ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to like Hurley

Most surprising thing about him is that UConn hired him from Rhode Island. Another words, he wasn't a "name" coach hire.

If you like great coaches, he’s easy to like. He’s one of the best right now, but yes, his energy is like he has some ADHD or something. 😂

He’s seriously out of control and quite a douche at times. I hate to say that, I don’t personally know him, but the only word that comes to mind every time I see him is “douche”. Going to be a really tough task to beat them regardless if he’s cool guy or not.

He is a good coach and recruiter. He won a national championship and is back to the final, no easy feat. He has won the last 11 NCAA tourney games by double digits. If he wins Monday, he is the coach of an all-time great team. Someone who beats the crap out of everyone draws some hate. If he loses, let’s see how he behaves in defeat.

Why do you poster's have to turn these games personal. I know nothing about Hurley other than he is a great coach. You'd be cocky too if you won the National title and were playing in the Final to repeat too... Fans complain about the HATE Edey gets nationally and yet Purdue fans on these boards do the same exact thing versus opposition player's and Coaches.

He is a good coach and recruiter. He won a national championship and is back to the final, no easy feat. He has won the last 11 NCAA tourney games by double digits. If he wins Monday, he is the coach of an all-time great team. Someone who beats the crap out of everyone draws some hate. If he loses, let’s see how he behaves in defeat.
He’s a good coach but definitely not a likable coach. The arrogance while whining and complaining and trying to always play the victim placing them at some disadvantage is hard to take!

Why do you poster's have to turn these games personal. I know nothing about Hurley other than he is a great coach. You'd be cocky too if you won the National title and were playing in the Final to repeat too... Fans complain about the HATE Edey gets nationally and yet Purdue fans on these boards do the same exact thing versus opposition player's and Coaches.

I don’t hate him at all, and I know Matt Painter doesn’t either. I just just simply said he acts like a complete douche a lot of times. That’s not hate. I respect the heck out of what he is doing, you respect someone and shake their hand after a good game… And still think they’re a bit of an insufferable personality. 😂

Coach K could be a douche. Billy Donovan and of course Izzo were not all peaches and cream when they were winning in the college game. Calaipari and Pitino …ugh. Bill Self and Shaka have their douche moments. On and on with coaches who have had some success. It could be Painter is not the norm in terms of personality and has Purdue fans spoiled. I remember Wooden being ok and Dean Smith of N Carolina.

Great coach/recruiter, but kinda of a jerk
, whiner. Let’s Beat them Boiler style!!!
Right out of the gate:

Obviously we have the perfect balance of talented NBA players….”

I hope Painter uses this on a continuous loop for the Boilers in preparation tomorrow.

What a pompous ass.

The only thing I would say in regards to him is that I think I've seen clips of him on two separate occasions this season get into verbal altercations with fans on his way off the court which I think should be beneath a coach of a major college basketball program.

But him sounding cocky or arrogant? Big deal. Good on him if he can deliver. He's on an incredible run and from all evidence puts together his team the right way and coaches them hard. I'd take him over many other coaches who have won big and come off more friendly in the media but are slime balls in how they run their program.

The Miracle of St Anthony is a great book about his dad Bob Hurley. After reading the book, you can see how Dan has gained his passion and coaching style.

Oh he's a dbag without any doubt. But name a super successful, championship winning coach who didn't seem like an arrogant, cocky, a-hole?

Reactions: A. Ness
Right out of the gate:

I hope Painter uses this on a continuous loop for the Boilers in preparation tomorrow.

What a pompous ass.

Keep yappin, Hurley. Overconfidence and hubris is the fuel that Edey, Smith, and Jones feed on. Just sayin. Might be a good idea to prepare for the fury.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Right out of the gate:

What a pompous ass.

I think he was being somewhat facetious with that line. Maybe I'm wrong though. I saw it as a troll of the media.

He’s a good coach but definitely not a likable coach. The arrogance while whining and complaining and trying to always play the victim placing them at some disadvantage is hard to take!
He admitted that he's trying to manufacture outrage to keep a chip on their shoulders. As we're finding out, it's better to be hated and win than be lovable losers.

If he was our coach you'd like him.

That goes for most coaches. But Hurley has a special brand of arrogance I find off putting.

Probably, like most just need to know more about the good things he does and especially the ribbons he wears. That helps doesn't it?

Last edited:
If you can find examples of him actually doing something wrong I'm all ears. But subjective things like arrogance don't move the needle for me. Plenty of people said Painter had no class because he ran up the score against Utah State, BTW. "Classy" is the least meaningful word in fandom. Again, show me results and show me that you didn't cheat to get them and I'll think you're on the right path.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
show me results and show me that you didn't cheat to get them and I'll think you're on the right path.
Had to laugh last night when they announced the national coaches of the year during one of the timeouts.

Division 3 coach - polite applause
Division 2 coach - polite applause
Kelvin Sampson - booooooooo

You've earned it Cellvin!

Great coach/recruiter, but kinda of a jerk
, whiner. Let’s Beat them Boiler style!!!
Winner Winner Win GIF by giphystudios2021

Watched his presser and he was complimentary of Purdue and very complimentary of Painter. He said at times he wished he had Painters composure. He understands that Edey is totally different than any big man they have faced and is used differently. Expects to do both single and other coverages of Zach. One subtle comment he said he was concerned about fouls on Clingan. He said Edey gets fouled a lot or goes to the line a lot. He said he watched six Purdue games since the Alabama game ended and expects to watch two more. Finally, with a smile he said he is sure Purdue fans love Cam from his big ten days.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Watched his presser and he was complimentary of Purdue and very complimentary of Painter. He said at times he wished he had Painters composure. He understands that Edey is totally different than any big man they have faced and is used differently. Expects to do both single and other coverages of Zach. One subtle comment he said he was concerned about fouls on Clingan. He said Edey gets fouled a lot or goes to the line a lot. He said he watched six Purdue games since the Alabama game ended and expects to watch two more. Finally, with a smile he said he is sure Purdue fans love Cam from his big ten days.
Had to look him up. I didn't remember Sencer playing for Rutgers.

Right out of the gate:

What a pompous ass.

He’s not wrong? He’s hyping up his guys and believing in them. They’re number 1 for a reason. It’s pretty amazing how he can get them to play like they do on a consistent basis and just dominate from every single spot.

Mmm pudding
Off topic but when’s the last time you’ve had pudding? It’s been a while for me now that I think about it…you don’t really order it at restaurants and I guess maybe you have it more so at family gatherings?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT