ADVERTISEMENT

If Knecht and Edey each score 25 how do the rest shake out?

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
Who has the advantage if they cancel each other on points scored? I think Purdue starting with Zach guarding the rim.

So far in the tourney, Purdue has been able to share the wealth. Lance, Fletch, and TKR have all had big scoring games. Gillis and Cam have been providing supplemental scoring. Braden is going to do his thing.

I don't know TN well enough, but it feels like we have a lot of weapons and we're clicking at the right time.

So far in the tourney, Purdue has been able to share the wealth. Lance, Fletch, and TKR have all had big scoring games. Gillis and Cam have been providing supplemental scoring. Braden is going to do his thing.

I don't know TN well enough, but it feels like we have a lot of weapons and we're clicking at the right time.
I agree, We have far more weapons and will conquer in that scenario.

Totally agree. Last night. Morton contributed with two fouls. (?) TKR was invisible the first half and starts the second half taking over the game. Gillis was all over the court disrupting Gonzaga’s offense. Smith is an ALL AMERICAN in my opinion and did everything. Loyer attacked the rim and FINISHED better than ever. Heide pitched in. Jones is a pest. Oh, and everyone hit three pointers. If everyone Plays Hard we’re unstoppable.

Last night game for Tennessee Santiago Vescovi didn’t play due to the flu. The game against Purdue in Hawaii he was 0-3 from field and 8-10 from free throw line. I’m hoping he plays on Sunday.. the player that took his minutes played very well against Creighton.
Purdue Basketball always comes down to having the most rebounds, most made free throws and 13 turnovers or less. Purdue is 25-0 this year if that happens. Let’s see if that streak continues or ends.
Last night Edey shot 10 free throws.. the rest of the team shot zero. That needs to change vs Tennessee on Sunday.

The game at Hawaii during November. Purdue shot 29-48 from the free throw line. The refs wont be calling that many fouls on Sunday. Purdue needs to shoot 75% to win vs the Vols.

Last edited:
Last night game for Tennessee Santiago Vescovi didn’t play due to the flu. The game against Purdue in Hawaii he was 0-3 from field and 8-10 from free throw line. I’m hoping he plays on Sunday.. the player that took his minutes played very well against Creighton.
Purdue Basketball always comes down to having the most rebounds, most made free throws and 14 turnovers or less. Purdue is 25-0 this year if that happens. Let’s see if that streak continues or ends.
Last night Edey shot 10 free throws.. the rest of the team shot zero. That needs to change vs Tennessee on Sunday.
Vescovi has had to step aside for Knecht all year. The players who played in his place last night played similar mins in Maui…Maychak had 8 more mins this time around.

We know their physicality and are used to B1G play. Will be interesting how the refs call fouls and that could be the key to the game.

Reactions: tjreese
Vescovi has had to step aside for Knecht all year. The players who played in his place last night played similar mins in Maui…Maychak had 8 more mins this time around.

We know their physicality and are used to B1G play. Will be interesting how the refs call fouls and that could be the key to the game.
They have 2 -6-6 guards and I thought we did OK guarding James with the our 4 but worried about Knecht. Who guards him? He will shoot over Braden and bulldoze loyer. Last game they put Jones on him a lot because Ziegler didn’t start and even brought in first to guard him. Do you put jones on him and let Braden guard Ziegler?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I think Tenn’s PG is gonna make life very difficult for Smith. It’s gonna come down to Loyer, Jones, Gillis, Heide and Colvin staying hot from 3. Outrebound them, limit turnovers, make FTs and we are moving on - easier said than done but this team is rolling right now!

I think Tenn’s PG is gonna make life very difficult for Smith. It’s gonna come down to Loyer, Jones, Gillis, Heide and Colvin staying hot from 3. Outrebound them, limit turnovers, make FTs and we are moving on - easier said than done but this team is rolling right now!
This. Heide and Morton could get some extended minutes to allow jones to stay on Ziegler.

I think they intend to make it difficult for Braden and if successful all those players hitting 3s will find it difficult as well

They have 2 -6-6 guards and I thought we did OK guarding James with the our 4 but worried about Knecht. Who guards him? He will shoot over Braden and bulldoze loyer. Last game they put Jones on him a lot because Ziegler didn’t start and even brought in first to guard him. Do you put jones on him and let Braden guard Ziegler?
Knecht will get his. Just have to stop anyone else from getting theirs and make Knecht work for what he does get.

If we play well on offense, they can't score with us.

It can be huge. I hope it isnt.

Knecht has been off some nights - it’s no guarantee - like Edey- that he gets 20 plus. If those two equal out I think we win by 10.

Reactions: DrEss
This. Heide and Morton could get some extended minutes to allow jones to stay on Ziegler.
I think Painter will go to Morton as a 3rd option on Knecht but then we’re playing 4 on 5 on offense.
Unless Kencht is absolutely being unstoppable, I think it’s Jones and Heide until Painter has seen enough. Hopefully it never gets to that point..

Barnes is already lobbying in presser for less fouls, hope Paint is lobbying back. Here is the problem for Zach on officiating, the refs and even Purdue fans accept some fouls on Zach that would be unacceptable on anyone else. Two examples. Against Gonzaga Zach was called for a foul and Painter and Zach asked the refs to take a look. The replay showed two Gonzaga guys on either side of Zach pinning his arms down as he tried to go for the rebound. He fouled them trying to shake loose. The two announcers watching said nope, normal basketball play. Really? Second example, a few games ago an opposing player was caller for a foul on Furst in the post. In the moment I was surprised. But on replay it showed the opposing player with arms extended pushed Furst hard in the back, easy call. Trouble is that happens to Zach 5-6 times again is maybe called once . We are conditioned that these aren’t fouls when it happens to Zach. Hope the refs aren’t too conditioned tomorrow.

Yep. Braden can handle Ziegler. A dose of Jones/heide/morton on Knecht. He’s gonna get his…hopefully not but probably will. We play our game of hitting 3s and Zach being Zach, we will be in a good spot.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
The keys for UT are Ziegler, Knecht, and Aidoo. Mashak, while being a great defender and rebounder, doesn’t score many points. But he is actually a good shooter and around the rim scorer. If Aidoo plays soft (which he has done lately), they will bring in Awaka, who is much stronger and has better hands, but is only 6’8”, so that would be a major disadvantage against Edey.

Ziegler is the main dude, more so than Knecht. If his turnover/assist ratio is good, and he scores 14-16 points, then any of the other players are good enough to get hit and score. We’ve won games with Knecht scoring 18-20 points, but the others had to step up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT