ADVERTISEMENT

GoldandBlack.com game day thread: Purdue at Minnesota

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
MINNEAPOLIS — Game day is here.

It goes without saying that a win today would be huge boost to Purdue’s fortunes, a statement that the Boilermakers are a legit contender in what looks like a wide-open Big Ten West.

For a second week in a row, the status of No. 1 QB Aidan O’Connell hangs over the proceedings. Will he play? Will he miss a second game in a row? The vibe as game time has drawn closer leans toward AOC playing today. Stay tuned.

No doubt, the offense is more explosive and dynamic with O’Connell at the controls. Austin Burton showed last week he can run the attack, but he lacks the field-stretching abilities of O’Connell. Big plays? They were lacking last week. Purdue probably will need to score over 30 points to win. Can it without O’Connell?

The Purdue defense has a tall task trying to slow a hot Gopher attack that can run behind Mohamed Ibrahim (567 yards rushing, No. 2 in Big Ten) and pass behind Tanner Morgan (886 yards passing, 77 percent completion percentage).

What are you looking for today?

A reminder on the status of some key players:

Out: OT Cam Craig, S/LB Jalen Graham, WR Broc Thompson, WR Elijah Canion, WR Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen, RB King Doerue

Game-time decision: QB Aidan O’Connell, CB Reese Taylor

Again, if I were to guess on if O’Connell plays, I’m leaning he plays. And I expect Taylor to play.

I hear Craig’s career may be in jeopardy (back).

Thompson could be back in 2-4 weeks after clean up surgery on his right knee. This will be his third game out; and he barely played vs. Indiana State.

This will be the fourth game Graham has missed (knee). Maybe he’s back next week at Maryland? Or Nebraska at home after that? Gotta think it will be sometime in October.

This will be the third game Doerue (calf) has missed, but Purdue can absorb his loss with Devin Mockobee and Dylan Downing.

Purdue needs Taylor to help a secondary that lacks depth. CBs Cory Trice and Jamari Brown are playing too many snaps. Again, I expect Taylor to play. He has had what's believed to be a foot issue.

Look for Daniel Johnson will make a second straight start with Craig out; Johnson could be your starting right OT the rest of the season. He’s a big body who is serviceable.

Share your thoughts ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News