ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football GoldandBlack.com game day thread: NU at Purdue

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002
Welcome to game day!

No Rondale, no problem for Purdue for a third game in a row. The Boilermakers hope that’s the case, as the school sent an email hours ago saying Moore would be out for the NU game.

Still, big doings in Ross-Ade on this cool mid-November day from my perch in the press box. Can the Boilermakers get to 3-0 in the Big Ten for the first time since 2003? A win vs. No. 23 Northwestern would put Purdue in pole position in the Big Ten West.

As I posted earlier, I am hearing Jackson Anthrop could dress today after being out following shoulder surgery in camp. Jeff Brohm said earlier this week that George Karlaftis and King Doerue would be “game-time” decisions. There seems to be a chance for Karlaftis to see action after he was rolled up on at Illinois on Oct. 31. That would be a huge boost. Not sure about Doerue, but Purdue needs a yin to Zander Horvath’s yang in the backfield ASAP.

Three keys to victory for Purdue:

1. Slow the NU run game. The Wildcats are built better to pound the rock. NU is No. 4 in the Big Ten in rushing (205.3 ypg). If Purdue can slow the roll of the Northwestern rush game, that would make Peyton Ramsey have to throw … a lot. And I think his effectiveness diminishes greatly the more the Indiana grad transfer has to throw the ball.

2. Get chunk plays. The Boilermakers don’t figure to have consistent success vs. Northwestern’s stout defense if they have to consistently execute 10-, 11-, 12-play drives to score. Purdue needs some big plays (10 yards or more). It has 38 through two games, meaning the Boilers average 19 per game. Not bad. Aidan O’Connell and David Bell need to make some long-distance connections. Not having Moore complicates this goal.

3. Get the rock. Purdue has done a better job of getting takeaways in 2020, which is a big reason by the Boilermakers are 2-0 and thinking big. The Boilermakers have six so far this season (four fumbles and two picks). And the defense scored a TD last time out at Illinois. It Purdue can win the turnover battle—an area where NU also excels (9 takeaways in three games)—its chance to win will rise.

Pick to click

Gonna go with TE Payne Durham. Yes, finally, I think the big sophomore tight end is gonna excel. I think NU will pay close heed to Purdue wideouts David Bell and Milton Wright. That will leave Durham in ideal situations vs. Wildcats like Paddy Fisher and Blake Gallagher who aren’t good in coverage. Durham has eight catches for 93 yards on the season. Maybe he’ll equal that today.

What are your keys to victory?

Who is your pick to click?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News