ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Brees is the greatest of all time

Put numbers where your wide mouth is.

Numbers don’t dictate greatest of all-time. You’re using a category (yards per game) to dictate best QB of all-time which is patently absurd. You’re inferring that guys like Jamesis Winston and Jared Goff are better QB’s than Marino, Montana, Elway, Farve simply because they average more yards a game. It’s 100% the by-product of the era in which they played. This kind of take from you should call for immediate grounds of revoked posting privileges. I’m arguing with a complete moron.

Are you Matt18Jones?

Numbers don’t dictate greatest of all-time. You’re using a category (yards per game) to dictate best QB of all-time which is patently absurd. You’re inferring that guys like Jamesis Winston and Jared Goff are better QB’s than Marino, Montana, Elway, Farve simply because they average more yards a game. It’s 100% the by-product of the era in which they played. This kind of take from you should call for immediate grounds of revoked posting privileges. I’m arguing with a complete moron.

Are you Matt18Jones?

Read the opening post, dumbass.

Again, prove it.

He’s not. The fact that he’s been all-pro only once and hasn’t won a single MVP shows he’s not even the best QB of his era, let alone all-time. Most of Brees statistical records will be broken in the next 10-15 years when guys like Stafford, Mahomes, etc retire. They’re just numbers.

He’s not. The fact that he’s been all-pro only once and hasn’t won a single MVP shows he’s not even the best QB of his era, let alone all-time. Most of Brees statistical records will be broken in the next 10-15 years when guys like Stafford, Mahomes, etc retire. They’re just numbers.

Just numbers ... MVP voting. All-Pro voting ... You're a broken record ... the only one Brees didn't do.

Just numbers ... MVP voting. All-Pro voting ... You're a broken record ... the only one Brees didn't do.

Because it’s obviously detrimental to your case. LeBron James has only lead the league once in scoring in his 17 year career. Going to argue where he stands among the all-time greats?

Because it’s obviously detrimental to your case. LeBron James has only lead the league once in scoring in his 17 year career. Going to argue where he stands among the all-time greats?

You point to numbers based solely on opinions. I show numbers from actual performance.

Brees tops everyone in history in the NFL record books. Your opinions only swirl in a bowl.

You point to numbers based solely on opinions. I show numbers from actual performance.

Brees tops everyone in history in the NFL record books. Your opinions only swirl in a bowl.

Karl Malone has more points than Michael Jordan. Going to argue Karl Malone was a better scorer than Michael Jordan?

Karl Malone has more points than Michael Jordan. Going to argue Karl Malone was a better scorer than Michael Jordan?

Again, Brees has all the all-time records -- career totals in yardage, touchdowns, completions and attempts, career yards per game, career completion percentage, most 5,000-yard seasons, most 300-yard games … and more.

Karl Malone only had Jerry Sloan, who I saw play in high school.

Since you love numbers so much, do you think Brees leads Brady now in number of broken ribs?

Again, Brees has all the all-time records -- career totals in yardage, touchdowns, completions and attempts, career yards per game, career completion percentage, most 5,000-yard seasons, most 300-yard games … and more.

Karl Malone only had Jerry Sloan, who I saw play in high school.

The only number that REALLY counts.....Super Bowl rings

"The only number that REALLY counts.....Super Bowl rings "

Like that recent article about the former Purdue player with now an NBA championship ring. Nice to get when you're not an actual player! But I do give some credit for being on the staff.

Reactions: Born Boiler
I recall three basketball players who all played basically at the same time. Rick Mount, Elvin Hayes and Lew Alcindor. Of the three, Alcindor scored the fewest points and the second most rebounds. Which of the three would you say was the greatest college basketball player? Now you have Yannis verses an aging LeBron. Who's the better player? if you play fantasy basketball, the pick is easy. But in real life, it's LeBron.

Can you see the parallels to your Brees comments? The rules have changed in the NFL. They play more games and they favor passing. Naturally , the QB is going to put up better stats, much like basketball players score more points once the 3 point shot was implemented.

I saw a recent survey that reflected the top 10 RBs of all time in the NFL. Not one RB in that list played before 1965. I have to believe there were a couple who were great before that era. Red Grange comes to mind. Was Nolan Ryan better than Cy Young? Is Kershaw better than Bob Gibson? is Breese truly better than Joe Montana?

In the old days, if you had a 10 point lead, you didn't try to keep running up the score like you do now. Teams passed less and played ball control and managed the clock. Now teams air it out even when they have big leads. Does that truly make the QB better?

if the only thing that matters is championship rings, then Robert Horry is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Reactions: Inspector100
Given a choice I believe Curly Lambeau may be the greatest QB of all time. they named a frozen tundra after him. and he's basically the first QB to incorporate the forward pass. and he's in the NFL hall of fame. and he also has a few championships too.

but....but..... but.... his stats.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You play more games. and you play inside a dome, one would expect your stats to be greater. Favre won his only Super Bowl playing in New Orleans!

Reactions: NVboiler

You play more games. and you play inside a dome, one would expect your stats to be greater. Favre won his only Super Bowl playing in New Orleans!

And Brees won outside while outplaying Manning.

But not without great help.

Elvin Hayes has better “stats” than Russell. Blocks of course weren’t a statistical category during Russell’s playing days, but he in my opinion is the master shot blocker. Was able to block an opposing players shot while his team retained possession instead of trying to send it to the moon.

Russell was the best player of his era winning 5 MVP’s in 13 years.

Elvin Hayes has better “stats” than Russell. Blocks of course weren’t a statistical category during Russell’s playing days, but he in my opinion is the master shot blocker. Was able to block an opposing players shot while his team retained possession instead of trying to send it to the moon.

Russell was the best player of his era winning 5 MVP’s in 13 years.

Ah, but Elvin had big shoes to fill.

My ex-brother-in-law holds several world track records while at Purdue that never will be broken. Is he a real track star? No. They staged several events which he won, something like the 300 yard and 500 yard runs. That was just before all track events had to be in meters and no one else ever ran these events.

Likewise, as the number of games a year has increased, playing indoors, changing the rules, performance drug use, new better equipment, etc., past accomplishments cannot be really compared with present ones. And to me, it's ridiculous making claims to who is the best athlete based on statistics when the game itself has changed. The basis of all sports is to WIN games, not pile up statistics.

Reactions: Purdue85
My ex-brother-in-law holds several world track records while at Purdue that never will be broken. Is he a real track star? No. They staged several events which he won, something like the 300 yard and 500 yard runs. That was just before all track events had to be in meters and no one else ever ran these events.

Likewise, as the number of games a year has increased, playing indoors, changing the rules, performance drug use, new better equipment, etc., past accomplishments cannot be really compared with present ones. And to me, it's ridiculous making claims to who is the best athlete based on statistics when the game itself has changed. The basis of all sports is to WIN games, not pile up statistics.

Agreed.

The game today favors the offense today, especially the QB, more than it ever has. Brees statistically today leads the majority of passing categories given the climate and longevity of his career. He undoubtedly is a first hall of famer and an undisputed top 10 QB. But he’s not the greatest QB of all time, not even the best of his era, by a long shot and his statistical records will eventually be broken when the new era QB’s. It’s inevitable.

Agreed.

The game today favors the offense today, especially the QB, more than it ever has. Brees statistically today leads the majority of passing categories given the climate and longevity of his career. He undoubtedly is a first hall of famer and an undisputed top 10 QB. But he’s not the greatest QB of all time, not even the best of his era, by a long shot and his statistical records will eventually be broken when the new era QB’s. It’s inevitable.

Yeah, these days, just about anyone can throw for 5,000 yards in a season. Once.
1) Manning 5,477 (including 11-yard lateral)
2) Brees 5,476
3) Brady 5,235
4) Brees 5,208
5) Brees 5,177
6) Brees 5,162

7) Roethlisberger 5,129
8) Winston 5,109
9) Mahomes 5,097
10) Marino 5,084
11) Brees 5,069
12) Stafford 5,038
Who's "not even the best of his era?" By a long shot.

Winning involves a whole team. A whole program. A franchise. But all team components are measured precisely and recorded for each game, as has been the case since man discovered pigskin, and no one quarterback beats Brees. No one.

And if your brother-in-law holds the record for running 10 feet backwards on one leg, he’s the very best at that. No one can prove otherwise. Facts are facts.

Favorites are fun and to be celebrated. But Drew of Purdue owns all the records.

Yeah, these days, just about anyone can throw for 5,000 yards in a season. Once.
1) Manning 5,477 (including 11-yard lateral)
2) Brees 5,476
3) Brady 5,235
4) Brees 5,208
5) Brees 5,177
6) Brees 5,162

7) Roethlisberger 5,129
8) Winston 5,109
9) Mahomes 5,097
10) Marino 5,084
11) Brees 5,069
12) Stafford 5,038
Who's "not even the best of his era?" By a long shot.

Throwing for “X amount of yards” doesn’t make you the best passer just like making the longest putt doesn’t make you the best putter. It’s the product of the system in which Brees plays.

Throwing for “X amount of yards” doesn’t make you the best passer just like making the longest putt doesn’t make you the best putter. It’s the product of the system in which Brees plays.

Amazing how Drew's system is the only one in NFL history ever to do so much.

Good thing New Orleans bought that copyright.

if the only thing that matters is championship rings, then Robert Horry is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Was Robert Horry in the most important position on the court? Did he take the most shots? Did he have the ball in crunch time? When his team absolutely, positively needed a bucket, was the ball in his hands? Could he take over a game?

Heres one for @Born Boiler Elway or Montana?
Was Robert Horry in the most important position on the court? Did he take the most shots? Did he have the ball in crunch time? When his team absolutely, positively needed a bucket, was the ball in his hands? Could he take over a game?
Big shot bob did have the ball in crunch time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT