ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football GoldandBlack.com game day thread: Purdue at Notre Dame

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
Welcome to Notre Dame Stadium!

I haven’t been to a game in this venue since 2009, when I saw USC take down the Irish. I saw Purdue play here once, way back in 1988. And that day didn’t go so well—a 52-7 ND win. Notre Dame went on to claim the national title.

But, enough with the past. On to today …

Storylines to watch:

- This ND team is vulnerable. The offensive line is a work-in-progress--and a bit banged up--that has struggled to get a consistent push in the run game. Purdue’s d-line has been the best part of an overhauled defense. Maybe George Karlaftis and Co., can set the tone, keep the Irish offense on its heels, generate negative plays and produce 2-3 turnovers.

- Purdue’s attack may have its own issues. At the top of the list: Can the Boilers run the ball? Not having No. 1 back Zander Horvath hurts. But more to the point is the Purdue o-line. It has looked solid the first two games. But the Irish will provide a new test. Can the front get a push? Purdue may have to “manufacture” a run game by using short passes and handing off from time to time to wideouts, with King Doerue and Dylan Downing carrying the load at running back in Horvath’s absence.

- Pass, pass, pass. I think Jack Plummer will need to throw at least 50 of them, as the run game may struggle to gain footing. The aerial game is Purdue’s strong point, so it should ride it. Throw to David Bell, Payne Durham, TJ Sheffield, Milton Wright and Co., early and often.

- Quick start. I think it’s vital for the Boilers to hit the ground running and to get a lead. Make ND play from behind, forcing the Irish to pass. And that’s when the Boiler d-line could tee off on immobile Notre Dame quarterback Jack Coan. And change-of-pace QB Tyler Buchner could be rendered less effective playing from behind.

What are storylines you’ll be watching today?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News