ADVERTISEMENT

Encouraging Covid vaccine test results

To be put a little less condescendingly, I think his point is that the vaccine production and development has not been rushed or affected by who was president or the election year. People in the medical field have their opinions on politicians but their work doesn't bow to them. The scientists developing the vaccine weren't going to rush the vaccine so it could be out by election day. They weren't going to delay its development because they didn't like the incumbent either.

Obviously conspiracies fly around but after talking to my wife and her numerous colleagues in the medical field it is pretty clear to me that their work with patients and general public health is always priority number one. If they don't like the current president they simply express that through their voting not by their efforts at work.
I hate to get into the weeds here but people are naive to not question the timing.

So let’s go, VP Biden’s former chief of staff is Steve Richetti. The same guy who was/is also a K street lobbyist for big pharma - including...what’s that? Pfizer. The campaign brought him in as a consultant to head up fundraising and brought in a shit ton of money at expensive per plate events (including pharma).

He is also rumored to be on the short list for Biden’s chief of staff.

So if you were a company/industry and your long time K street lobbyist has an inside track to being the future Chief of Staff of the most powerful man in the world would you take any steps to tip the scales?

I hate to get into the weeds here but people are naive to not question the timing.

So let’s go, VP Biden’s former chief of staff is Steve Richetti. The same guy who was/is also a K street lobbyist for big pharma - including...what’s that? Pfizer. The campaign brought him in as a consultant to head up fundraising and brought in a shit ton of money at expensive per plate events (including pharma).

So if you were a company/industry and your long time K street lobbyist has an inside track to being the future Chief of Staff of the most powerful man in the world would you take any steps to tip the scales?
It would be one thing if the USA was the only country without one or if there were rumblings from scientists in other countries that things were unnecessarily getting held up. Germany and England are on the same track as the USA to approving and getting a vaccine. Astrazeneca's vaccine had a little snafu about a month ago that got its trials halted in the USA but those trials are back on and it was never thought to be the eventual first one developed. The only vaccines that have been proclaimed as finished and ready for use are from Russia and China so take that for what you will also.

This is also still crazy fast for a vaccine in general. Speaking as someone who identifies as centrist and gets equally annoyed with liberals and conservatives, I just don't see any real evidence that medical professions are slow rolling this thing to screw over Trump.

Last edited:

To give you a better picture of where I lie with all this. I fully plan on voting against Whitmer in the next election she is up for in Michigan. I got laid off due to the obnoxiously slow reopening here in Michigan, California, and New York where a significant amount of our business was done. When Whitmer refused to let a drive in movie theater reopen, after it became clear that transmission of this virus at such a venue would be difficult, she completely lost me. She leaned into her pissing match with Trump at the cost of thousands of jobs.

I don't see that level of political slow rolling with the vaccine production. This vaccine does ultimately need to work and unfortunately efficacy takes time to figure out. These vaccines will have cost millions by the time its said and done. Skipping or speeding through efficacy tests only increases the risk of putting out a vaccine that doesn't even work and wasting all the money spent on them.

Vaccine development at all major companies has benefited enormously from the clearinghouse coordination provided by the NIH through it's ACTIV program, and by the FDA streamlining the approval process without compromising the safety of the vaccine (in spite of what a certain VEEP candidate implied during the campaign). With the distribution plan also getting bipartisan kudos, the Administration can take its share of the credit, chaotic elements of the rest of its response notwithstanding.

You actually think any of these companies trying to make a vaccine give a shit who is president? They're in this to make money and that's it; while hoping they're first to market for the good PR by being "saviors".

Hopefully this vaccine does work and others come up with one as well since it will take a long long time before it will be available to everyone.
This is called the free market incentive and it has worked in America from the start. See a need, make a quality product to meet the need and people buy it. Don’t make this sound like a bad thing.

This is called the free market incentive and it has worked in America from the start. See a need, make a quality product to meet the need and people buy it. Don’t make this sound like a bad thing.
Never said it was a bad thing. Just pointing out to that guy it doesn't matter who is president, if they see an opportunity to make money, they will do so.

To give you a better picture of where I lie with all this. I fully plan on voting against Whitmer in the next election she is up for in Michigan. I got laid off due to the obnoxiously slow reopening here in Michigan, California, and New York where a significant amount of our business was done. When Whitmer refused to let a drive in movie theater reopen, after it became clear that transmission of this virus at such a venue would be difficult, she completely lost me. She leaned into her pissing match with Trump at the cost of thousands of jobs.

I don't see that level of political slow rolling with the vaccine production. This vaccine does ultimately need to work and unfortunately efficacy takes time to figure out. These vaccines will have cost millions by the time its said and done. Skipping or speeding through efficacy tests only increases the risk of putting out a vaccine that doesn't even work and wasting all the money spent on them.
Sorry to hear about the job, I don't think history will be kind to the slow reopenings in some states. Speaking of New York, appears Cuomo is going to try and slow roll the distribution of vaccine. I would assume he is off on an island on this one.

It sure has been a shot in the arm for the stock market with the Dow possibly hitting 30,000 today.
S&P 500 now up 10% on year
NASDAQ up 31% on year
DOW up 3%

Pretty darn impressive, given where the market was in March.

Reactions: Bill4411
While I don’t believe this was slow rolled, the info release could have been easily delayed 10-14 days with a simple request from a CEO or Board by asking for the scientist to “double check the numbers, we don’t want to get this wrong” vs. a public announcement of “we’ve got something that’s 90% effective based on our data. We are going through a double check on the numbers to make sure we are right - expect final data in 10-14 days”. Anyone who thinks that comment if made two weeks ago wouldn’t have had some effect on the election is nuts.

Would it have swung it? Who knows, and at this point who cares. We will get the government we as a country wanted including higher taxes, attempts at a national mask mandate (which dems admit the President can’t do), higher gasoline costs, and a slowing economy after we finish the bounce-back from the Q1/Q2 shutdowns. In essence we go back to Obama’s garbage of 2% per annum growth and an ossification of people’s economic status to whatever the are born to.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

and people wonder whyTrump supporters believe in “conspiracy theories”....maybe because the dots are so easy to connect

While I don’t believe this was slow rolled, the info release could have been easily delayed 10-14 days with a simple request from a CEO or Board by asking for the scientist to “double check the numbers, we don’t want to get this wrong” vs. a public announcement of “we’ve got something that’s 90% effective based on our data. We are going through a double check on the numbers to make sure we are right - expect final data in 10-14 days”. Anyone who thinks that comment if made two weeks ago wouldn’t have had some effect on the election is nuts.

Would it have swung it? Who knows, and at this point who cares. We will get the government we as a country wanted including higher taxes, attempts at a national mask mandate (which dems admit the President can’t do), higher gasoline costs, and a slowing economy after we finish the bounce-back from the Q1/Q2 shutdowns. In essence we go back to Obama’s garbage of 2% per annum growth and an ossification of people’s economic status to whatever the are born to.

60 minutes just did a story on the vaccine last night....they didn’t magically get that footage in the last 5 days

I applaud you for seeing thru the partisan politics. Biden is going to unify the country if you can believe the liberal narrative

You actually think any of these companies trying to make a vaccine give a shit who is president? They're in this to make money and that's it; while hoping they're first to market for the good PR by being "saviors".

Hopefully this vaccine does work and others come up with one as well since it will take a long long time before it will be available to everyone.

Many companies are selling the vaccine at cost. And quite frankly, vaccines aren't terribly profitable to begin with. Your assertion that companies are in it "to make money and thats it" is false

So, Democrats are wanting to wait to distribute this until after Biden is in office so that he can claim FULL credit for solving the virus as promised! Even you Democrats have to admit the hypocrisy in this plan. The Dems are politicizing the curing of a pandemic, and Republicans are the bad guys? Wake up America!!!

Reactions: TheGunner
Reactions: Smattson

The mindset of modern Republicans is hard to process. It's this huge group that are all in the varying stages of grief... The denial is still strong, but there's definitely some anger too.

As a moderate living in the US right now, that automatically puts me left of center... Especially in a red state like IN. I do straddle the line living just inside NW Monroe County (yes, Bloomington. It's beautiful country away from town. Just avoid Spencer, Bedford, and Martinsville 😂)

My facebook is a spectrum of declarations of divine retribution coming/the end is nigh, to fake stories about ballots of disabled veterans being burned with a US flag as tinder, to Biden raising taxes 400% and forcible gun confiscation beginning Jan 22 by a task force funded by Soros... Truth is stranger than fiction. I can't make up stuff this absurd.

It's insanity and it reminds me of sitting with my Dad in the Wal-Mart parking lot waiting for my Mom. We would sit and just watch, laugh, make inappropriate comments... basically PeopleofWalmart.com before the internet. Now it's seeing people you knew years ago that gave no appearances other than decently intelligent, rational people... Now just openly admitting how much they've been duped and doubling and tripling-down.

Dems need to stfu too. They wildly underperformed in House snd Senate... Basically showing this wasn't a 'blue-wave', it was a repudiation of Trumpism. Schumer and Pelosi need to reject the woke social-left and focus on the things that we can change with real-life policy. The 'everyone and everything" is racist crap is a waste and accomplishes nothing except turning away potential allies. No one likes walking on eggshells in simple conversation (left), or the constant victim mentality (right).

After passing a robust stimulus, go hard on renewables, infrastructure, and a public-option. Environmental reform (rollbacks of Trump). Reallocate funding to helping those who need it and raise taxes on the rich to a fair rate. Pay your share. That's it.

Legalize and tax weed, and tax the church for interfering in gov't. Bam. We just got enough money to have UBI, single-payer healthcare, house all the homeless, free college... With money left over.

Nah let's just argue about the same red/blue BS while the same shriveled up demonspawn in Congress rake in cash-handshakes

The mindset of modern Republicans is hard to process. It's this huge group that are all in the varying stages of grief... The denial is still strong, but there's definitely some anger too.

As a moderate living in the US right now, that automatically puts me left of center... Especially in a red state like IN. I do straddle the line living just inside NW Monroe County (yes, Bloomington. It's beautiful country away from town. Just avoid Spencer, Bedford, and Martinsville 😂)

My facebook is a spectrum of declarations of divine retribution coming/the end is nigh, to fake stories about ballots of disabled veterans being burned with a US flag as tinder, to Biden raising taxes 400% and forcible gun confiscation beginning Jan 22 by a task force funded by Soros... Truth is stranger than fiction. I can't make up stuff this absurd.

It's insanity and it reminds me of sitting with my Dad in the Wal-Mart parking lot waiting for my Mom. We would sit and just watch, laugh, make inappropriate comments... basically PeopleofWalmart.com before the internet. Now it's seeing people you knew years ago that gave no appearances other than decently intelligent, rational people... Now just openly admitting how much they've been duped and doubling and tripling-down.

Dems need to stfu too. They wildly underperformed in House snd Senate... Basically showing this wasn't a 'blue-wave', it was a repudiation of Trumpism. Schumer and Pelosi need to reject the woke social-left and focus on the things that we can change with real-life policy. The 'everyone and everything" is racist crap is a waste and accomplishes nothing except turning away potential allies. No one likes walking on eggshells in simple conversation (left), or the constant victim mentality (right).

After passing a robust stimulus, go hard on renewables, infrastructure, and a public-option. Environmental reform (rollbacks of Trump). Reallocate funding to helping those who need it and raise taxes on the rich to a fair rate. Pay your share. That's it.

Legalize and tax weed, and tax the church for interfering in gov't. Bam. We just got enough money to have UBI, single-payer healthcare, house all the homeless, free college... With money left over.

Nah let's just argue about the same red/blue BS while the same shriveled up demonspawn in Congress rake in cash-handshakes
FYI - You are actually pretty close to AOC/Bernie agenda, which isn't in same zip code as a moderate. Trumps leadership style was repudiated in election, and the far left policy agenda was repudiated in election.

Reactions: PurduePharm

You're surely no moderate

You're surely no moderate

This is another problem with both sides... No one recognizes nuance anymore... It's all black/white, fascist/communist... There's no room for debate or conversation when everything is immediately interpreted in the most extreme way possible.

Maybe you're right... In the US I'm closer to AOC than Biden. From a pure policy, geopolitical perspective, I'm moderate. Americans just don't understand how much our system is inherently skewed to the right compared to comparable developed democracies

For those who need explanation: Americans have voted for Dems 7 of the last 8 elections. It's easy to forget 2000 and 2016, but Republicans lost the vote both times

Healthcare and masks are political here. That's not normal. Our center is not a real center... Its the middle of two extremes where no grey area exists. 🤐

You're much farther left than you admit to yourself. I hated pubs about 70% pre election and post election about 85% with all the whining, but I do think there was definitely cheating (as I think there always had been, because some people can't help themselves and just cheat) so they do have something to whine about.

But I hate dems at about a 95% clip pre election and 99% post. The insufferable hypocrisy of the left just leaves me floored. The party you believe to be moderate voted greater than 30% in the primaries for socialism and you're talking UBI and free college as a right that's not moderate positioning.

What cracks me up is in 2016 Trump needed to be investigated for rigging the election with Russia. They had a spy in his campaign, multiple 3 letter agencies out to get him and a dossier bought and paid for by the opposition. I didn't vote for Trump and as an American wanted to see what happened. It turns out it was largely bullshit and we wasted tons of tax payer money to see results that the ones investigating already knew was almost all false.

Fast forward to 2020 and we have mail in voting which both parties agreed for years was ripe for fraud (Biden himself in the past was against it for just that reason and gave speeches against it), and the pubs feel like some wonky shit went on and want it investigated, but the dems have the result they want so they say our election was safe and free of fraud and want no investigations. That we should move on and all come together as a country again.

These are the same people I've spent the last 4 years watching melt down over Trump's Presidency, trying to thwart it in any way possible and threatening to radically change the way this country has operated for over a hundred years, because they didn't get their way. Its lunacy. People have always been really stupid. I know I am, but so few people can truly be honest with themselves anymore. Clearly you aren't as you laughably consider yourself a moderate.

S&P 500 now up 10% on year
NASDAQ up 31% on year
DOW up 3%

Pretty darn impressive, given where the market was in March.

That’s what several trillions of dollars of stimulus and the multi-year promise of zero-rates gets you. But unfortunately we’re still down around 10M lost jobs since February that have yet to be recouped. Will probably be 2022 before GDP passes the level it was at in 2019. We have a long way to go with the economy, despite the market highs.

This is another problem with both sides... No one recognizes nuance anymore... It's all black/white, fascist/communist... There's no room for debate or conversation when everything is immediately interpreted in the most extreme way possible.

Maybe you're right... In the US I'm closer to AOC than Biden. From a pure policy, geopolitical perspective, I'm moderate. Americans just don't understand how much our system is inherently skewed to the right compared to comparable developed democracies
That’s a feature not a bug. Western Europeans laugh at the Swiss because they’re “conservative”. Switzerland’s government structure is literally modeled after ours and was adopted in 1848.

Sorry to hear about the job, I don't think history will be kind to the slow reopenings in some states. Speaking of New York, appears Cuomo is going to try and slow roll the distribution of vaccine. I would assume he is off on an island on this one.

Appreciate it. Not sure if the Cuomo was supposed to be evidence that they are slow rolling. Cuomo is a politician. I am saying the medical community particularly the ones working on the vaccine haven't shown any sign of slow rolling. I am fully aware that Cuomo is an idiot.

I continue to be amazed by the lack of understanding of the Grand Compromise by people on the left. It was devised 200+ years ago to ensure that the large states couldn't simply overwhelm the small states during a Presidential election. It was legislated to ensure that a President had to represent, or at least attempt to, all the states and thus all the people. As a lifelong Midwest resident, I am happy for this, as it means that my vote actually means something, and I can't be simply dictated to by the coasts.

Biden is President elect, the country needs to come to grips with that. That said, the small sinister part of me, wishes he would face the outlandish scrutiny encountered by the current administration with continued investigations, the childish behavior of politicians (tearing up the state of the union address) and outright lies by some senators and house members. The last four years has been about establishment politicians and bureaucrats trying to make sure they keep their power and money. Be clear, Washington is a cesspool of some of the lowest life forms on this planet, who live on the earnings and achievements of everyone else and add little to no value to our lives - regardless of which side of the aisle they sit.

The much larger portion of me, hopes that Biden won't think he and the Dems won some sort of "mandate". Anyone who believes that merely has to realize: 1) that nearly 50% of the country voted against the new administration, 2) that the House is now less Blue than it was, and 3) the Senate looks to be about equal. I hope he will ignore the radicals on the Left and be able to reach across the aisle to the moderate Right to find centrist policies that work for the vast majority of our country. Unfortunately we haven't seen that type of leader in over 2 decades.

Reactions: LSLBoiler
I continue to be amazed by the lack of understanding of the Grand Compromise by people on the left. It was devised 200+ years ago to ensure that the large states couldn't simply overwhelm the small states during a Presidential election. It was legislated to ensure that a President had to represent, or at least attempt to, all the states and thus all the people. As a lifelong Midwest resident, I am happy for this, as it means that my vote actually means something, and I can't be simply dictated to by the coasts.

Biden is President elect, the country needs to come to grips with that. That said, the small sinister part of me, wishes he would face the outlandish scrutiny encountered by the current administration with continued investigations, the childish behavior of politicians (tearing up the state of the union address) and outright lies by some senators and house members. The last four years has been about establishment politicians and bureaucrats trying to make sure they keep their power and money. Be clear, Washington is a cesspool of some of the lowest life forms on this planet, who live on the earnings and achievements of everyone else and add little to no value to our lives - regardless of which side of the aisle they sit.

The much larger portion of me, hopes that Biden won't think he and the Dems won some sort of "mandate". Anyone who believes that merely has to realize: 1) that nearly 50% of the country voted against the new administration, 2) that the House is now less Blue than it was, and 3) the Senate looks to be about equal. I hope he will ignore the radicals on the Left and be able to reach across the aisle to the moderate Right to find centrist policies that work for the vast majority of our country. Unfortunately we haven't seen that type of leader in over 2 decades.
+10,000

Resist. Overturn. Boycott. Surveil. Leak. Impeach. And now they tell us it’s time to heal. Where were they for the last four years? When Democrats say they want “unity,” what they really mean is they want submission.

Resist. Overturn. Boycott. Surveil. Leak. Impeach. And now they tell us it’s time to heal. Where were they for the last four years? When Democrats say they want “unity,” what they really mean is they want submission.
Unity....under “their tent”

"And just like that the rioting and looting has ceased overnight. And now the half of the country that pummeled America like a bettered wife is telling her to put on her sunglasses, hide her black eye, be a good girl, and "come together as one." Her answer? "Go fork yourself."---James Woods

EDIT: Biden will be inaugurated. However, we must do something to fix the way votes are counted. Did we learn nothing from FL in 2000 and Ohio a couple elections later?

Reactions: Chicago Joe

Yeah and Republicans are just saints who play 100% clean politics under the direction of the lord himself. Give me a break.

Just more political theatre and hypocrisy from the party where a problem isn't a problem unless it personally affects them. I could just imagine if Obama's WH had conducted itself like Trump's.

Now that would be hilarious. The screeching would've been worse and non-stop

I do agree in environment concerns, but do also realize free market has us with cleanest water and we have lowered our air immisions vs most of the industrial world. But progress needs to continue.

One thing...You might consider: PAYING for the programs we have NOW before thinking about adding new programs you list. SS, medicare and medicade don't have enough money now and you buy into adding new programs? I worry alot about disabled & vulnerable older Americans if the SS or Med money runs out for example as all prediictions say it will.

Ed

BSIT: I got corrected by several for posting just what you did. I now am totally confused and don’t know what to believe! To switch to another issue: the CEO of Pfizer sold 60% of his Pfizer stock on the same day that he announced the results of covid vaccine trial. What do you think about that?

Reactions: BSIT
Ed

BSIT: I got corrected by several for posting just what you did. I now am totally confused and don’t know what to believe! To switch to another issue: the CEO of Pfizer sold 60% of his Pfizer stock on the same day that he announced the results of covid vaccine trial. What do you think about that?
As the saying goes "sell on the news". With that being said, that is a chunk to sell at one time. Furthermore there seems to be politics going on by announcing results 1 week after the election. Seems to me Big Pharma has more to gain with Biden than Trump

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Furthermore there seems to be politics going on by announcing results 1 week after the election. Seems to me Big Pharma has more to gain with Biden than Trump
Oh there was definitely a lot of politics involved around vaccine.

Fauci - One week before the election disputed Trump administration claims that vaccine would be widely available by March/April (earlier for highest risk group). Fauci said it would be late 2021 or even early 2022.

Fauci - After Biden is declared winner. Fauci goes on his favorite network (CNN), and predicts the vaccine would be widely available for distribution by April. Essentially same timeline as Trump was saying prior to election. But as Fauci says "I am not political".

Reactions: BSIT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT