ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting Hunter Johnson

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
My sense is that Purdue is going to be all in on recruiting Clemson QB transfer Hunter Johnson and have a great chance there. We have independently verified that it is a Purdue-Northwestern deal.

I do think that there are high school quarterbacks that Purdue has wanted, but it has not yet taken one. It might be making too big a jump to suggest correlation there but it does work out well, I suppose, because if Johnson came, he'd essentially be their 2019 QB recruit.

When Jeff Brohm was hired at Purdue, there was some dialogue between him and Johnson and his family. I do think the Johnsons have always had a good opinion of Purdue, but Purdue was so bad when he was being recruited that they had no chance, and to be honest, they needed to offer first and for some reason did not.

Anyway, obviously something to monitor ...

To remind you: Johnson is from Brownsburg and was the No. 2 QB prospect nationally by Rivals.com and the No. 18 overall player, a five-star recruit who committed to Tennessee very early, then switched to Clemson.

The thing with Northwestern, as I recall, might be the tie that comes from his brother Cole having been a walk-on there.

From a depth-chart perspective, transfers always want to play right away, and when Johnson would be eligible, Purdue would have Elijah Sindelar entering his senior year, with Jack Plummer and Nick Sipe being the only other quarterbacks in the program, assuming no transactions at the position.

Johnson will have to sit out this season wherever he lands, then will have three years of eligibility.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News