ADVERTISEMENT

Horrific accident on I65

Beeazlebub

All-American
Oct 16, 2001
I don't know if it's because of the horrific details of this accident, the fact that 5 people died, or the idea of something this awful happening within a few minutes of where I live, but I'm having a tough time shaking this one from my mind.

The construction on I65 is long overdue, but I wish there was a safer way to complete such projects. Not that I really want to discuss the subject, but this is one of the reasons why I'm all for the development of driverless technology.

http://www.jconline.com/story/news/2015/07/24/interstate-crash-tippecanoe-semi-car/30605831/

I don't know if it's because of the horrific details of this accident, the fact that 5 people died, or the idea of something this awful happening within a few minutes of where I live, but I'm having a tough time shaking this one from my mind.

The construction on I65 is long overdue, but I wish there was a safer way to complete such projects. Not that I really want to discuss the subject, but this is one of the reasons why I'm all for the development of driverless technology.

http://www.jconline.com/story/news/2015/07/24/interstate-crash-tippecanoe-semi-car/30605831/
Any more I stay off I-65 as much as possible, It has just become a terrible place to drive at times. I like 52/41 as an alternate if I am heading to Chicago.

More problems on I-65 as the northbound lanes are closed over Wildcat Creek, just south of the Lafayette/Delphi exit (SR 25 I believe). It sounds like this could be a while as that bridge seems to be experiencing some structural problems.

The re-route is pretty extreme for northbound traffic as they are exiting 65 at Lebanon and using a combination of US 52, SR 28, and US 231 to reconnect to I-65 up near Wolcott. That's only about a 60 mile detour. I guess the bridge was closed for a day or two, reopened for a day or two after an emergency repair, and now has been closed indefinitely until they figure out what's going on.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/i-65-nb-closed-again-in-tippecanoe-county

More problems on I-65 as the northbound lanes are closed over Wildcat Creek, just south of the Lafayette/Delphi exit (SR 25 I believe). It sounds like this could be a while as that bridge seems to be experiencing some structural problems.

The re-route is pretty extreme for northbound traffic as they are exiting 65 at Lebanon and using a combination of US 52, SR 28, and US 231 to reconnect to I-65 up near Wolcott. That's only about a 60 mile detour. I guess the bridge was closed for a day or two, reopened for a day or two after an emergency repair, and now has been closed indefinitely until they figure out what's going on.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/i-65-nb-closed-again-in-tippecanoe-county

Tell me about it. I'm expecting at least a two hour trip home from NW indy on Monday, and it would be worse if I took the recommended detour. What a mess!

Tell me about it. I'm expecting at least a two hour trip home from NW indy on Monday, and it would be worse if I took the recommended detour. What a mess!

If I understood the story correctly, they are not even letting local traffic come as far as SR 38 or SR26? They are making everyone get off at Lebanon? Is that right?

As for me, I grew up in that area and know the back roads pretty well so I think I could navigate my way around the mess, or at least try. Plus, I guess US 52 was recently closed between SR 28 and SR 47. Good thing they got that stretch reopened.

I was going to suggest you take 421 north from Indy but then remembered that it is closed at SR32 east of Lebanon. It seems there are a lot of state roads closed all over the place. I found stretches of SR 28 recently closed east of I-69 and then SR 26 was closed going through Portland, IN on my way to Ohio. Also heard that SR 18 is closed in White/Benton counties. Major Moves seems to be coming to a standstill.

FWIW, here is a link to current road closings in the state.

http://indot.carsprogram.org/#roadR...rts,winterDriving,weatherWarnings,trafficWise

I think 421 might be my best bet even though I'll have to go around 32 via country roads.

421 to 29 to 26 seems crazy, but I'm not sure what else to do.

I think 421 might be my best bet even though I'll have to go around 32 via country roads.

421 to 29 to 26 seems crazy, but I'm not sure what else to do.

The only other alternative I can think of is take I-74 west from Indy and taking US231 north from Crawfordsville. You'd catch the I-65 traffic in Romney though.

I did take the county road route around the 421/32 closure the other day on the way from Noblesville to Crawfordsville. Wasn't too bad although I ended up on a gravel road part of the way, and had just washed my car the day before. Dusty.....

I don't live in Indiana anymore, so I may be out of the loop on news, but are they widening 65?

Even several years ago, the traffic between Lafayette and Indianapolis in particular, was very intense and felt dangerous. This was heavily due to the semis sharing the 2 lanes with car traffic (2 very different speeds).

How they have not expanded or come up with "car only" lanes (either for extended stretches or add a complete lane) is beyond me. They've had so many semi-related accidents over the years.

I don't live in Indiana anymore, so I may be out of the loop on news, but are they widening 65?

Even several years ago, the traffic between Lafayette and Indianapolis in particular, was very intense and felt dangerous. This was heavily due to the semis sharing the 2 lanes with car traffic (2 very different speeds).

How they have not expanded or come up with "car only" lanes (either for extended stretches or add a complete lane) is beyond me. They've had so many semi-related accidents over the years.
They recently made it 3 lanes from Indy to Lebanon and I believe it is now 3 lanes in Lake County. They are in the process of 3-laning it around Lafayette from SR 38 to the Wabash River but I understand it will stop at the river due to the cost of building new/wider bridges across the river. IMO, it needs to be 3 lanes (at least) all the way from Indy to Chicago.

Reactions: Beeazlebub
They recently made it 3 lanes from Indy to Lebanon and I believe it is now 3 lanes in Lake County. They are in the process of 3-laning it around Lafayette from SR 38 to the Wabash River but I understand it will stop at the river due to the cost of building new/wider bridges across the river. IMO, it needs to be 3 lanes (at least) all the way from Indy to Chicago.

Agreed - it's bad from West Lafayette to Indy. There's just too many semis. And that remaining stretch would not be hard to widen. Either that or restrict semis to one lane then have "passing" lanes added in stretches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT