ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football GoldandBlack.com game day thread: Purdue-Illinois

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
Greetings from Ross-Ade Stadium!

Purdue will try to go 3-1 in September for the first time since 2012. I like the Boilermakers’ chances.

Some storylines today:

• Will David Bell play? He was still in concussion protocol as of Friday. I get the sense No. 3 won’t be on the field today. You’d think Purdue would have enough weapons to win even without Bell—or Mershawn Rice. Time for Broc Thompson, Milton Wright and TJ Sheffield to step up.

• Can the offense find its mojo? The attack never got going vs. a solid Notre Dame defense last week. And it didn’t get on track vs. Oregon State until the fourth quarter. The UConn game? Hard to put much stock in anything we saw in East Hartford vs. that program. This is an Illinois defense that has gotten gashed often in 2021. Purdue should be able to punch some holes in the Illini defense.

• Will we see true freshmen Ja’Quez Cross and Deion Burks take hand-offs? Cross is a running back by trade, while Burks signed as a wideout. Each is small but quick, a dimension this running game could use.

• Can the defense keep its edge? The unit has been a pleasant surprise through three games, attacking from all angles. I expect the front to get after the Illinois quarterbacks—Brandon Peters and/or Arthur Sitkowski.

What are your thoughts on the game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News