ADVERTISEMENT

How has the POTUS's and his task force team's effort been poor?

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Seeing a lot of whining about the POTUS and his task force team regarding this virus. Can someone please expound on how their efforts have been so poor?

Seeing a lot of whining about the POTUS and his task force team regarding this virus. Can someone please expound on how their efforts have been so poor?

1) My biggest complaint is speed of implementation and recognition of the threat. That delay is/was foolish.

2) The pure lack of understanding of exponential math will cost us tens of thousands (likely hundreds of thousands of lives). (eg we're at 15 cases and we'll soon be at zero)

3) The fact that we didn't accept tests from the WHO as a bridge left us exposed and vulnerable with no ability to track emerging hot spots and contain.

4) The loss of time to review our strategic stockpiles, acquire supplies (masks/ventilators/etc) put us way behind. That ended up with a situation where 50 governors and the federal government were all bidding against themselves to acquire the necessary supplies.

5) Lack of consistent messaging from the very top. We're quarantine 3 states, hours later we're not. We're opening up the country on Easter, now we're not. This will all just go away, now we're in a war. We're in a war, now we can't let the cure be worst than the virus.

That's a good overview to start with.

Last edited:
1) My biggest complaint is speed of implementation and recognition of the threat. That delay is/was foolish.

2) The pure lack of understanding of exponential math will cost us tens of thousands (likely hundreds of thousands of lives). (eg we're at 15 cases and we'll soon be at zero)

3) The fact that we didn't accept tests from the WHO as a bridge left us exposed and vulnerable with no ability to track emerging hot spots and contain.

4) The loss of time to review our strategic stockpiles, acquire supplies (masks/ventilators/etc) put us way behind. That ended up with a situation where 50 governors and the federal government were all bidding against themselves to acquire the necessary supplies.

5) Lack of consistent messaging from the very top. We're quarantine 3 states, hours later we're not. We're opening up the country on Easter, now we're not. This will all just go away, now we're in a war. We're in a war, now we can't let the cure be worst than the virus.

That's a good overview to start with.

Reality...

Trump is not in touch with it. He calls it a hoax. Within days he says that if we will only lose 100k people because of the great job the administration has done.

His rhetoric has changed a ton. The experts have not changed much.

His rhetoric alone is very important because many in this county take it seriously or not based on his words. He’s the president. He’s been the president for 3 years and this one is on his watch and he can’t blame anyone even though he’s trying.

Reality...

Trump is not in touch with it. He calls it a hoax. Within days he says that if we will only lose 100k people because of the great job the administration has done.

His rhetoric has changed a ton. The experts have not changed much.

His rhetoric alone is very important because many in this county take it seriously or not based on his words. He’s the president. He’s been the president for 3 years and this one is on his watch and he can’t blame anyone even though he’s trying.
For the love of god - he did not call the virus a hoax. Do some research. That one statement discredits everything else you wrote.

For the love of god - he did not call the virus a hoax. Do some research. That one statement discredits everything else you wrote.

Of course it does in your bubble. Stop asking questions if you think you already know the answer.

Even if he is backtracking the comment, a second grader could infer his lack of seriousness of the issue. The fact that he made the comment at an f'in rally that shouldn't have been held at that point is enough proof to show it was all about people "trying to get him" at that point. He needs to get over himself (spoiler alert: not going to happen).

Last edited:
Of course it does in your bubble. Stop asking questions if you think you already know the answer.

Even if he is backtracking the comment, a second grader could infer his lack of seriousness of the issue. The fact that he made the comment at an f'in rally that shouldn't have been held at that point is enough proof to show it was all about people "trying to get him" at that point. He needs to get over himself (spoiler alert: not going to happen).
What do they say about those who make false claims in an attempt to persuade others? From Snopes:

What's True
During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax."

What's False
Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

What do they say about those who make false claims in an attempt to persuade others? From Snopes:

What's True
During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax."

What's False
Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

Except the criticism was deserved! The fact that Trump was calling the criticism a hoax just PROVES how inept he is/has been.

So we can point to that one statement as just how out of touch he was/has been with responding to this pandemic. He never cared about tackling the problem. He cared about spinning it to his supporters for political gain.

He cost American's their lives. He cost us the economy. And you puppets help him move the goal posts time and time again. Stop being a puppet and hold the man accountable for his failures.

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcript...th-carolina-rally-transcript-february-28-2020
Read the full transcript of the Feb. 28 speech. In Trump's mind practically anything Democrats do/say politicizes his "great jobs" or his abject failures (you may decide which have occurred more often). So, no, Trump did not say the COVID-19 was a hoax. How could he have when, in the same speech, he admitted there were 15 people in the U.S. with the virus. If it were a hoax, the number would have been zero. The real hoax he pulled was, in the same speech, saying ". . . we are totally prepared." Doesn't seem like it a month later.

Reactions: indy35

What's True

What's False

So was every comment he made that minimized the issue taken out of context? I don't disagree with the fact that was misconstrued, but his 15 cases down to 0 wasn't, or was he talking about beer cases?

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcript...th-carolina-rally-transcript-february-28-2020
Read the full transcript of the Feb. 28 speech. In Trump's mind practically anything Democrats do/say politicizes his "great jobs" or his abject failures (you may decide which have occurred more often). So, no, Trump did not say the COVID-19 was a hoax. How could he have when, in the same speech, he admitted there were 15 people in the U.S. with the virus. If it were a hoax, the number would have been zero. The real hoax he pulled was, in the same speech, saying ". . . we are totally prepared." Doesn't seem like it a month later.
That’s where hunk’s missing the connection. He’s trying to say the hoax claim and all the rest of “it’ll soon be 0 cases, the flu is worse” is not connected at all.
Trump called it a hoax because he didn’t like the criticism he was getting and was trying to downplay the severity of the illness. Right wing media helped him along with that.

My complaints (and I have a few things I think they've done well, but you asked for negatives):

- European travel ban was a good idea poorly executed - gave effectively three days warning, arbitrarily did not include the UK, did not restrict US citizens even though it should have.
- Trump's demeanor and communication of opinions and "facts" contrary to what his own team is saying.
- Trump attacking elected representatives and governors to protect his own ego.
- Trump's personal minimization of the pandemic early on; rather than admitting that he doesn't know, his team is analyzing, etc., and showing a bit of humility, it quickly became about him, and that has caused a number of people - largely people who hang on his words - to also minimize the pandemic and act (or not act) accordingly. That's not leadership.

That's been my issue with Trump all along: good leaders don't make things about themselves. Good leaders rise above this stuff rather than wallowing in it, especially in times of crisis. Trump would be better served to ignore the political sniping from Democrats and reporters and focus on the issues rather than even engaging. He's got a great opportunity to "be the bigger man", but he can't help himself - he never can. He follows others down into the swamp, rather than leading people out of it.

I recall an instance in Obama's time where he engaged a Republican who called him a liar in open chamber and said, "You don't like it? Win some elections." That knocked Obama down a peg in my eyes because there was no need for that, and that's not what leaders do.

Reactions: BleedinGold
My complaints (and I have a few things I think they've done well, but you asked for negatives):

- European travel ban was a good idea poorly executed - gave effectively three days warning, arbitrarily did not include the UK, did not restrict US citizens even though it should have.
- Trump's demeanor and communication of opinions and "facts" contrary to what his own team is saying.
- Trump's personal minimization of the pandemic early on; rather than admitting that he doesn't know, his team is analyzing, etc., and showing a bit of humility, it quickly became about him, and that has caused a number of people - largely people who hang on his words - to also minimize the pandemic and act (or not act) accordingly. That's not leadership.

That's been my issue with Trump all along: good leaders don't make things about themselves. Good leaders rise above this stuff rather than wallowing in it, especially in times of crisis. Trump would be better served to ignore the political sniping from Democrats and reporters and focus on the issues rather than even engaging. He's got a great opportunity to "be the bigger man", but he can't help himself - he never can. He follows others down into the swamp, rather than leading people out of it.

I recall an instance in Obama's time where he engaged a Republican who called him a liar in open chamber and said, "You don't like it? Win some elections." That knocked Obama down a peg in my eyes because there was no need for that, and that's not what leaders do.

Well said on all points. And the Obama comment was ridiculous.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” Barack Obama to Eric Cantor on January 23, 2009.

That one can get used both ways.

Reactions: herrli
“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” Barack Obama to Eric Cantor on January 23, 2009.

That one can get used both ways.
Yeah, and it shouldn't get used at all by a sitting President/"Leader of the Free World." Thing is, Obama did that a handful of times. Trump does it a handful of times every day.

Reactions: BleedinGold

What's True

What's False
Snopes' breakdown is as good as any I've seen.
At the very least, at that rally in question, the WORD "hoax" had no business being used in any context.
Given how far down the road we are with this crisis......it's now utterly inconsequential.

there was a context to this quote. Note the date of the quote. Obama had literally just taken over and debates about a much needed stimulus package was ongoing. We had just come of 3 straight months of record unemployment, with disaster looming.

It was basically republicans arguing that stimulus package being debated at the time should go entirely their way. They were the minority party both in the House and in the Senate yet wanted to literally force all of the stimulus to be tax cuts (which every economic expert said were less effective). And this was after democrats had compromised, and included tax cuts in the bill. But that wasn't enough for them. In the end only 3 republican senators still voted for the bill. Democrats would have been better off not even engaging. The republicans at the time did not negotiate in good faith at all ( am I am not being partisan in saying this). It was a weird negotiation where the minority party rather than engage and at least making sure their key initiatives make it to the final bill, they insisted on having their way 100%. To which Obama, replied "Elections have consequences..."

There's a reason I praise them this time around for at least coming around to pass a stimulus bill and doing what's economically necessary. And they didn't include stupid tax cuts ideas.

there was a context to this quote. It was basically republicans arguing that stimulus package being debated at the time should go entirely their way. They were the minority party yet wanted to literally force all of the stimulus to be tax cuts (which every economic expert said were less effective). And this was after democrats had compromised, and included tax cuts in the bill. But that wasn't enough. In the end only 3 republican senators still voted for the bill. Democrats would have been better off not even engaging. The republicans at the time did not negotiate in good faith at all. It was a weird negotiation where the minority party rather than engage insisted on having their way 100%. To which Obama, replied "Elections have consequences..."

There's a reason I praise them this time around for at least coming around to pass a stimulus bill and doing what's economically necessary.
Excellent summarization.
The backdrop to the great deal of difficulty in negotiating the 2009 Stimulus Package, was the meeting of GOP lawmakers WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE OBAMA INAUGURATION, in which they swore a blood oath that he would be a 1-term President. That set a tone that the Tea Party branch of the Republican Party would embrace for some time.

You’ll defend him on anything!
On the contrary. I defend him when he's been unfairly criticized. Call him arrogant, insecure, and bloviating? You'll never see me defend him to those accusations. I can't stand the daily briefings - except for when someone else is speaking. I personally can't stand the guy. But you know what - I despise Hillary freakin' Clinton. And you know what else - the dems had 3 years to get a candidate together that could beat him. Shouldn't be that hard, right? And who they pick to go against him? Effin Joe Effin Biden? Are you kidding me? Get your shi# together dems.

Last edited:
He kept referring to it as the Chinese virus.

He compared coronavirus to the seasonal flu and car crashes.

He flaunted guidelines by crowding as many people as he could into the background of his early virus press conferences and was still shaking hands constantly.

He suggested a miracle cure that is still largely untested and has led to at least 1 death.

He has at many points exaggerated testing numbers and availability.

He insinuated state funding is tied to how grateful state governors are to receive that aid.

He joked about a member of his own political party being in quarantine (one with a wife who is at high risk).

He has attacked the media for quoting HIS OWN WORDS and asking for clarification.

He has constantly taken time to praise himself and his TV ratings.

He claimed doctors and nurses are stockpiling masks and that hospitals are demanding ventilators they don't actually need.

Realistically it would take less time to point out things he has done right than things he has royally screwed up.

Governor Holcomb was a little slow to officially issue his shelter in place order, but aside from that he has done as well as can be expected. Many Republicans have in this crisis. Trump is not one of them, and thinking he has been is either battered spouse/kicked dog syndrome or a complete lack of reasoning.

He cost American's their lives. He cost us the economy. And you puppets help him move the goal posts time and time again. Stop being a puppet and hold the man accountable for his failures.

In your opinion has Governor Cuomo cost Americans their lives? Please explain your "yes" or "no" answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGunner
He kept referring to it as the Chinese virus
Most of your post I agree with; this one isn't as bad as many think and I think it was a strategic play that maybe the layperson doesn't quite understand. The CCP's center of gravity internally is the perception of control. The Chinese were very savvy in their pivot from internal damage control to external assistance and positioning themselves as the global leader in pandemic response. Now, they've botched it with ineffective tests, defective PPE, etc., but there is no question they are attempting the quick pivot from "Ground Zero" to "Response Leader". Reminding people where this thing started and where the response was first botched isn't a bad strategic play... but just like everything else Trump does, it was completely ham-handed.

I saw an interview with Jeh Johnson indicating the following -
-In 2017 on entering office the Trump team was advised of the reasonable possibilty of pandemics emanating from China.
-They were, particularly based upon Ebola history, given significant information about recognizing such, potential defensive measures as well as a staff in place aware of the available mechanics and techniques to pursue in combatting such.
-They disbanded the operation (and apparently disregarded any information).
In a different interview with one of the medical people who had been on that team, she indicated that virtually every Trump staffer and aide with whom they had met and discussed the matter was gone from the Administration within a matter of months.

Neither I, nor anyone else knows what the outcome might have been with changes mentioned in this thread, better or worse. However, it is crystal clear to me that the response has been far from "perfect" and the refusal of this President to accept that simple fact is simply appalling.

In your opinion has Governor Cuomo cost Americans their lives? Please explain your "yes" or "no" answer.

No. He isn't the President and wasn't responsible for leading our national response.

He doesn't oversee the CDC. He didn't lead the administration that turned down tests from the WHO that could have helped contained this virus.

He didn't get on tv the entire month of February and early March and repeatedly downplay what was happening.

He didn't have access to the briefings from our national intelligence agencies that warned the administration of what we were facing.

I could go on, but really what's the point. You are likely to want to shift the blame to anyone but the President.

Reactions: doubleyous
No. He isn't the President and wasn't responsible for leading our national response.

He doesn't oversee the CDC. He didn't lead the administration that turned down tests from the WHO that could have helped contained this virus.

He didn't get on tv the entire month of February and early March and repeatedly downplay what was happening.

He didn't have access to the briefings from our national intelligence agencies that warned the administration of what we were facing.

I could go on, but really what's the point. You are likely to want to shift the blame to anyone but the President.
I’m more than certain you will go on and on day after day after day. I’ll see this tomorrow and the day after and next week and next month ...............

I’m more than certain you will go on and on day after day after day. I’ll see this tomorrow and the day after and next week and next month ...............
Trump does something terrible on a daily basis, so yeah, you probably will. Some people have higher standards than to accept the conduct.

It’s funny. They wake up every day outraged with Trump. They’re not totally sure what they’re going to be outraged about that particular day but they’re going to create something in their deranged minds to be outraged about.

The wheels on the bus go round and round...

the joke is the dems are setting Cuomo up to be their 2024 candidate, or worse yet, the 2020 VP.

He’s their next Roosevelt. NY Governor who persevered over a crisis, then went on to socialize America.
Yeah, shame on that FDR. Social Security, The New Deal - pulling the US out of the depths of the Great Depression......gave unions right to organize and collectively bargain, and generally made sure that the benefits of American Capitalism were more evenly distributed among its citizens.
Where's the "joke" ?

Yeah, shame on that FDR. Social Security, The New Deal - pulling the US out of the depths of the Great Depression......gave unions right to organize and collectively bargain, and generally made sure that the benefits of American Capitalism were more evenly distributed among its citizens.
Where's the "joke" ?

Cuomo being the next Roosevelt, that’s the joke.

On March 17th, he is on record disagreeing with Blasio about locking down NYC, then three days later relents. Then last week, Cuomo fights with neighboring state governors about them restricting travel of NYers. The guy is pretty much the main contributor with keeping the virus transmission going. While I think it would have been difficult to control the virus in NYC, disagreeing with the local official wasn’t the best idea in this situation.

But the Dems sure are propping up Cuomo. Second generation politician....you can never go wrong there.

Last edited:
It’s funny. They wake up every day outraged with Trump. They’re not totally sure what they’re going to be outraged about that particular day but they’re going to create something in their deranged minds to be outraged about.

The wheels on the bus go round and round...
Sorry Atl...but the wheels on their bus goes kathunk....kathunk...kathunk...

Cuomo being the next Roosevelt, that’s the joke.

On March 17th, he is on record disagreeing with Blasio about lockdown NYC, then three days later relents. Then last week, Cuomo fights with neighboring state governors about them restricting travel of NYers. The guy is pretty much the main contributor with keeping the virus transmission going. While I think it would have been difficult to control the virus in NYC, disagree with the local official was the best idea in this situation.

But the Dems sure are propping up Cuomo. Second generation politician....you can never go wrong there.
Where's the lib outrage that he didn't lock down NY immediately. But he allowed it to spread to many other locations.

I personally can't stand the guy.
But you know what - I despise Hillary freakin' Clinton. And you know what else - the dems had 3 years to get a candidate together that could beat him. Shouldn't be that hard, right? And who they pick to go against him? Effin Joe Effin Biden? Are you kidding me? Get your shi# together dems.

that is just a reflection of our two one party 'system'

the worst often rises to the top

Excellent summarization.
The backdrop to the great deal of difficulty in negotiating the 2009 Stimulus Package, was the meeting of GOP lawmakers WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE OBAMA INAUGURATION, in which they swore a blood oath that he would be a 1-term President. That set a tone that the Tea Party branch of the Republican Party would embrace for some time.

Than there is this!
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/where-did-stimulus-money-really-go

And this.
https://gop.com/the-real-obama-stimulus/

Let's hope the 2.2 Trillion serves for better purpose.

Still poor.

He just locks into one statement and it solves all problems. Just like the travel ban from China. That should have kept Covid from getting here.

More testing than any country in the world means it's no longer a problem here.

Trump has immense personal issues that detract from his leadership, but the dude is not going to change despite the non-stop rantings of millions of people. Why keep beating your head against the wall over this? The more people keep saying anyone who supports Trump is a dumbass, the more the other side just locks in. Obsessing about Trump 24*7*365 is only going to make your lives more miserable every day.

Trump has immense personal issues that detract from his leadership, but the dude is not going to change despite the non-stop rantings of millions of people. Why keep beating your head against the wall over this? The more people keep saying anyone who supports Trump is a dumbass, the more the other side just locks in. Obsessing about Trump 24*7*365 is only going to make your lives more miserable every day.
I feel just fine.

I would feel a lot worse if I stood by and watched this happen without saying anything. It's almost certain I'm not making any difference.......I'm good with that. I'm trying.

At what level would you suggest people stop pointing theses things out?
Message boards. Social media. The press. Writers. Elected officials?

While I agree he's not going to change, are we going to be better off by just keeping quiet? If we disagree with the status quo, what would you like us to do......just learn to like or accept it?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT