ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh offered $48 M

He has a good coaching pedigree in him instilled from his dad and family....unfortunately I think his mind is going for all the concussions and hits he took as a player.

It will start all warm and fuzzy for the Michigan faithful and will turn ugly at the end when he tells them off worse than Rich Rod did.....

JH marches to the beat of his own drum.

I wish him the best and have met him a few times when he played for the Colts in Indy.

Arrogant SOB, but that is what you need in the competitive world and he will recruit well like he did at Stanford.

That will hurt Purdue a little but should hurt O$U, PSU, Notre Lame and Wisconsin the most in recruiting

He will get them back and get the O$U rivalry competitive again and bring up the Big Ten again, but I also predict it is an ugly train wreck in the end.

I truly think his mind is clouded from his concussions.

Oh well Michigan's issue to sort out in the future.

Gotta hand it to their Athletic Department and University...whether or not he takes the job and whether or not he is successful as the Head Coach if he does, they have made a very strong statement that few schools outside the SEC are willing to make. He is the overwhelming choice of most Michigan alum's and fans and money will not be the reason he does not take the job!

The only con is if he says "no" the #2 choice will want that $.

I don't think Harbaugh is motivated by money. That is a ton of it though.

I thought I heard a rumor that UM had reached out to Hazell to gauge his interest in heading to Ann Arbor.

/ and by 'heard a rumor' I meant that I am starting one.

I work with a Michigan grad, and hes been reading/sending me all the UM chatter for weeks now.

I was really hoping hes would accept immediately. I feared he would say something like this and leverage a better offer from someone like the bears that are equally desperate. I actually think NCAA is a better place for Jim. He gets his GM control, his heart attack style will stay effective longer since kids are only there for 4-5 years, and Michigan fans kind of feed off that style anyway. I would adore seeing Harbaugh/Meyers games yearly. I think this hire would go a long way torward making the big ten relevant again.

The NFL and NBA have been able to create some semblance of level playing field for their leagues with salary caps and free agency rules. It's made their products a lot better recently. The biggest and richest markets are doing nothing in the NBA right now and it's still a descent product.

College football has no chance for this with one school being able to spend 11-12 million a year just on their coaching staff. Schools have been trying to keep up with one another with facilities but the purdues of the world cannot compete consistently against schools willing to do whatever it takes financially.

I'm in the minority here. I don't want purdue to try and outspend bama, OSU, and Michigan. If we get a billion dollar sugar daddy to support the program, I guess that's ok. Personally, I'd rather have that person create some jobs, dig some wells in Africa, and feed some people instead.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

To be fair, though, ghostoffatjack, it's not just that few schools are willing to make a $48 million offer; it's also that few are able to.

I don't want to sound like the preachy old curmudgeon here, but an offer like that strikes me as just the latest example of athletics being waaaaaayyyyyy over prioritized in higher education.

Regarding the last two posts:

In general I agree. Football just isnt that big of a deal.

In reality, it is what it is. I just want to see the boilers take the most aggressive stab at it they can so I can root for my team.

Originally posted by rgarlitz:
To be fair, though, ghostoffatjack, it's not just that few schools are willing to make a $48 million offer; it's also that few are able to.

I don't want to sound like the preachy old curmudgeon here, but an offer like that strikes me as just the latest example of athletics being waaaaaayyyyyy over prioritized in higher education.
If they can afford it, then good for them. There are VERY FEW schools that could afford to do this.

As bad as Hoke and Brandon were, they did a lot for the school fundraising and facilities wise and have the money to blow on a shiny new coach.

The thing about paying your head coach $7 mil a year is that your assistants won't necessarily command figures lockstep with that (percentage increase wise over their peers). I think you'd still see Michigan pay about 1.2mil for their OC and DCs, and then from there pay average for position coaches. So in the end, they might only be spending a few million more based on 1 guy than the avg. BigTen staff. You wouldn't trade $3, $4 or $5 million for a winning season? Shoot, we could afford to pay a HC $5+ million dollars if we won and packed out RA for every home game and not have our bottom line move at all.

They can afford to pay this because the AD is generating the revenue and then paying them....not the school.

Just wondering what schools in the power 5 conferences could not pay this amount, IYO...off the top of my head none come to mind. Filling a small 60,000 seat stadium at a low average cost of $30 per ticket nets one almost $2,000,000 per game on tickets alone times the 6, 7 or 8 home games pays for the tab on a coach quite nicely and with a profit and I am only talking ticket revenue nothing else.

Michigan makes over $5,000,000 per game on tickets alone in the Big House!

Now I don't propose spending $6-10 mil on a coach just to pay him, but if it was a Coach that their, Board, Athletic Dept and fans want why not! Purdue chooses not to because of their BOT but they have the resources to!

Heck top end Basketball coaches at Duke and Kansas are at almost $10,000,000 now!

If Purdue or almost all the schools in the Power 5 were in the market for new Head Coaches in both football and basketball and Nick Saban and John Calipara told the AD they are willing to come to for $10,000,000 per year each do you think any school would have a resources problem? You can substitute Self, Coach K, Brown, etc and Carroll, Meyer, Fisher, etc on the other!

This post was edited on 12/18 11:53 AM by ghostoffatjack

This post was edited on 12/18 11:54 AM by ghostoffatjack

Didn`t he leave Stanford for a pro job cause he said he didn`t have to kiss the fat ass boosters where the sun don`t shine. I for one want him to coach at Mich. Would I like to see Hoke at Purdue yes. I offered Hazell and a truck load of pigs on Mich. free board for Hoke before he was fired. No confidence in Hazell !!

In the current reports regarding this is he used Stanford's top end offer of $4,000,000 plus per year to keep him there to leverage almost $5,000,000 a year from the 49'ers to leave. He is no dumb bunny and the money is important to him too! I think he is just waiting to see if the Raiders job opens up and if they would pay him the money he wants to stay in the Bay Area and not move the family! JMO on that though!

Originally posted by coolbrees:
The NFL and NBA have been able to create some semblance of level playing field for their leagues with salary caps and free agency rules. It's made their products a lot better recently. The biggest and richest markets are doing nothing in the NBA right now and it's still a descent product.

College football has no chance for this with one school being able to spend 11-12 million a year just on their coaching staff. Schools have been trying to keep up with one another with facilities but the purdues of the world cannot compete consistently against schools willing to do whatever it takes financially.

I'm in the minority here. I don't want purdue to try and outspend bama, OSU, and Michigan. If we get a billion dollar sugar daddy to support the program, I guess that's ok. Personally, I'd rather have that person create some jobs, dig some wells in Africa, and feed some people instead.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
You're not in the minority. It's the minority holding the megaphone right now.

Re: The only con is if he says "no" the #2 choice will want that $.

Originally posted by RegionWarrior101:
I don't think Harbaugh is motivated by money. That is a ton of it though.
No matter what anyone says, it's ALWAYS about the money.

As much as I dislike UM, gotta give them props for having the nuts to put up that kind of dough. I'd say that's making a statement.

Re: The only con is if he says "no" the #2 choice will want that $.

Harbaugh to Michigan will hit the media by tuesday. Done deal

This would be huge for the entire conference.

Would love to watch calm strategizer take on heart attack rage arrogance.

Harbaugh to Michigan is a done deal. This is obviously great news for Michigan but is also great news for the entire conference. Harbaugh taking on Meyer and Dantonio will be absolutely classic!

Originally posted by ghostoffatjack:
Gotta hand it to their Athletic Department and University...whether or not he takes the job and whether or not he is successful as the Head Coach if he does, they have made a very strong statement that few schools outside the SEC are willing to make. He is the overwhelming choice of most Michigan alum's and fans and money will not be the reason he does not take the job!
Agree. I hate to say it but this is a great hire. That $8m/yr that he's being paid will be made up in increased season ticket sales and alumni contributions.

Yep there is an article out there that says that if harbaugh is there for at least 8 years he will bring in a billion dollars to the university. Press conference is Tuesday. Michigan is also going to be paying big money for its assistant coaches

Originally posted by studed:
Yep there is an article out there that says that if harbaugh is there for at least 8 years he will bring in a billion dollars to the university. Press conference is Tuesday. Michigan is also going to be paying big money for its assistant coaches
I think assistants are the key to the whole thing. Hire a bad one (ala Shoop) and it sets your program back a ton. Just ask Rich Rod how he feels in retrospect about hiring Greg Robinson as his DC.

If Harbaugh were smart, he would keep Mattison around.

He should also throw a ton of money at a GOOD OC.

Originally posted by pboiler18:
I think assistants are the key to the whole thing. Hire a bad one (ala Shoop) and it sets your program back a ton. Just ask Rich Rod how he feels in retrospect about hiring Greg Robinson as his DC.

yep we are being told the pay for the assistant coaches will be at least 5 million. we are also being told that it looks like mattison is staying around because he is still under contract and is friends with the harbaughs. he will not be the dc. he will be the lb coach. look for one of 2 guys. durkin the dc from florida. was a lb coach at stanford under harbaugh. he said recently he was waiting to hear from harbaugh. the dc at stanford has been telling people he his going with harbaugh. he got his start with harbaugh.

yep we are being told the pay for the assistant coaches will be at least 5 million. we are also being told that it looks like mattison is staying around because he is still under contract and is friends with the harbaughs. he will not be the dc. he will be the lb coach. look for one of 2 guys. durkin the dc from florida. was a lb coach at stanford under harbaugh. he said recently he was waiting to hear from harbaugh. the dc at stanford has been telling people he his going with harbaugh. he got his start with harbaugh.
Mattison is better than both, combined. Would be foolish to not have him as DC.

not really. they both had better defenses at there schools. mattison has been good but he has done alot if things that make you scratch your head.

not really. they both had better defenses at there schools. mattison has been good but he has done alot if things that make you scratch your head.
I guess Stanford did have a better D...but its #4 vs. #10....not bad at all. Lots of talent on that staff if this happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT