ADVERTISEMENT

Gicarri Harris commits to Purdue basketball

I think the author is just higher on Harris than he is Catchings is what I read in that piece.

I think he just missed Gillis as being a senior that does have a covid year like Morton.

Rightfully so. Harris multiple year impactful difference maker player.
Catchings on the other hand will get freshman minutes in his one year where the conversation will likely be well deserved on his exciting potential. Hopefully, it's an impactful 1 yr. But many of these NBA 1 year guys have good - but not great on court production... And then gone.

So did he sign yesterday? Does anyone know!
I’d imagine he has not signed yet. The social media team is really good about putting out graphics when a player signs. Since the team cannot mention recruits until they’ve signed, and since they haven’t put anything out specifically mentioning him, I’m guessing it hasn’t happened yet.
Spoke too soon.

Last edited:
I’d imagine he has not signed yet. The social media team is really good about putting out graphics when a player signs. Since the team cannot mention recruits until they’ve signed, and since they haven’t put anything out specifically mentioning him, I’m guessing it hasn’t happened yet.

Agree with this - everything I've seen so far has been referenced as a "commitment." If that's the case, then there technically is no over-sign yet either.

We probably won’t see it often, but one line-up option that Painter will be able to go to next year for maximum athleticism would be: Harris/Colvin/Catchings/Heide/Furst. With that line-up, switching 1-5 would be a possibility and Purdue would have the athleticism and length reminiscent of one of the SEC powers.

That all being said, I absolutely am not advocating for sitting Smith. He will thrive with all of the talent that Painter will continue to place around him.

He signed yesterday. Purdue Men's Basketball just put it out on X

Whep - that answers that.....thanks, Mandeville. Recruiting law now - he signed it! :)

c6f86770-9877-46df-b523-eaa7fb0d3402_text.gif

Reactions: Mandeville LA
Sisley and Moreno are obviously ones we would like to get for forward…but if Haralson is somehow in play, we absolutely have him come in and have him start right away.
I wonder if there's data out there that shows what % of five star players are first team all conference or on some form of AA list in their first year. I haven't seen Haralson play, he may be an instant superstar, but there are a lot of five stars that are ranked based on potential or physical attributes and are just 'ok' on the court their first year.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Rightfully so. Harris multiple year impactful difference maker player.
Catchings on the other hand will get freshman minutes in his one year where the conversation will likely be well deserved on his exciting potential. Hopefully, it's an impactful 1 yr. But many of these NBA 1 year guys have good - but not great on court production... And then gone.
I hope we leverage Painter’s USA basketball connections to get us high level off season competition. Want to give him the most info to figure out lineups and challenge this group. I could see Kanon being 2 year guy if he doesn’t get enough minutes to prove himself. Kanon might prove to be Painter’s biggest challenge on pulling in elite talent - that he can give him the stage to shine as a 1 and done.

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

I wonder if there's data out there that shows what % of five star players are first team all conference or on some form of AA list in their first year. I haven't seen Haralson play, he may be an instant superstar, but there are a lot of five stars that are ranked based on potential or physical attributes and are just 'ok' on the court their first year.
I tried a quick search and really didn't get what I was looking for. I also think it would be interesting to see. It is such a jump from HS to college. 18 year old vs 20-22 year old makes a huge difference. Very few can come right in and have immediate success at the all-conference level. If anyone finds something like that please post it.

Reactions: northside100
No clue but Haralson avg 16 and 5 rebounds as a Frosh and 23, 7.7 boards and 4 assists as a soph vs big schools around Indy. I think he will be ready for college as a Frosh right away, unless he goes the G league route. Will be interested in following him at La Lu

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
We probably won’t see it often, but one line-up option that Painter will be able to go to next year for maximum athleticism would be: Harris/Colvin/Catchings/Heide/Furst. With that line-up, switching 1-5 would be a possibility and Purdue would have the athleticism and length reminiscent of one of the SEC powers.

That all being said, I absolutely am not advocating for sitting Smith. He will thrive with all of the talent that Painter will continue to place around him.
Sort of looking to the day when Purdue doesn't run the offense through the low post (watch Berg completely blow up later this year and be our next 7 footer on the block).

No clue but Haralson avg 16 and 5 rebounds as a Frosh and 23, 7.7 boards and 4 assists as a soph vs big schools around Indy. I think he will be ready for college as a Frosh right away, unless he goes the G league route. Will be interested in following him at La Lu
He's clearly a great high schools player and I don't doubt that he'll be ready to play right away. My question was more around whether he'll really be good enough as a first year that we know that he'd step right into a starting role.

Plenty of top 20 guys are but there are a lot who are just ok to good in their first year, very few who are great I did a quick check and I believe the last freshman to garner first team all conference honors in the Big Ten was D'Angelo Russell in 2014-2015. Not a perfect example but a rough illustration of how rare it is for freshmen to come in and star in year one.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
He's clearly a great high schools player and I don't doubt that he'll be ready to play right away. My question was more around whether he'll really be good enough as a first year that we know that he'd step right into a starting role.

Plenty of top 20 guys are but there are a lot who are just ok to good in their first year, very few who are great I did a quick check and I believe the last freshman to garner first team all conference honors in the Big Ten was D'Angelo Russell in 2014-2015. Not a perfect example but a rough illustration of how rare it is for freshmen to come in and star in year one.
If we are just talking B1G, then yes. The guys who are usually recruited to B1G teams don’t usually make a huge impact because they don’t want to play the style of B1G. They go to the other conferences. Maybe we will see what USC and UCLA bring in. Collier for SC (freshman) would make a pretty big impact in the conference this year.

I don’t think Haralson is a typical B1G player and don’t expect him to be in the B1G (if he plays college ball). BUT IF he were to play at Purdue, I would expect him to make a big splash in the backcourt right away. Just from what I’ve seen and read. But definitely could be wrong 😂

Reactions: Woodsa
If we are just talking B1G, then yes. The guys who are usually recruited to B1G teams don’t usually make a huge impact because they don’t want to play the style of B1G. They go to the other conferences. Maybe we will see what USC and UCLA bring in. Collier for SC (freshman) would make a pretty big impact in the conference this year.

I don’t think Haralson is a typical B1G player and don’t expect him to be in the B1G (if he plays college ball). BUT IF he were to play at Purdue, I would expect him to make a big splash in the backcourt right away. Just from what I’ve seen and read. But definitely could be wrong 😂
You may be right, I have no idea. I don't have the stats but I do think that even nationally (other conferences) it's pretty unusual for a true freshman to be a first team all conference guy.

Reactions: Woodsa
Goodness - that isn't something you should say in public. Probably best to say it in a confessional....

It very, very rarely happens. Which is why we remember.

Pardon me gentlemen, but this must be said....you are, quite frankly, amateurs when it comes to these matters, and I will meet you in hell.

Leave the losing to the true professionals - until you've lost a hand with both bowers and the king with two off-suit aces. Of course, you may partially redeem yourself if you can steal a game/match with some really shaky loner hands......so there's that. But for now, raise your glasses to the professional losers. Here, Here!

giphy.gif

Pardon me gentlemen, but this must be said....you are, quite frankly, amateurs when it comes to these matters, and I will meet you in hell.

Leave the losing to the true professionals - until you've lost a hand with both bowers and the king with two off-suit aces. Of course, you may partially redeem yourself if you can steal a game/match with some really shaky loner hands......so there's that. But for now, raise your glasses to the professional losers. Here, Here!

giphy.gif
You are the Master. My hat goes off to you for this! I’m not sure if I could lose that hand if I tried to Lol!

• Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy
until you've lost a hand with both bowers and the king with two off-suit aces.
I am in awe. I bow to the greater loser. :)

And I THINK I may have lost that way once as well, although the trauma has forced the event from my memory, except for the occasional PTSD.
apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

giphy.gif
That’s impossible. That’s a Bill Frieder level waste of resources.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT