Horrible game and play by Illini.

Worst coaching job/strategy in the tournament that I’ve seen. Horrible game and play by Illini.
Agree. They seemed to have found something with going ISO with Domask on Diarra and Newton. UCONN did a good job countering by putting Karaban on Domask. When Illinois had Ty back out there to start the second, that was really confusing.

Anyways, hats off to Illinois. They had a solid season. They got the monkey off their back after coming up with disappointing tourneys.

Brad Underwood’s strategy to go at Clingan was a mistake. He continued to try and attack the big man with no other strategy. Way to go Brad, on the biggest stage, as you looked foolish as your team got destroyed.

So glad Painter is our coach instead of a guy like Underwood.
I really like Underwood. Good coach, nice guy. But he did exactly what you said. And his team played not dumb, but stupid.

So I'm stuck at work late tonight. My co-worker and a customer and I were chatting about college basketball, and an old guy I've never seen before comes around the corner. He says, "Illinois got ****ED!!" I calmly said, "that depends on what you mean by that word sir." And he goes on to blame the refs, "They never called nothing!" I said, "They lost by 30." He comes back with, "You've obviously never coached."

Well yes, you're right, I've never coached.

• Wow
Reactions: Do Dah Day
I hate to even go there with a game against a tough Tennessee team tomorrow, but I think that Purdue can give that UConn D a lot more trouble than Illinois did. Clingan is great, but Edey is much stronger and is the type of player that can take it right to him.
I said this exact comment... to my dog. My wife wasn't home! But YES - I agree

So I'm stuck at work late tonight. My co-worker and a customer and I were chatting about college basketball, and an old guy I've never seen before comes around the corner. He says, "Illinois got ****ED!!" I calmly said, "that depends on what you mean by that word sir." And he goes on to blame the refs, "They never called nothing!" I said, "They lost by 30." He comes back with, "You've obviously never coached."

Well yes, you're right, I've never coached
One of the standard comments in a coaches dictionary is:
DO NOT put us in a position for a bad call to beat us.

Yeah - very very slim margin for error for the handful of teams that could compete with them......actually thought Illinois was one of them.

Different teams/different eras, but the closest I've seen in a while to Tarkanian's UNLV Rebels when they get going downhill.....can just overwhelm a team all over the court.
I was thinking of UNLV as well. Totally different makeup, but just a total buzzsaw.

UCONN has been beaten so they are beatable. But they are executing at another level right now. As we well know it just takes one game to get knocked off that perch though.

The ILL game vs UConn is the exact scenario that I fear vs TN. I was stunned by how many missed open looks and layups Illinois had in H2. Was it because of a 2nd game in 3 days?
You can strategize, prepare, gameplan, and practice, as a team and coaching staff but if you cant hit the ocean from the beach......

Of course, you can say the same thing about TN. The way they play aggressive defense (if that is a factor) then we should have the fresher legs.

The ILL game vs UConn is the exact scenario that I fear vs TN. I was stunned by how many missed open looks and layups Illinois had in H2. Was it because of a 2nd game in 3 days?
You can strategize, prepare, gameplan, and practice, as a team and coaching staff but if you cant hit the ocean from the beach......

Of course, you can say the same thing about TN. The way they play aggressive defense (if that is a factor) then we should have the fresher legs.
Watching that game was like watching someone trying to run through a brick wall over and over again without ever stepping back and deciding to try something different, like climb over the wall.

Watching that game was like watching someone trying to run through a brick wall over and over again without ever stepping back and deciding to try something different, like climb over the wall.
sounds like TSJ's play, just drive into the D hoping for a call instead of dishing off to an open shooter

He is very douche-y.
Yeh, he’s not that believable when he says the gracious winner things, and he’s 100% believable when he says the douche-y winner things. And I would like to see someone (preferably us) pop that inflated swagger he puts on. Not saying I hate him; gaining some humility from taking a loss in the tourney will be good for his character. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT