ADVERTISEMENT

Idea for new Selection Process

BoilerBiker

All-American
Oct 13, 2006
have the committee rank the teams 1-68 (which they already do),
then have the schools select their desired spot like a pro draft style.

e.g. kentucky has 3 minutes on the clock and gets the first pick - they select the region/location they want. then it proceeds down the line with each school getting a couple minutes on the clock and making their choice just like the nba/nfl drafts.
purdue ranked at #36 could choose a 9 seed game, 10 seed, 11 seed, or whatever is still available.

it would help the lower ranked seeds (8+) determine what would really be their best matchup, their preferred location, etc.
specifically thinking about examples of 8/9's like purdue being 'ranked' higher than 10/11 seeds, but sort of feeling penalized by potential tougher matchups, more quickly.

it would provide more control to the schools rather than the subjective committee.
and it would be seemingly great for tv, having a draft style selection process take an afternoon of sunday air time with ranting tv talking heads.
(only have to alter the finals of a few conference tourneys to accommodate - move all to friday night, saturday or something).

just a thought.

Would probably have to figure out how to go in reverse though b/c the 8 should be able to know the 9 they want to pick and play against for example.

Yeah, but it applies everywhere. Shouldn't the 7 get to choose what 10 it plays or the 5 get to choose what 12 it plays based on matchups? And so on...

No, you would only be able to pick the teams in front of you, not behind you.

I would expand the field to 74 and make all the 8/9 games "play in" games, featuring the 16 lowest at large bids. In other words, an at-large 11 seed would be a higher ranked team than any of the 8-9 seeds, all of which would need to play in the first round.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm not sure that is what the OP was envisioning but either way I would rather see the opportunity to pick matchups along with region be the advantage of the higher seed. Matchups are so big in this tournament.

You realize of course that Kentucky's bracket would be empty up until the end?

Lunardi's rep took a hit this year; first time I remember him being this off the path. He's taking the demotion to cardinal well I've heard.

Originally posted by BoilerBiker:
have the committee rank the teams 1-68 (which they already do),
then have the schools select their desired spot like a pro draft style.

e.g. kentucky has 3 minutes on the clock and gets the first pick - they select the region/location they want. then it proceeds down the line with each school getting a couple minutes on the clock and making their choice just like the nba/nfl drafts.
purdue ranked at #36 could choose a 9 seed game, 10 seed, 11 seed, or whatever is still available.

it would help the lower ranked seeds (8+) determine what would really be their best matchup, their preferred location, etc.
specifically thinking about examples of 8/9's like purdue being 'ranked' higher than 10/11 seeds, but sort of feeling penalized by potential tougher matchups, more quickly.

it would provide more control to the schools rather than the subjective committee.
and it would be seemingly great for tv, having a draft style selection process take an afternoon of sunday air time with ranting tv talking heads.
(only have to alter the finals of a few conference tourneys to accommodate - move all to friday night, saturday or something).

just a thought.
Simple solution:

All league winners and all tourney winners. Rank them by SOS and put them in play in pool play one weekend. Then, seed them and let the show begin.

How was Lunardi off? Didn't he just miss two teams & he was not as high on power conf. as committee was? Purdue was on bubble for most of projection sites through beginning of March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT