ADVERTISEMENT

Down deep you know Burk is happy

pb1941

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 8, 2007
If a Hazell coached team here at Purdue would have won 8 or 9 games this year after going 1-11 the first year at Purdue then schools like Col. State, Florida maybe even Neb.would be after our coach. Another bad dream!!

Originally posted by pb1941:

If a Hazell coached team here at Purdue would have won 8 or 9 games this year after going 1-11 the first year at Purdue then schools like Col. State, Florida maybe even Neb.would be after our coach. Another bad dream!!
Colorado St? GTFO

No he's not. what would have made him happy was winning enough games to not have to dip into his reserves to pay things off and delay future projects. He's only happy if it doesn't impact the bottom line, and it has.

Agree, Doc.

After reflecting on his comments the other day, I think there are several equally valid directions to take his comments:

1. Hes clueless about what to do to fix the problem.
2. Hes biding time to retirement
3. Hes not ready to admit he screwed up the atheletic department by even the fiscal measure

Personally, I think hes extremely reactionary. So he waits for something to break, takes it to his superiors, and gets traction. Im encouraged about his words of 'transformational renovation', 'front door for Ross Aide', and 'Examining how the athletic department works'. It makes me think him and Daniels will take significant action to fix this.

Im discouraged by other statements.

Im not sure if hes just giving boiler plate praise to coaching staff and giving them a third year or if he actually thinks they are the right people for the job. Everyone keeps talking about Hazells character and vision like those make good football teams.

Also, if the 'fans built facilities' comments are a primer for vital donations, hes going to fall on his face. On the other hand, if they switch around the finances and make a significant investment on their own and ask for donations that arent vital to the project going forward, I think he gets a lot more money.

The thing that really bothers me lately about Burke is that in his speeches he continually puts the onus of how to fix the problems on external factors such as the fans. A common denominator of most of his speeches seem to be that everything can be fixed if we would just give more. And while that's true. That's just not the way the game works. We don't give more so that his job is easier. It's his job to do his $%^&ing job and make us better so we give more. It's really starting to bother me hwo the entire athletic department and even going back to the JPC and the Nancy Cross BS constantly treat the fans and people who are paying the bills with an almost smugness of... well sure you're giving but we are sucking right now because you aren't giving more. That's what I get from them. And it's maddening.

Even when he said they had the money and would break the bank to ensure that Hazell had all the resources, what was the next thing he did.... he broke out the reserves for 1/3 of what he said he had, and raised season ticket prices and instituted seat license to get the other 2/3rds. It's BS. And it's time for a change. He's just lost touch with how the game works. He's respected, and he has a wealth of knowledge but he's paralyzed in analysis over getting things done to get things done in a timely manner.

Originally posted by Dr_billy_badass:
The thing that really bothers me lately about Burke is that in his speeches he continually puts the onus of how to fix the problems on external factors such as the fans. A common denominator of most of his speeches seem to be that everything can be fixed if we would just give more. And while that's true. That's just not the way the game works. We don't give more so that his job is easier. It's his job to do his $%^&ing job and make us better so we give more. It's really starting to bother me hwo the entire athletic department and even going back to the JPC and the Nancy Cross BS constantly treat the fans and people who are paying the bills with an almost smugness of... well sure you're giving but we are sucking right now because you aren't giving more. That's what I get from them. And it's maddening.

Even when he said they had the money and would break the bank to ensure that Hazell had all the resources, what was the next thing he did.... he broke out the reserves for 1/3 of what he said he had, and raised season ticket prices and instituted seat license to get the other 2/3rds. It's BS. And it's time for a change. He's just lost touch with how the game works. He's respected, and he has a wealth of knowledge but he's paralyzed in analysis over getting things done to get things done in a timely manner.

Definitely agree he does the worst job ever of asking for money. Normally, I can see two sides to an argument, but he just sucks at that. He makes me feel like I should write him a big check and apologize for doing it; terrible salesman.

I get the same sense of smugness from him I got from Tiller and Spack from 2006 & 2007. 'We are doing a good job, and you just don't understand because you do something other than screw up Purdue athletics for a living'

On the bolded, its beyond me why he doesn't lower ticket prices as a peace offering, way to fill the stands, and maximize revenue. If the team were to turn the corner, I solidly believe it would be 2 years before they saw any real revenue from it the way they run things now. Conversely, if you could just get people to the stadium you could raise ticket prices quicker, have a good home atmosphere, show recruits a good time, undercut ticket prices with surrounding teams, etc.

Our group of 8 went to the Northwestern game. We looked online and almost pulled the trigger several time on tickets and eventually decided to wing it game day. Someone gave us 3 free tickets before the game. we bought 2 others for 5 a piece off random person who had extras after someone tried to sell us seats for 25 a piece. And we bought 3 more for 20 a piece so we ended up getting 8 for 40 dollars. I spent that much alone on concessions for me my wife and kid, so plus they already got paid for the tickets I bought so maybe there isn't any problem for them here since they are getting their money but it's just a really broken system right now. Did I mention we basically just went in and sat whereever we wanted? It was a lot of fun even in the rain and with people leaving at half.

Although I will say the bottomless $8 hot chocolate/coffee they may have lost money on me. I keep doing half and half at the suggestion of the concession person.

Originally posted by Dr_billy_badass:
Our group of 8 went to the Northwestern game. We looked online and almost pulled the trigger several time on tickets and eventually decided to wing it game day. Someone gave us 3 free tickets before the game. we bought 2 others for 5 a piece off random person who had extras after someone tried to sell us seats for 25 a piece. And we bought 3 more for 20 a piece so we ended up getting 8 for 40 dollars. I spent that much alone on concessions for me my wife and kid, so plus they already got paid for the tickets I bought so maybe there isn't any problem for them here since they are getting their money but it's just a really broken system right now. Did I mention we basically just went in and sat whereever we wanted? It was a lot of fun even in the rain and with people leaving at half.

Although I will say the bottomless $8 hot chocolate/coffee they may have lost money on me. I keep doing half and half at the suggestion of the concession person.
Good point, as I have done similar things this year.

It would be interesting to know how all that works. I bought from one of the $25 dollar guys and noticed all the 40 or so printed tickets he had said they were free, and they werent in the student section.

I think MB wants them to win to the extent it will help pay bills. If Hazell gets the team playing well enough to entertain offers then he will deal with that when it happens.

The seat license is a killer. I sit in the $100 zone but have a friend in the $250 zone with 3 tix. Well this was the last year for that as he is dropping 2 tix and getting a single in the $100 area. I am dropping my extra tix and also lowering my JPC membership. I am tired of eating the tix and helping subsidize the university for whatever amount they get from the athletic dept.

Just curious, what does a season pass cost for the 25/85 sports and if it will have a seat license too? lol!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT