ADVERTISEMENT

"For what we pay him..."

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Attached is a list of coaches pay as of November this year. If I'm reading it right, Brohm is middle of the pack BT in base salary (8, just behind Iowa but ahead of Minny) but 6th in "Pandemic pay" year. So my question for those bringing up the $$$ issue, 1. what do you think we should be paying for a HC at Purdue and 2. who are we going to get for that amount?

2020 salaries with Covid

Attached is a list of coaches pay as of November this year. If I'm reading it right, Brohm is middle of the pack BT in base salary (8, just behind Iowa but ahead of Minny) but 6th in "Pandemic pay" year. So my question for those bringing up the $$$ issue, 1. what do you think we should be paying for a HC at Purdue and 2. who are we going to get for that amount?

2020 salaries with Covid

We should be paying middle of the pack until Brohm proves he can do better than bottom third results.

It is not a matter of what Purdue pays...Jeff Brohm is the same coach with the same strengths and same weaknesses whether he is paid $2m per year or $6m per year.

If Purdue had a genuinely elite coach, or, the opportunity to have one...then paying him accordingly makes sense.

Brohm cashed in...many others have done the same (none more so that Charlie Weis)...that is not his fault, nor was Purdue wrong to pay him what they did when they did. There may be some questions right now, but it is hindsight and irrelevant.

Money should not be an issue for Purdue in attracting a coach, or, retaining a coach...especially if it is the right coach.

We should be paying middle of the pack until Brohm proves he can do better than bottom third results.

You’re wrong pat.. we are Purdue. Tiller f’d off after mid 04 and secret retired to fish, hope was eh and hazell was the worst. We have to overpay until 97-03 becomes normal again.

We overpaid a guy who just might stick around once he gets it turned around

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
It is not a matter of what Purdue pays...Jeff Brohm is the same coach with the same strengths and same weaknesses whether he is paid $2m per year or $6m per year.

If Purdue had a genuinely elite coach, or, the opportunity to have one...then paying him accordingly makes sense.

Brohm cashed in...many others have done the same (none more so that Charlie Weis)...that is not his fault, nor was Purdue wrong to pay him what they did when they did. There may be some questions right now, but it is hindsight and irrelevant.

Money should not be an issue for Purdue in attracting a coach, or, retaining a coach...especially if it is the right coach.

It’s about alternatives .. who you gonna get

A young Dan Hawkins at house state with Chris Peterson? And they wanna stay forever? Shit can Brohm for all I care in that case

You’re wrong pat.. we are Purdue. Tiller f’d off after mid 04 and secret retired to fish, hope was eh and hazell was the worst. We have to overpay until 97-03 becomes normal again.

So are you suggesting we now pay Brohm MORE than what we're currently paying him. I'm not suggesting taking money away. But why pay more for someone who's, to date, underperformed?

So are you suggesting we now pay Brohm MORE than what we're currently paying him. I'm not suggesting taking money away. But why pay more for someone who's, to date, underperformed?

No I’m talking about what he’s already making. We overpaid because we are Purdue. If we were Ohio state and wanted to enrage our fan base with what would have been a head scratching hire, we could probably pay Brohm 3.0 for the privilege of getting to head up our brand.

If there were 14 restaurants in your town we are one of the ones fighting everything from bad Yelp reviews to no ad budget to creditors we are on the hook with... just to stay open.

To food we are getting from Cisco cause that’s all we can afford

No I’m talking about what he’s already making. We overpaid because we are Purdue. If we were Ohio state and wanted to enrage our fan base with what would have been a head scratching hire, we could probably pay Brohm 3.0 for the privilege of getting to head up our brand.

If there were 14 restaurants in your town we are one of the ones fighting everything from bad Yelp reviews to no ad budget to creditors we are on the hook with... just to stay open.

To food we are getting from Cisco cause that’s all we can afford
I wasn't ever suggesting we pay him less...

Reactions: Zaphod_B

The question is....he's had time to turn it around. When do you suppose he might be a better coach?

at least we are competitive. I'm willing to be patient with continued improvement and recruiting. matt painter laid some rotten eggs in his career too, hello last year. i don't think a coaching change is warranted.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
at least we are competitive. I'm willing to be patient with continued improvement and recruiting. matt painter laid some rotten eggs in his career too, hello last year. i don't think a coaching change is warranted.
I'm certainly not suggesting we change coaches at this point. But I do feel it's fair to start questioning Brohm's results.

If we fired every coach just because some fans weren't happy with the results, we'd be replacing head coaches every year.

Painter is a real good example too. There have been a couple seasons we didn't finish very well and had we gotten rid of Painter, we likely wouldn't of gotten Carsen and been within an eyelash of a Final Four. Also we may of missed out on the stellar recruiting class we have going on right now. Plus I think last season had more to do with something other than Painter, but that is for another time.

I am like you as long as we see improvement then Brohm is in no hot water. Essentially I think every coach will get a "pass" this year based on how they have had to rush together and figure things out during a pandemic.

But defensively there has to be a change of some kind. Whether it is just players putting in the work, system changes or whatever..... the more I think about it, the more I see how downright awful the defense is. Anyone with even a marginal run game will have a field day against us.

If we fired every coach just because some fans weren't happy with the results, we'd be replacing head coaches every year.

Painter is a real good example too. There have been a couple seasons we didn't finish very well and had we gotten rid of Painter, we likely wouldn't of gotten Carsen and been within an eyelash of a Final Four. Also we may of missed out on the stellar recruiting class we have going on right now. Plus I think last season had more to do with something other than Painter, but that is for another time.

I am like you as long as we see improvement then Brohm is in no hot water. Essentially I think every coach will get a "pass" this year based on how they have had to rush together and figure things out during a pandemic.

But defensively there has to be a change of some kind. Whether it is just players putting in the work, system changes or whatever..... the more I think about it, the more I see how downright awful the defense is. Anyone with even a marginal run game will have a field day against us.

Ask Nebraska how firing for the shiny toy is working out

Reactions: Zaphod_B

I would not argue with most of what you stated. I'm not calling for Brohm's job. What I am doing is being critical of it, which I think you are too. There is zero excuse for the defense being this bad. If you would have asked anyone on this board prior to the season, based on the roster they have, if this defense was going to be this bad, I think a vast majority would have vehemently disagreed.

The biggest concern I have with Brohm is that he seems to be laser focused in on the offense and is not looking hard enough at what's going on with the other units. The fact that he essentially stated in the press conference that he's going to be more involved in all aspects of the game tells me exactly that. If he wants to be successful, its my opinion he needs to delegate the play calling to Brian and be a head coach. He also needs stop with the co-coordinators on both offense and defense and make one coach responsible for each.

Again, if his COVID illness has impacted his coaching ability, I give him a pass. But next year, this trend can't continue...

I would not argue with most of what you stated. I'm not calling for Brohm's job. What I am doing is being critical of it, which I think you are too. There is zero excuse for the defense being this bad. If you would have asked anyone on this board prior to the season, based on the roster they have, if this defense was going to be this bad, I think a vast majority would have vehemently disagreed.

The biggest concern I have with Brohm is that he seems to be laser focused in on the offense and is not looking hard enough at what's going on with the other units. The fact that he essentially stated in the press conference that he's going to be more involved in all aspects of the game tells me exactly that. If he wants to be successful, its my opinion he needs to delegate the play calling to Brian and be a head coach. He also needs stop with the co-coordinators on both offense and defense and make one coach responsible for each.

Again, if his COVID illness has impacted his coaching ability, I give him a pass. But next year, this trend can't continue...
Purdue is 72nd out of 126 teams in points scored so far this season. The defense may not be all that, but I expected the offense to be in the top half of points scored.

Mike Riley was awful. Frost hasn't been cutting it, but Riley had to go.

Yeah that’s the one I understand.. I just don’t think you guys appreciated how hard 9-3 seasons are for anyone to pull off in the modern area. The spread offense hitting created ripple effects that equalized everything. And there were many others

Reactions: Riveting
Yeah that’s the one I understand.. I just don’t think you guys appreciated how hard 9-3 seasons are for anyone to pull off in the modern area. The spread offense hitting created ripple effects that equalized everything. And there were many others

Agreed, but it was hard for a fan base that was used to excellence. We were spoiled and are now paying for it.

We still are getting burnt from the music city bowl. We hired More and our DB's haven't improved under his coaching. We've either made bad hiring decisions or we will improve dramatically next year. I think we're all sick of saying "next year".

Reactions: Boiler8285
Nebraska's mistake was firing Bo Pelini. They would have stayed on par with Iowa and Wisconsin in the West if he was still there. Sometimes accepting what you are (perennial top 25 team) and not trying to be what you aren't (NC contender) is the better route to take.
Eh.. We can agree to disagree there. Bo needed to go, and it had nothing to do with the on-field product. Nebraska athletics made some horrible decisions dating back to hiring Solich, but it isn't just coaches. We've had horrible admins and AD's as well.

Eh.. We can agree to disagree there. Bo needed to go, and it had nothing to do with the on-field product. Nebraska athletics made some horrible decisions dating back to hiring Solich, but it isn't just coaches. We've had horrible admins and AD's as well.
Eh, screw Nebraska. I graduated from Purdue and moved to Colorado in the late 80s. You obnoxious fans were everywhere out here just like Noter Dame fans in the mid west. You corn fed ****s were everywhere acting like your shit never stank. I remember telling your “golly gee wilicker” chubby faces that you wouldn’t always be on top but nooooooo, you were a fricken dynasty. Nebraska, a dynasty. Hahahahhahahahhaa Colorado beat your ass like 63-12 soon after.

Hey wait, I drove through your stinking state like 20 times going between a real place to live (Colorado) and a real place to get educated (Purdue) and the only reason to stop in your town would have been to take a crap or get gas. Who would live there, voluntarily?

Diaco shouldn’t get a pass.. the pandemic didn’t make him run an anemic 3-3-5 against the wild cat

Eh, screw Nebraska. I graduated from Purdue and moved to Colorado in the late 80s. You obnoxious fans were everywhere out here just like Noter Dame fans in the mid west. You corn fed ****s were everywhere acting like your shit never stank. I remember telling your “golly gee wilicker” chubby faces that you wouldn’t always be on top but nooooooo, you were a fricken dynasty. Nebraska, a dynasty. Hahahahhahahahhaa Colorado beat your ass like 63-12 soon after.
kingpin-ernie-mccracken-wow-bill-murray-animated-gif.gif

Hey wait, I drove through your stinking state like 20 times going between a real place to live (Colorado) and a real place to get educated (Purdue) and the only reason to stop in your town would have been to take a crap or get gas. Who would live there, voluntarily?
You sure are an angry little man aren't you?

All I’ve heard off the field on your board is that he told the truth about the fans

Reactions: purduepat1969
The Nebraska site has a really quick trigger. Pretty sensitive bunch.

If more Nebraska fans had the attitude you expressed earlier I wouldn’t mess with them.

When I see comments like “well in year three we shouldn’t really be happy about wins against programs like Iowa, northwestern and Purdue” I just feel like those fans don’t get it.

There was a time when a Nebraska could give out 100+ schollies and promise kids that they’d be on tv every week. Back in that time sure you could be “back” in three years.

Now that is all equal and spread passing offenses have equalized everything .. what Purdue once did to the big ten in 98 has been done right back to Purdue by CMU and EMU.

You should always be thankful to beat those programs and compete for anything in the big ten ... Nebraska fans (many) think that that must mean we are saying Nebraska is shit in terms of their commitment to football compared to 2001 and before ...

No, that’s not it. There was a great equalizing period.. and only about ten programs maintained elite status through that period.

If a Nebraska fan came to me and wanted the truth beyond that I would tell them that until they get QBs who are passers first .. who see the field and can use the field with quick decisions first, the struggles will continue even with all the athletes.

They’d be much better off with your athletes.. with David blough and coaches who could coach a fully functional passing attack, than with Martinez or mccaffrey or whatever athlete they wanna run out there

I’m not saying any of this means they won’t beat us. We suck lol.. but that’s my real non shit talking Nebraska take

You sure are an angry little man aren't you?
No really. Guys that have nothing to do with Nebraska football strutting around in their Walmart sweatshirts talking shit about dynasties were hilarious. I’m not angry, I’m laughing at you. And BTW, you were only good because Tom Osborne actively recruited sociopaths and then covered up for them.

Oops sorry, one of your oompaloompas will be by shortly to chastise me for not calling him Dr. Tom Osborne.

No really. Guys that have nothing to do with Nebraska football strutting around in their Walmart sweatshirts talking shit about dynasties were hilarious. I’m not angry, I’m laughing at you. And BTW, you were only good because Tom Osborne actively recruited sociopaths and then covered up for them.

Oops sorry, one of your oompaloompas will be by shortly to chastise me for not calling him Dr. Tom Osborne.

Look out. We got a badass here.

Look out. We got a badass here.
[/QUOTMade the trip to NE for the Boilers first game there. I have NEVER been more impressed by opposing fans in all my life. We were treated like royalty while in our Purdue gear. Didn’t buy a beverage or food the entire day. Every person we came in contact with was very personal. Penn State last year was almost as good.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT