ADVERTISEMENT

How are we getting to 13 Scholarships

Speculation is very easy. First you are concerned about our 2024 issue of being over one scholarship. I provided an answer. Then you say that answer doesn’t solve our 2025 issue. The reality is we don’t have a 2025 issue. You just want someone to leave so you can sign Sisley and or Harrelson.

Here’s the answer to your 2025 desires of creating a space for Sisley or whoever.

If Berg can’t beat out Jacobson and Burgess he will leave.

We have a big logjam at the 2/3 spot. Simply stated, whoever loses out will leave. Guys like Harris and Myles are not going to stick around if they are still on the bench after next year. We have an opening at the 2/3 spot. Someone will win and someone will lose. Myles isn’t going to stay if he finds himself behind both Harris and Loyer for another 2 years. It will be the same with cox and Benton. They didn’t come to Purdue to be our 8th/9th man off the bench for the next 4 years.

A guard will leave creating a spot for Sisley

Speculation is just that...speculation. It doesn't make you brave or smart. It matters none.

I'm just going to wait and see what our coaching staff figures out and not going to suggest that someone who otherwise is a great teammate and a hard worker is leaving. It might happen. It might not.
BOOO - what fun is there in that!!!

• Haha
Reactions: New Pal Boiler
If Furst moves on this yr to free up the scholarship that we currently need, that leaves us oversigned if Sisley commits with no seniors. That was the point there. Same situation as this yr basically. That is IF we sign a '25.
I definitely think there is the slight possibility of Catchings being a one and done. I believe he's listed late first round currently in mock '25 drafts.
I'm not saying that Waddell has better options, just not typical that you would have a guy eat up a scholarship for 5 yrs that basically plays only when the walk ons enter the game.
Furst is the only Senior for 2024-25. So if he is the one to depart now to make room for a 24 recruit, that means we have zero seniors that will have exhausted their eligibility to allow for Sisley or Haralson to sign. That's why it would make it the same as now. Needing an undergrad to turn pro or transfer.
My bad I was missing berg on my list (I went off 247 and they don’t show berg as had committed on any lists).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Speculation is very easy. First you are concerned about our 2024 issue of being over one scholarship. I provided an answer. Then you say that answer doesn’t solve our 2025 issue. The reality is we don’t have a 2025 issue. You just want someone to leave so you can sign Sisley and or Harrelson.

Here’s the answer to your 2025 desires of creating a space for Sisley or whoever.

If Berg can’t beat out Jacobson and Burgess he will leave.

We have a big logjam at the 2/3 spot. Simply stated, whoever loses out will leave. Guys like Harris and Myles are not going to stick around if they are still on the bench after next year. We have an opening at the 2/3 spot. Someone will win and someone will lose. Myles isn’t going to stay if he finds himself behind both Harris and Loyer for another 2 years. It will be the same with cox and Benton. They didn’t come to Purdue to be our 8th/9th man off the bench for the next 4 years.

A guard will leave creating a spot for Sisley
I disagree we have logjam. We had 5 guys at the 2/3 spot this year and no one left (Loyer, Jones, Morton, Heide, Colvin). Morton was an anomaly I would have thought most guys would leave in that situation. Jones picked up some minutes at the 1. I think Harris will play some 1, but maybe only 5+/- minutes if Braden picks up 35 minutes. Next year we have loyer, Heide, Colvin, and Harris splitting time at 2/3, they can each get 20+ minutes with Harris getting some at 1 and Heide maybe at 4. I expect benter and cox will redshirt and loyer and Braden will drop off with Harris moving to 1 opening up playing time for benter and cox in 2025. Catchings and Sisley will play the 4. So bottom line I don’t see where we ever have more than 4 guys fighting over minutes at 2 positions. Maybe in 2025 if we aren’t redshirting and we have 13 guys but I’m not sure Sisley wouldn’t redshirt either…

Here is who I see in 2024

1. Smith (with Harris as reserve)
2/3 loyer and Harris (colvin, Heide as backups)
4 TKR with catchings as backup, Waddell deep on bench
5 Furst / Berg, with Burgess or Jacobson as deep reserve.

Benter, cox, and burgess or Jacobson redshirt.

1. Haralson / Harris
2/3. Harris / Heide / Colvin / Cox / Benter (agree one of these guys likely transfers, or we don’t get Haralson
4. Catchings / Sisley
5. Berg / Burgess / Jacobson
I think one of the centers won’t be there or slides to 4 if Sisley redshirts. Or Heide can play 4 if Sisley redshirts. Either way i only see 2 guys transferring from the 15 listed above over the next two off seasons. Most of these guys understand they will have to work to start, I don’t see guys like cox and Benter getting upset they are behind Colvin and Harris or Heide or they wouldn’t have committed here in the first place

1. Haralson / Harris
2/3. Harris / Heide / Colvin / Cox / Benter (agree one of these guys likely transfers, or we don’t get Haralson
4. Catchings / Sisley
I think one of the centers won’t be there or slides to 4 if Sisley redshirts. Or Heide can play 4 if Sisley redshirts. Either way i only see 2 guys transferring from the 15 listed above over the next two off seasons. Most of these guys understand they will have to work to start, I don’t see guys like cox and Benter getting upset they are behind Colvin and Harris or Heide or they wouldn’t have committed here in the first place
Smith and Loyer both gone in 25?

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold

1. Haralson / Harris
4. Catchings / Sisley
Smith and Loyer graduate 2026 and I assume they ll be sticking around until then 😆

Smith and Loyer both gone in 25?
I think smith will be gone not sure he will have much to prove but maybe NIL changes his mind like it did for Edey. if Loyer sticks around I think it will have to come at the expense of a 2/3. I think it will be hard for loyer to justify starting next year and will be increasingly tough in 2025 with Harris, Heide, and Colvin. I probably should have left him in there and said 3 of 4 will be back. I think loyer will be like Morton if he comes back where he got a lot of playing time his first two years but continues to get passed up and he will have to take a minimal role or move on.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
I think smith will be gone not sure he will have much to prove but maybe NIL changes his mind like it did for Edey. if Loyer sticks around I think it will have to come at the expense of a 2/3. I think it will be hard for loyer to justify starting next year and will be increasingly tough in 2025 with Harris, Heide, and Colvin. I probably should have left him in there and said 3 of 4 will be back. I think loyer will be like Morton if he comes back where he got a lot of playing time his first two years but continues to get passed up and he will have to take a minimal role or move on.
Smith gone where? The NBA or transfers to another team?

Reactions: pboiler18
Haven't been paying super close attention as Purdue is sitting out the portal off season, so maybe I missed it. But any word on how we are getting to 13 scholarships? I would have thought there would have been an announcement by now. Seems strange.
Here is an idea that I have not seen floated around yet.

Several have mentioned Brian Waddell's name.

I think that Brian may be Coach's wild card.

He was a late, surprise recruit that seemed more likely to be a walk on than a scholarship player. Likely a good player but done more out of the relationship between Matts.

So I believe that Brian is playing with a one year scholarship that is renewed annually IF space permits.
OK, nothing really new about that.

I have seen that other think he might go to the portal or become a walk on.

I see another option.

When Brian signed his LOI I remember it being mentioned he wanted to become a coach in the future. One of the biggest reasons he chose Purdue and Painter.

He is also a two time All B1G Academic team member so he should qualify for an academic scholarship, but not as a player as it would still count against the total.

I am thinking that Brian and Coach are waiting to see what shakes out by the end of the year (Furst leaves/retires, Berg leaves/goes back home, etc) and if nothing does Brian makes a switch.

He is still on the bench, he gets his academic scholarship, he is still close to his GF, and he works toward seeing another view of coaching as a student manager or grad assistant!!!

He knows he is not going to the NBA and he is not likely to see the floor in the next two seasons during meaningful play.

So taking another step into the workings of a coach could make sense.

Professional. Probably a stretch wirh NIl money now that I think of it.
Pro after his junior year? If so, that’d mean he upped his scoring, shooting %, burst, first dribble, and stayed around the same rebounding and assist averages. Which, I would assume mean pretty good success for Purdue.

I don’t think he leaves next year…selfishly I hope he doesn’t. But he needs to improve on defense and a few other things for that level.

Also, if He stays two more years he will def break Winston’s all time B1G assists record, although he could break it next year.

Pro after his junior year? If so, that’d mean he upped his scoring, shooting %, burst, first dribble, and stayed around the same rebounding and assist averages. Which, I would assume mean pretty good success for Purdue.

I don’t think he leaves next year…selfishly I hope he doesn’t. But he needs to improve on defense and a few other things for that level.

Also, if He stays two more years he will def break Winston’s all time B1G assists record, although he could break it next year.
This is what I've said about Braden's NBA potential. His value may never get higher than it is right now, but how much of that is because of Zach? Obviously a lot. Teams need to see his production without Zach, which he can only get by returning to school and likely playing 4 years. It's kind of a double-edged sword for him.

This is what I've said about Braden's NBA potential. His value may never get higher than it is right now, but how much of that is because of Zach? Obviously a lot. Teams need to see his production without Zach, which he can only get by returning to school and likely playing 4 years. It's kind of a double-edged sword for him.
Braden doesn't have the measureables the NBA wants to be a draft pick.

His path has to be via production. NBA scouts would want to see him do it without Edey.

Am I saying it's impossible for him to play in the NBA no. I'm saying the NBA drafts very much on upside and athletic measureables than just production, even stellar production. So I'd be surprised if he gets drafted after his junior season.

Final Four is in Indianapolis in 2025. Expecting this team to be there.
Waddell can play for this team. Painter has a plan for this year and perhaps one for next.
We are just fans. Relax and Enjoy the ride :) .
2026**

Final four in 2025 is in San Antonio.

Indy has the Midwest regional in 2025 though.

Chicago has Midwest regional in 2026 and then Indy for F4…would be great if the boilers could all stick around for that year and make a run through that regional and to the F4.

Reactions: Schnelk
I see both Smith and Loyer staying all 4 years at Purdue. I don’t see Smith leaving early for the NBA. And that creates a huge logjam at the 2/3.

I don’t see Smith playing less than 30 minutes a game. That gives 10 minutes to someone to play pg. is Harris going to be happy playing 10 minutes a game for the next two years?

Loyer could end up being like Morton but I don’t see him leaving. I could see him staying and accepting a lesser role.

That leaves Catchings, Myles, Heide, Harris, cox and Benter all fighting for playing time at the two and 3 positions.

I still see Catchings playing the 3 a lot more than the 4. Burgess is a prized recruit. He can play the 4.

The facts are if you want to create room to add Sisley and /or Harrelson, 1-2 players are going to have to leave. I don’t see anybody leaving early. So that would mean someone has to get upset about their lack of playing time and will leave. Are Cox and Benton ok with coming off the bench all 4 years? Will Heide, Myles or Harris stay if they are not starting? Will we add Sisley? Will we add Harrelson? Will Wadell take up the grad assistant job? I thought that position was a 2 year position.

Unlike many here, I believe Catchings plays the 3 position rather than the 4. It appears that would be his more natural position in the NBA. And if he’s only going to be at Purdue 1-2 years, that would appear to be the position he would prefer to play. Admittedly if he plays the 3 position that screws over Heide, Colvin and Harris forcing them to share time with Loyer and Smith. That won’t make them happy, but it will make Catchings and Burgess fans happy.

The bigger question to answer is who fills the holes for next year? Who replaces Lance? Will it be Harris or Colvin? Or will it be Catchings? With Loyer/Colvin/Harris fighting for the 2 spot?

Who replaces Edey? Will it be TkR? Or will it be Jacobson and TKR slides over to the 4?

Last but least, who will be the #1 scoring option. Next year? Will it be a more rounded attack? Will there be a featured player? Does Smith become a 20 point scorer? Does tkr step it up? Will catchings be a star like the guy for UConn was as a freshman?

Are we hyping Catchings too much? Are our expectations for Colvin and Harris too high? Are we not giving enough hype to Jacobson and Burgess? Jacobson was a top 100 before he reclassified and Burgess was a top 100 at the beginning of last year.

I just came up with a new thought but this post is too long already

We keep speculating about who will be leaving and creating space for Sisley and Harrelson. We keep saying players like Catchings and Colvin and Harris and Smith and TKR should start.

If that happens, what would Sisley and Harrelson do? Would they be happy coming off the bench for 2-3 years? Would they be willing to redshirt? Would they be good enough to start? If Sisley starts, who would go to the bench? Heide? Tkr? Catchings? Does that seem logical?

I’ll ask the same about Harrelson. If he were to start, who sits on the bench? And would he be happy to come off the bench playing behind Smith, Harris and Colvin?

I’m not a stud athlete with dreams of playing in the NBA. But if I were, I’d want the opportunity of playing 20+ minutes a game to showcase my talents as a freshman.

We keep speculating about who will be leaving and creating space for Sisley and Harrelson. We keep saying players like Catchings and Colvin and Harris and Smith and TKR should start.

If that happens, what would Sisley and Harrelson do? Would they be happy coming off the bench for 2-3 years? Would they be willing to redshirt? Would they be good enough to start? If Sisley starts, who would go to the bench? Heide? Tkr? Catchings? Does that seem logical?

I’ll ask the same about Harrelson. If he were to start, who sits on the bench? And would he be happy to come off the bench playing behind Smith, Harris and Colvin?

I’m not a stud athlete with dreams of playing in the NBA. But if I were, I’d want the opportunity of playing 20+ minutes a game to showcase my talents as a freshman.
These are the problems Duke and UK seem to figure out every year. Painter will tell them they have the same shot to start and play a lot that everyone else has and it will be up to them to carve out their role.

Some guys will appreciate that candor and some will demand more. The latter very rarely end up at Purdue.

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
Braden doesn't have the measureables the NBA wants to be a draft pick.

His path has to be via production. NBA scouts would want to see him do it without Edey.

Am I saying it's impossible for him to play in the NBA no. I'm saying the NBA drafts very much on upside and athletic measureables than just production, even stellar production. So I'd be surprised if he gets drafted after his junior season.
Agreed he needs to come back to show he can produce without Edey. His leap from junior year HS through sophomore year college each year is tremendous. He doesn’t have the athleticism and quickness for many 6 footers in NBA but there are plenty of guys in the nba that get by without it. Tyler Herro (taller but similar skill set), Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash come to mind.

Agreed he needs to come back to show he can produce without Edey. His leap from junior year HS through sophomore year college each year is tremendous. He doesn’t have the athleticism and quickness for many 6 footers in NBA but there are plenty of guys in the nba that get by without it. Tyler Herro (taller but similar skill set), Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash come to mind.
To even sniff first round next season he'd have to average high teens scoring and high single digits assists. And even then it's unlikely.

Doesn't mean he can't make it eventually, just means the NBA really values those quantities.

To even sniff first round next season he'd have to average high teens scoring and high single digits assists. And even then it's unlikely.

Doesn't mean he can't make it eventually, just means the NBA really values those quantities.
I would agree . And based on agreeing , I do not and can not see Smith leaving Purdue early to play in the NBA. And in staying at Purdue, I cannot see any highly hyped player beating him out of his starting position.

It’s great to recruit a highly hyped point guard, but he has to realize he’s going to see less than 10 mins a game for the next two years and won’t have a chance to showcase his talents until he’s a junior and by then, there will probably be some hotshot new recruit who believes he can be the next smith and start as a freshman.

Its great for Painter to tell a player he has a chance to start as a freshman, but if their dream is to play PG, hopefully they have a head on their shoulders and can see the writing on the wall.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
I wonder if next year the scholarship situation works itself out.

Heide and Colvin probably have the best measurables for NBA talent currently on the roster. If they make the sophomore leap - wouldn’t be surprised. Kanon has all the elements to be a one and done.

I wonder if next year the scholarship situation works itself out.

Heide and Colvin probably have the best measurables for NBA talent currently on the roster. If they make the sophomore leap - wouldn’t be surprised. Kanon has all the elements to be a one and done.
Yeah but selfishly it’d be great to have them all together for 2 seasons and smith, loyer and TKRs sr years …with the Midwest regional in Chicago and F4/NC in Indy…for those guys all to get there again and win it…it’d be a great way to go out 😎

Yeah but selfishly it’d be great to have them all together for 2 seasons and smith, loyer and TKRs sr years …with the Midwest regional in Chicago and F4/NC in Indy…for those guys all to get there again and win it…it’d be a great way to go out 😎

Yeah, that's a national title contender for sure - and with an awesome path to see it in person

Ok so NCAA just came out with clarification on grad transfers - May 1 is their deadline as well. Wonder how many kids were waiting to graduate after this deadline and enter? Wonder if we will see a major influx of kids jumping in the portal with the thought to graduate this summer.

Ok so NCAA just came out with clarification on grad transfers - May 1 is their deadline as well. Wonder how many kids were waiting to graduate after this deadline and enter? Wonder if we will see a major influx of kids jumping in the portal with the thought to graduate this summer.

Interesting point. Who has already graduated by May 1st?

Reactions: Roeder
Purdue will have guys leave next year, going to be logjams, some will go elsewhere, next year will tell who that will be.

Reactions: Middawg
As for this year, I’m going to predict if Harris is a PG that Cox goes the prep school route for a year. I wasn’t aware that Harris played the point, if true he’ll be Smith’s backup for 8–10 minutes a night and play 8-10 minutes a night at the two. Cox an unexpected recruit might benefit by playing a year at a prep.

Purdue will have guys leave next year, going to be logjams, some will go elsewhere, next year will tell who that will be.
Based on what? The assumption that because we now have highly rated players every year that some won’t buy into the “team” philosophy? Personally believe we have to see them on campus and how they gel together. Don’t think CMP is recruiting guys that are not “Purdue” guys.

Based on what? The assumption that because we now have highly rated players every year that some won’t buy into the “team” philosophy? Personally believe we have to see them on campus and how they gel together. Don’t think CMP is recruiting guys that are not “Purdue” guys.
You are correct. Painter did that before and it ended terribly for Purdue. He won't ever make that mistake again.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
I agree with you that it's hard to predict the future and how teams will come together.

The last couple of years Purdue has been fortunate to have Edey as the nucleus of the team. It helps when you have the NPY who is also focused on the team. It's probably easier to get guys to buy into the "team" philosophy when you're competing for a national championship. I suspect that will change when Purdue inevitably has peaked.

Pre-Edey Purdue had a lot of guys transfer even before the more liberal transfer rules came into being. I suspect at some point Purdue will lose guys for the mere fact that they aren't getting any minutes, just like you're seeing at other programs.

I just think the law of averages eventually catches up with Purdue in regards to guys leaving. I don’t think it will be a ton but I imagine someone will get left behind in the rotation and transfers, happens everywhere. Next season will be an interesting one in that regard.

I agree with you that it's hard to predict the future and how teams will come together.

The last couple of years Purdue has been fortunate to have Edey as the nucleus of the team. It helps when you have the NPY who is also focused on the team. It's probably easier to get guys to buy into the "team" philosophy when you're competing for a national championship. I suspect that will change when Purdue inevitably has peaked.

Pre-Edey Purdue had a lot of guys transfer even before the more liberal transfer rules came into being. I suspect at some point Purdue will lose guys for the mere fact that they aren't getting any minutes, just like you're seeing at other programs.
Correct, year after next sees Loyer, Colvin, Heide, Harris, Catchings, Banter, maybe a Sisley all in that 2-3 role, maybe Catchings and possibly Heide play the 4, still leaves a excess of players, chances are someone leaves, that’s ok, happens everywhere now. Going to be a time when Painter has to start playing the portal game as well, he knows that. As for this year, I wasn’t aware that Harris plays some point, I think Cox very well could be the odd man out and go to prep school, if it ends up costing Purdue him that’s the way it goes. Also, I could be wrong, maybe Furst or Waddell go.

Correct, year after next sees Loyer, Colvin, Heide, Harris, Catchings, Banter, maybe a Sisley all in that 2-3 role, maybe Catchings and possibly Heide play the 4, still leaves a excess of players, chances are someone leaves, that’s ok, happens everywhere now. Going to be a time when Painter has to start playing the portal game as well, he knows that. As for this year, I wasn’t aware that Harris plays some point, I think Cox very well could be the odd man out and go to prep school, if it ends up costing Purdue him that’s the way it goes. Also, I could be wrong, maybe Furst or Waddell go.
I heard that Berg (shot Put) Heide (high Jump) are joining the Track and Field Team, Colvin (linebacker) and Smith(free safety) are joining the football team. All on scholarship thus freeing up 4 scholies for the BB team. lol
I guess that makes as much sense any anything else being proposed. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT