ADVERTISEMENT

"Guys should we go for a first down here on 3rd and 4?"

BoilermakerD

All-American
Apr 18, 2010
"No, we have to run the clock down."

"You mean out."

"Well maybe... but really more than likely just down enough for the to score anyone and punch it in on our miserable playing not to lose butts. But uh... don't worry cause we are running it down enough to probably have 15 seconds left after they play to win while we are too busy coaching scared, dropping wide open bombs and failing to score from the one on a drive where we were running it down their throats but for some dumb reason decided to run sideways on 2nd and goal from the 1.

It's gonna be awesome."

Reactions: pboiler18
Oh Man! So true. Run Bishop straight ahead not sideways. My confidence is really starting to wane now. I hate it when I start question the coaching decisions, and we lose to inferior teams. Its painful to watch the last two weeks - I am almost back to the I don't care anymore mode.

Oh Man! So true. Run Bishop straight ahead not sideways

Seriously WTF, cram him down their throats. No way we should lose two yards on a goal line run.

"Hey wait, we've got this 260lb back that's been crushing them, let's run him parallel to the goal line..."

The call on second down was the worst! Blough towards the sideline to get smoked. Should have handed it to worship on 2nd and 3rd downs.

"No, we have to run the clock down."

"You mean out."

"Well maybe... but really more than likely just down enough for the to score anyone and punch it in on our miserable playing not to lose butts. But uh... don't worry cause we are running it down enough to probably have 15 seconds left after they play to win while we are too busy coaching scared, dropping wide open bombs and failing to score from the one on a drive where we were running it down their throats but for some dumb reason decided to run sideways on 2nd and goal from the 1.

It's gonna be awesome."
The goal line loss was on Blough, not Brohm or Worship. As a QB you have to be able to read the DE and pull it when he doesn't set the edge. I know everyone is upset with the loss but I thought Brohm made the right call to run the clock down on our last offensive position. They had 90 seconds to March 70 yards with no timeouts after being held to 4 field goals and 1 touchdown all game. What decision would you have made? Throw the ball on 3 and 4 in our own territory to a group of receivers that can't shred a defender, can't catch the ball, and aren't physical enough to come down with 50/50 balls? Run the risk of throwing a pick? If we throw and don't complete the pass we give them 40 more seconds to score, unfortunately they only needed about 75.

The most disappointing thing on their last drive to me was the fact that we couldn't get them down in bounds. They ran crossing routes and outs all drive which didn't force them to work against the clock.

If you think this one is on the coaches so be it, but I couldn't disagree more.

The goal line loss was on Blough, not Brohm or Worship. As a QB you have to be able to read the DE and pull it when he doesn't set the edge. I know everyone is upset with the loss but I thought Brohm made the right call to run the clock down on our last offensive position. They had 90 seconds to March 70 yards with no timeouts after being held to 4 field goals and 1 touchdown all game. What decision would you have made? Throw the ball on 3 and 4 in our own territory to a group of receivers that can't shred a defender, can't catch the ball, and aren't physical enough to come down with 50/50 balls? Run the risk of throwing a pick? If we throw and don't complete the pass we give them 40 more seconds to score, unfortunately they only needed about 75.

The most disappointing thing on their last drive to me was the fact that we couldn't get them down in bounds. They ran crossing routes and outs all drive which didn't force them to work against the clock.

No it was on whoever called a zone read to begin with. You don't need the zone read at the 1... straight up handoff into the A gap

Some people are blaming the coaches,but it baffles me that Tanner Lee threw fifty passes with no interceptions.None.

Reactions: pb1941 and pu1985
We are at the 1 foot line...there is no reason to over-think it. Straight up the middle with a QB sneak or Worship. No one can convince me the play that was called was a good decision based on the result. I mean when you have Marshawn Lynch in the backfield at the one, you should not attempt a slant pass, just hand off the freakin' ball, I am pretty sure he will get in!

Reactions: BoilermakerD
We are at the 1 foot line...there is no reason to over-think it. Straight up the middle with a QB sneak or Worship. No one can convince me the play that was called was a good decision based on the result. I mean when you have Marshawn Lynch in the backfield at the one, you should not attempt a slant pass, just hand off the freakin' ball, I am pretty sure he will get in!

This. Its like 3rd and 1 down 7 at your own 30 in the 3rd quartet and you throw a bomb and a receiver drops it and someone says "yeah but if he would have caught it."

That play call is a 2nd and one call all things equal...

Just like the zone read is a 25 yard line thing not a one foot line thing

I agree. They managed the clock and did what 90% of other coaches would have done.
UN simply made the plays they had to make on that last drive.
Now, maybe some different strategy in terms of defense (I would have like to see more blitzing, forcing quick throws to the middle, not the sideline) but the PU coaches managed the clock properly.

Reactions: BBG
He did. One of the GBI writers had a picture of the exchange and it looked like blough tried to pull it but Worship didn't let go, so that is on him not Blough. The picture makes it look like he almost fumbled.

I thought the same thing when I saw the replay on TV. It looks like Blough tried to pull it but Worship didn't let him.

Love all the armchair coaches here, you should write CJB and tell him how you would do things, you have never been wrong on a called play before. I bet other coaches around the NCAA are on this board taking screenshots and furiously scribbling notes, "So that's how it's done..."

Reactions: BoiledSteel
I thought the same thing when I saw the replay on TV. It looks like Blough tried to pull it but Worship didn't let him.

Love all the armchair coaches here, you should write CJB and tell him how you would do things, you have never been wrong on a called play before. I bet other coaches around the NCAA are on this board taking screenshots and furiously scribbling notes, "So that's how it's done..."
Well this is a board to voice an opinion, just as you did on the handoff between Blough and Worship. Most people just like to talk about what happened and definitely know Brohm is way beyond us in football knowledge and experience. So its nice to throw ideas in with other Purdue fans

Reactions: PaBoiler78
Well this is a board to voice an opinion, just as you did on the handoff between Blough and Worship. Most people just like to talk about what happened and definitely know Brohm is way beyond us in football knowledge and experience. So its nice to throw ideas in with other Purdue fans

I was mostly trolling. I understand it's a message board so I'm not expecting too many people to be rational ;-P.

For this young team and a win was needed. Use both downs and cram it at them with D.J. Knox and 1 specific play with Worship lead blocking to TE Hopkins side attempt to open the hole and seal off the LB's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT